Honda ATV Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I'd like to upgrade to projectors, i read over this thread very fast, probobly too fast, so..... My two part question is, you had to in Larg the oem pod opening to accommodate the larger bulbs ? On my 99 300 the pods are glass, no simple way of in larging the pod opening to accommodate a larger bulb, and on early 300,they were some sort of plastic pods, so...... My other question is, would these bulbs put off enough heat to actually melt/soften/distort those early plastic 300 bulb pods ?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ok let me try this again! Sorry for the delay but this is the 4th freaking time I’m having to type this. The website would randomly freeze up and delete all that I had typed while I was in the middle of typing.

The simple answer is yes, you do need to enlarge the hole to insert the projector but in my case it wasn’t that easy. If you look at this picture.

You can see that the left of the projector, the reflector has 3 different sections to it and the right of the projector has only 2 sections. This created a problem for me and that problem is that the center of the 3 sections on the left stuck out a little more than the sections on the right. This caused the projector to sit in the housing at a angle. So I had to cut and file down that middle section so that the projector, when installed, would sit straight in the housing. This took some time because I didn’t want to take to much material out so I was working slowly with it. Test fitting, trimming some, test fitting, trimming, etc. Once that was completed I need to work on the shrouds. The shrouds are the chrome piece around the projector lens. This also take a lot of time because the key to a good looking shroud install is to trim just enough so that it fits but not trim too much and make large gaps where it meets the housing. You want it to look like the shroud is part of the factory housing. So that took plenty test fits with minor trimming each time. Here’s a couple pictures showing what I had to cut away and how it looks installed.

Now that the projectors were pointing forward and the shrouds were installed I needed to install them on the bike and fire them up. You need to fire them up when installed on the bike to check the rotation of the projector. The cut off line of the light output is so sharp that if the rotation of the projector is off even just a little it messes up how the light shines on the wall. Here is an example of a projector rotation being off.

Notice the passenger side light is level but the driver’s side isn’t. This is what you want to avoid, which is why you test fire them to check/adjust rotation. Once you get everything straight you carefully remove the lights from the bike, making sure you don’t bump the projector and throw the rotation off. Once removed, you then epoxy the back side of the headlight housing and the back side of the projector together so they can’t come loose. This also seals the area between the housing and the projector from moisture.

Once the epoxy on the back side is cured you can now seal the lens back on. This required putting the retrorubber in the track of the housing, clamping the lens in place and baking in the oven to soften. Once that’s done and cooled down you can finally install them on the bike for good. But your not done yet. The H1 HID bulb that these projectors require don’t have a seal nor do they have a holder that keeps the bulb securely in one location. This is a good thing and a bad thing. The good is that you can fine tune the hot spot of the light. The bad is that once you get the bulb exactly where you want it you need to seal that to the back of the projector. I used a High Temp JB Weld Sealant, similar to a RTV. Once that’s all done you are finished!

I hope this helps and doesnt confuse you more.

Wayne

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I should also add that the projector isnt a bulb itself, its simply a housing that the HID bulb goes into that creates the sharp cut off line.

As for the heat that they produce, this they do get warm but not so hot that it would melt the plastic housings. My factory headlight housings are plastic as well.

I just googled what the headlights on your bike look like and if im looking at the correct pictures its a rectangle shaped light. Is that correct? If so, could you do me 2 favors? Measure the size of the rectangle and show me how they attach to the bike? Ive got an idea that might work and may be a little cheaper and no modification on the light would be needed, but a little fabing may be required.

Wayne

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
f so, could you do me 2 favors? Measure the size of the rectangle and show me how they attach to the bike? Ive got an idea that might work and may be a little cheaper and no modification on the light would be needed, but a little fabing may be required.
Thank you Wayne, yes, your correct, rectangle. I'll get the information you need, i DON'T know if I'll have time today, but i will soon as i can. Not confused at all, very informative post.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
f so, could you do me 2 favors? Measure the size of the rectangle and show me how they attach to the bike? Ive got an idea that might work and may be a little cheaper and no modification on the light would be needed, but a little fabing may be required.
Thank you Wayne, yes, your correct, rectangle. I'll get the information you need, i DON'T know if I'll have time today, but i will soon as i can. Not confused at all, very informative post.
My thoughts for a headlight for your bike was a set of Morimoto XB LED Fog Lights. They are really bright, provide a new cut off line and wouldnt require any fancy wiring or anything. I was thinking that the fog lights designed for the 2015+ F150 would work pretty good but after looking at these pictures i realized that the lens are at a angle from the mounting tabs on the side and probably wouldnt work. Well they would but it would take some cleaver ideas to mount them.

There currently on sale right now and its ends tomorrow.

https://www.lightwerkz.net/index.php/led-lighting/headlight-fog-light-led-lighting/led-fog-lights/morimoto-xb-led-fog-lights-ford-f150-2015.html

Wayne

·
Premium Member
12,381 Posts
Z7' , I got to give it to you on your lighting , you took it to the next level -------

I use LED light pods and light bars , about $50 for the 3 on the front of this red 300 , it lights it up

I have the two pods on the low beam switch and the bar on a toggle right now , in the future I want to work the bar off the high beam switch and have all three lights on while on high beam and use low beam for just the two pods

I got to say yours looks so much better , mine looks like the Intergalactic robot on the Beastie Boys video

Attachments

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Thanks Wayne, i agree with fish, hey fish i believe we have our forums lighting expert!

At that price......I'll have to weigh options, I've tryed LEDs bulbs before, AND they cause too much electro magnetic interference, to my (bike mounted) ham and fire rescue radios, altho they do look good! Defiantly interested!
@PatrickB has something close to those lights in your pic

page 140 of this string https://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/honda-fourtrax/64433-let-s-see-pics-your-honda-1986-1989-fourtrax-trx350s-foreman-350ds-aka-tanks-4.html

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Z7' , I got to give it to you on your lighting , you took it to the next level -------

I use LED light pods and light bars , about $50 for the 3 on the front of this red 300 , it lights it up

I have the two pods on the low beam switch and the bar on a toggle right now , in the future I want to work the bar off the high beam switch and have all three lights on while on high beam and use low beam for just the two pods

I got to say yours looks so much better , mine looks like the Intergalactic robot on the Beastie Boys video
Haha, thanks! LEDs Light Bars & Pods are great. For the price you can get the cheap ones for its a no brainer to have one or a few on any bike. I put two on mine just because. With alot of the things i do, i tend to go overboard, even if i will never take full advantage of it. Hell, i never once turned on the factory headlights to even see if they needed upgrading, for some reason i wanted them upgraded so i did. I had never built a set of lights before so it was alot of learning to do but i couldnt be happier. The feedback i have gotten from them is great! Makes all the work worth it!

Thanks Wayne, i agree with fish, hey fish i believe we have our forums lighting expert!

At that price......I'll have to weigh options, I've tryed LEDs bulbs before, AND they cause too much electro magnetic interference, to my (bike mounted) ham and fire rescue radios, altho they do look good! Defiantly interested!
I understand about the issues you have had in the past with LEDs. I would take a guess at they were prolly a cheap LED. I would be willing to bet that the ones i posted wouldnt cause a issue but not a $200 bet. If they would fit easily, i would say they would be worth a shot but for the price and the amount of thinking outside the box to get them mounted wouldnt be worth it to me.

I am far from a expect on lighting, or anything for that matter! I have just been a part of many truck forums over the last 16 years and have learned alot. Over the last couple years headlight upgrading has been HUGE. You should see the price some people pay for headlights! There has been plenty crazy ass custom headlights built by professionals and sold for THOUSANDS! Although i have recently sent my F150s headlights off to get modified they were no were near that kind of price. I just like like to get creative with mods. Its an addiction! I could create a entire thread by itself with the things i have done thats different from the normal just to be different than everything else out there.

Heres just one example :grin

If you wanted to read the built threads on the trucks check this out.
Bought My Son Another Raptor - FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor

Wayne

Attachments

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I am far from a expect on lighting
we'll....... I agree to disagree...lol looks to me like you know your stuff! I've been looking and looking for a good purchase on those lights, if you happe to spot a set of those (xb led fog lights) for a bit cheaper, hallor back @ me ....., I've made up my mind I'm doing the upgrade! I think there much better then my (50 watt halogen bulbs) setup now, PLUS they really look good! THX! For your help TOO

Edit: i wonder if a man could locate a good used set @ auto salvage yard ? ? ?

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
This past weekend i went up to my lease again to plant seed on the shooting lanes and food plots. Its a long story, but we didnt make it into the woods to start spreading the seed until 11PM. I sure was glad i had some bright ass lights. Made it much easier to do what we need to do with plenty light. After we were finished on the way back to the camp i ended up snapping this picture to show how bright the headlights are. This is headlights ONLY, the 2 9" light bars are OFF!

Wayne

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
i like it lit up ---- I parked mine at 10:30 Saturday night and didn't get to sleep till 3:30
You sound like us. We didnt make it back to the camper until 4:30am.

Wayne

·
Premium Member
12,381 Posts
Last Friday I went with a friend and his uncle to fill feeders and change camera cards and just some exploring for me , we did it in the day time about 3:00 and it was hotttt , I was soaked , you'll might have done better going at night , not as hot

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
Dang bugs around here will swarm you riding at night with lights unless it's early in the Spring or late in the fall.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I wired my bottom HID"s to a relay which I tied into the tail light bulb. That way anytime the headlight switch is on, regardless of whether you're on high or low beam, the bottom lights are on. Then wired a lightbar into the high beam wire for even more light with the switch in high beam mode.

Run the lows off your tail light wire, and then the high off the high beam wire.
Jeep, just wanted to give you a big thumbs up. I really liked your idea of hooking the low beam headlights to the tailights so that no matter what position the headlight switch was on the low beams would come on. So this past week i did a little rewiring.

Before, i the low and high beam wires tied together so that my headlights would come on in either positive, i also had 2 switches mounted to the bars, one was for the amber LED corner lights and the other was for my light bars.

Now i have my amber corner LEDs tapped into ignition on, so whenever i turn the key the corners come on. The headlights i tapped into the taillights so they now come on when ever i turn my headlights on, regardless of where the high/low switch is. I then tapped the LED light bars into the highbeams.

Couldnt be happier with the way things turned out. I was able to remove the two swtiched from the handle bars and everything is control via the stock switches now!

Thanks again for your idea/suggestion!

Wayne

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
I wired my bottom HID"s to a relay which I tied into the tail light bulb. That way anytime the headlight switch is on, regardless of whether you're on high or low beam, the bottom lights are on. Then wired a lightbar into the high beam wire for even more light with the switch in high beam mode.

Run the lows off your tail light wire, and then the high off the high beam wire.
Jeep, just wanted to give you a big thumbs up. I really liked your idea of hooking the low beam headlights to the tailights so that no matter what position the headlight switch was on the low beams would come on. So this past week i did a little rewiring.

Before, i the low and high beam wires tied together so that my headlights would come on in either positive, i also had 2 switches mounted to the bars, one was for the amber LED corner lights and the other was for my light bars.

Now i have my amber corner LEDs tapped into ignition on, so whenever i turn the key the corners come on. The headlights i tapped into the taillights so they now come on when ever i turn my headlights on, regardless of where the high/low switch is. I then tapped the LED light bars into the highbeams.

Couldnt be happier with the way things turned out. I was able to remove the two swtiched from the handle bars and everything is control via the stock switches now!

Thanks again for your idea/suggestion!

Wayne
I'd love to take credit for it but another member here actually suggested it a while back.

I initially had the lowers hooked to both high and low beams with a diode on the high beam wire so the lightbar would come on only when the switch was in high beam position.

It worked, but was overly complicated. The tail light method was much easier. Unfortunately I don't remember who came up with it.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts