Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, new to ATV at 60 years old. I was given a very nice Honda Fourtrax 300, not sure about the year. It has a storage box on the back and a winch on it. So far I have been using it around the house for yard work and pulling a little dump trailer. I really want to get a plow for it, maybe a box blade for the rear and a pull behind mower and use to maintain our 3.5 acres in the mountains of Colorado, then I can sell my 2015 Husqvarna GT48XLSi. So any help with where to get a plow blade and mount, box blade, guess I would need a lift system and pull behind mower. I will look through the forum in the next couple of day for more info about the Honda.

I missed the auto correct on my screen name, it should be NMBruce if that could get correct, if not well that’s ok too

· Registered
8,309 Posts
welcome to the site and congrats on the new to you honda
now as for a few of your things, a snow plow will work, but don't think anyone actually makes a EXACT fit plow blade mount for it, due to its age, your going to most likely need to buy a universal kit and mount it some how using the assorted drilled holes in the mount or having to drill some to work
I am a HUGE fan of the Moose mid mount plows, and for a 300 I think you will want a a 42 or a 50 inch blade, you need to really measure the width of the ATV< and get a blade that at FULL angle will still plow a path that the tires will NOT be in the snow
here is a link to the moose blades
Products ? Moose Utility Division

NOW< as for a Back blade, , I hate to bust your bubble, but you are NOT going to use this atv to use one, it just will do NOTHING but make atv spin its wheels
a ATV simply does NOT weight enough and have enough power if it DID to DRAG a back blade, your a million times better off BUYING a OLDER heavier tractor for this type of work, something with a rear PTO would be what you want, older and I mean OLDER 1950's-1970's tractors can be had pretty cheap if your any where near farm lands and or willing to GO get one, and I';m talking $1500 bucks like cheap they will weight 3-4-5,000 lbs and will WORK,
OUT WORK a atv by a HUGE margin and be simple things to up keep, them older tractors were designed for un educated farmers to work on them! and I am NOT insulting farmers here, its just how they were designed, so average folks can up keep them
NOT like newer things which almost ALWAYS need to have a high skilled tech service them
a SECOND reason to get a smaller older tractor is, you can get a brush hog to pull behind it, and your ONLY running one motor, where if you drag a mower behind an ATV< your running two motors twice the fuel and wear and tear
PLUS a used brush hog will be CHEAPER to buy and WAY more heavy duty than what they sel and make for a ATV, due to again WEIGHT of what a ATV can handle
you need to remember this small honda 300 is NOT a very heavy atv, it might be geared low and have good power, but it will be easy to have NOT enough traction to pull heavy things and or push Deep WET heavy snow

SO< my advice is, get a snow plow of correct size to this atv, you can get into places on an atv you cannot on a tractor, so its a win for plowing, as long as you do NOT wait for snow to get too deep before plowing, as again deep snow in front of a atv plow blade and a VERY small atv here, you can have snow too deep to push on it

and then rather than buy a tow behind mower for it and a useless back blade for it, BUY a older used tractor and get implements for it, they will be far less costly than ATV sized implements and well, it will get way more work done in half the time and save you lots of $$$ and time in the long run!
sorry if NOT what you hoped to hear, but honest as can be advice here for you!

· Registered
1,418 Posts
The Honda 300 is a well-known proven ATV, so great score. Being new, please know when serving this ATV it needs an oil approved for wet clutches (JASO) and you can obviously get that from Honda or other options from box stores.

· Premium Member
4,700 Posts
Welcome to the forums, congrats on the 300 find!

I missed the auto correct on my screen name, it should be NMBruce if that could get correct, if not well that’s ok too
You can drop VS_goose , or an Admin a PM . They can assist you on the name/handle correction :)

· Premium Member
5,683 Posts
Welcome. I have a 93; scrounged manual lift midmount plow parts and mount off eBay and at a local auction. 48 inches. Was actually for my trx350.
Kind of a lark wanted to see how it handled. It was ok on my fairly level driveway.
The trx300 is lightweight, has a low CG, nimble, good power, cheap and reliable. But it’s not great at doing tractor stuff; those box blades are just heavy. Look at the GW and hitch specs. I’d think you’d burn up the clutch before you got much done.

· Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I use my 300 around the farm, mainly towing a small trailer and a set of chain harrows, the harrows are 8’x10’. If the ground is rough you can really feel the strain on the ATV and mine is built to pull and take abuse, I usually park up and use a 4x4 truck if it’s to much for the little 300.
I think even built 300’s such as mine would be very limited use using a back blade, maybe you could use a set of discs instead? They be a little easier going in the ATV.

Tag-a-long mowers are great, used one of those also behind a 300, had no issues whatsoever using those, was a great ATV to use actually being light and manoeuvrable.

· Registered
13 Posts
I have a 1990 300 4 trac that has brought me to your forum and a 250 Recon. Hav had the 18 or so years. Your members were very helpful in finding my regulator my hopes are that it fixes the machine. My son and I have had a million dollars of fun on these old wheelers and my plan are to replace them with a couple of 500 Honda’s. After I fix the 300. Thanks for the fast help!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.