Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I've been a street bike rider for over 30 years. I've owned nothing but hondas and Harley's. Hondas are way better!! I just bought my first atv. A friend sold me a 1983 Honda atc 200 3 wheeler. I've never ridden one before. And I don't know if it's me or a problem with the bike but it won't turn. I understand I have to turn the handlebars to get it to turn, not just lean. Lol. But it seems that every little bump throws the bike off track and even though I turn the bars it won't turn sometimes. I won't hit second gear because I can barely control it in first gear! Any ideas for a new guy??

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
First, welcome to the forum. I would check and make sure the tires are properly inflated and matched correctly (side to side) for the front and rear. If still problematic, look at the toe end of the front and then jack the front tires off the ground to determine if any of the tie rod ends are excessively worn, etc.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
It's a three wheeler......that's the way they handle. LOL Really, they are very unstable platforms. Lean to the outside to turn because it has a solid axle........the rear wheels will scrub the ground on sharp turns. Keep the air pressure around 3 to 3.5 psi so it won't kick you off so easily. Ride slow!!!!!!!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Welcome to the fourm, ride slow and dont roll over.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
ATC's are unstable machines, rather than hanging over the side try leaning forwards to put more weight over that front wheel when you turn. It will allow the inner rear wheel to scrub and allow the front a little more traction to steer. This advice ONLY applies if your plodding around of course!
If you get rave enough to give it a blast then obviously you need to lean in to the corner with the ATC, just like a motorbike. It WILL catch you out and bin you off the other side though I assure you, I have first hand experience!!
Stay safe, ride slow..

Welcome to the forum by the way :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't lean

Hey There,
The one thing you do not want to do on a three wheeler is lean. When you lean you have a tendency to put your foot down and that is how how you run over your leg. LOL. But the main reason is that it puts pressure on the side you lean on and it makes it harder to turn. Sometimes standing up on the foot pegs or just lifting off the seat a little bit helps with the turning.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
The tires are part of the suspension on them as well.. Make sure you have the right tire pressure..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
711 Posts
Spend some time on it and you'll get to where you love it. I started on an ATC and rode it for 7-8 years before I got into my quads. Mine was a 1983 ATC 110. So much fun. And yes, you do need to offset your weight to the outside of your turn at lower speeds, then as you progress you'll get to where you offset your balance to the inside on faster turns as you kick the back end out. :) But it takes lots of time in the saddle to get it down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts