Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just created an account on here because I am purchasing my first ATV this weekend, as long as it checks out. I'm looking at a 05 Foreman 500 at a really good price. I have wanted an ATV since I was a kid, and am not finally pulling the trigger. This will be used on a small farm (10-12 acres) for pulling stuff, riding for fun, and maybe some hunting an other properties.

Looking forward to learning a ton.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
welcome to the forums. '05 trx500fm ?, or electric shift model ?. I hope it's a manual shift model ?!..lol. I am rebuilding a '05 trx500fm as of right now, if you want to learn anything about them ?, check out my build in the DIY/BUILD section. the very one thing you need to worry about on this motor ?..IS THE OIL DRAIN AREA HAS A FLAW IN THE DESIGN !!, Honda chicken chitted the design of the inside of the drain bolt !, it's a crappy design for sure. if you, or anyone tightens the drain bolt anywhere near over tight ?, it snaps off inside the motor !!!, you've been warned !!..lol. other than this ?, I've been rebuilding mine from the ground up, front to back, motor was split, cleaned, new hod rod crank, oil seals, the works !..lol. check it out if and when you get time :).

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
welcome to the site and best of luck on the new to you ATV
there a super handy to have on a piece of property,
you will sure find a LOT of uses that will; now make a lot of work almost fun, once you have one

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
welcome to the forums. '05 trx500fm ?, or electric shift model ?. I hope it's a manual shift model ?!..lol. I am rebuilding a '05 trx500fm as of right now, if you want to learn anything about them ?, check out my build in the DIY/BUILD section. the very one thing you need to worry about on this motor ?..IS THE OIL DRAIN AREA HAS A FLAW IN THE DESIGN !!, Honda chicken chitted the design of the inside of the drain bolt !, it's a crappy design for sure. if you, or anyone tightens the drain bolt anywhere near over tight ?, it snaps off inside the motor !!!, you've been warned !!..lol. other than this ?, I've been rebuilding mine from the ground up, front to back, motor was split, cleaned, new hod rod crank, oil seals, the works !..lol. check it out if and when you get time :).
I'll be sure to check out your build. It is an electric shift. Hopefully it works good. Luckily, I haven't fully committed to the buy. I have read the threads on here about inspection before you buy and I am definitely going to give it a thorough look before I commit, but I will have cash and a trailer just in case, haha.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
I'll be sure to check out your build. It is an electric shift. Hopefully it works good. Luckily, I haven't fully committed to the buy. I have read the threads on here about inspection before you buy and I am definitely going to give it a thorough look before I commit, but I will have cash and a trailer just in case, haha.
I just don't favor electric shifts ?, too many issues with them, they don't last like the manual shifts do !. if it shifts good ?, through all gears ?, battery charging ?, you may clear that problem ?, but the oil drain issue ?, no way of knowing this..until you can't tighten the drain bolt ?, and it leaks ?, then you have to split the cases to see what I am speaking about.

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
I would take a GOOD look at that drain plug based on what shade said here,m if it looks like its been messed with, walk away
and I agree, E shifts are problematic , do a search here or other forums and see ALL the tread's and post about issue's

when they WORK they work good, but they are just known to go bad and be a pain

its simple enough to use a foot shift, a few rides and its brainless doings?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts