Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered two used pistons and a spare used jug from online and I'm choosing the best of what i have. Either set has great compression, my concern is what the ring gap should be?? One piston is .020 and one is .016. The latter is a bit tighter, too tight?

Secondly, one piston has a vertical line i can feel with my nail, but its not sharp. That fine to use?

Thirdly i have the engine down to the case and the sides off. Which side is best to remove to get in and clean the broken piston chunks out? I don't have the correct size puller (my pitch is wrong on my threads) and it looks like an air hose fitting has the correct threads and size, but can anyone cofirm what bolt size to use to pull the magneto? If it matters i need to get some piston out of the shift forks as well.

The new oil chain is here (which stretched and fell off then killed everything) so I'm ready to get it back together.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Its been running fine with the replacement piston, but i knew i didnt get it all out. I've been having shifting issues and can see piston in the shift fork.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got a better deal for ya than that. This one is free.

So when i get home and can look it up in my manual that i didnt steal off the internet and bought. i guess I'll have to since nobody that's came along knows the answer.

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
I don't know the answer, cause I didn't read the manual. I don't have it. You already know that you must split the cases to clean out broken piston chunks... that procedure is in the manual too. I don't understand why you are asking for help...? I'll leave you be though... keep a smile and enjoy your work! :)

·
Premium Member
12,647 Posts
it would help to know which model and year that you are working on , looks like a sideways engine from the pick ------- I think the way you are going about it is all wrong

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Ring gap depends on what ring your talking about. Assuming top ring they are both worn, service limit is 20 thou, as it states in the service manual.

I would go with the better of the two pistons, the the best one you have is the one with the score down the piston skirt then I guess that's good enough. Garbage in, garbage out, if you want it done "right" buy a new piston and ring set and have the cylinder bored.

It would be best to just follow the service manual on splitting the cases. That's how I do it, Honda has a tendency to throw in "surprises" for you if you don't pull things apart in the right order...

Google says the flywheel puller is M14x1.5

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it would help to know which model and year that you are working on , looks like a sideways engine from the pick ------- I think the way you are going about it is all wrong
Hence why its in my sig.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ring gap depends on what ring your talking about. Assuming top ring they are both worn, service limit is 20 thou, as it states in the service manual.

I would go with the better of the two pistons, the the best one you have is the one with the score down the piston skirt then I guess that's good enough. Garbage in, garbage out, if you want it done "right" buy a new piston and ring set and have the cylinder bored.

It would be best to just follow the service manual on splitting the cases. That's how I do it, Honda has a tendency to throw in "surprises" for you if you don't pull things apart in the right order...

Google says the flywheel puller is M14x1.5
Both pistons measure identical so there is no best one aside of the mark on the skirt. To clarify the question is if that mark would make contact. Its very light and vertical so i question if it would. It was made by a scratch in the old jug so it goes in, not out. It shouldn't have any way to damage the jug, and compression is in the rings.

Rings are both what came with the pistons. New set won't be here for a week. Just picking the best for now. I can put them on the better piston when they come and drop it in, hence the aforementioned questions. Takes less than 15 mins to do so I'll ride for a week on the 0.016 set.

M14x1.5, got it. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts

Some of us use tapa talk, and we can't see sigs, or we have them turned off. General rule is to always post year and other info in the post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats why I don't use tapa. Website desktop version is very good on my iphone 7plus :) that's basically penalizing everyone who set their info up correctly because of a select group of users that choose a substandard app. :)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well how about you quit taking everything so personally. I'm a web designer and I'm allowed to make a comment about a crappy app without being penalized for it. I didn't know you were in bed with tapa talk. When you get home tell them it wouldn't hurt for them to enable text in signatures ;-) there's a ;-) to make you feel better

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
We are regular forum members so we are allowed to make a comment when some one doesn't follow the norm and doesn't post the info we need to be able to help you.

Don't complain when we have to ask what machine you're working on when you don't bother to put it in the post.

Sent from my iPhone using TAPATALK

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Well how about you quit taking everything so personally. I'm a web designer and I'm allowed to make a comment about a crappy app without being penalized for it. I didn't know you were in bed with tapa talk. When you get home tell them it wouldn't hurt for them to enable text in signatures ;-) there's a ;-) to make you feel better
I don't use tapatalk, and you missed the point entirely. Every time someone here has offered to help you, you have had a smartass response.

The guys who are trying to help you are the most knowledgeable on here.

Smartass responses to their replies aren't going to get you anywhere. When three guys respond, and you block one of them, and on the two who ask for make and model, you go into a self righteous rant about the inferior way they view the forum....

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Chain stretch report. So easy a caveman can do it. New chain, finishing up. :rating10:

·
Premium Member
12,647 Posts
Quote " I ordered two used pistons and a spare used jug from online and I'm choosing the best of what i have. Either set has great compression, my concern is what the ring gap should be?? " Quote

Read what you wrote , can I ask how do you know = Quote " either set has great compression " , you got one used jug and two used pistons

....seems to " me " such a waste of time and money ------ you took the time to split the case and install a new timing chain , then going to mismatch piston, rings and jug

.....web designer, you say , now I get it !

1 - 20 of 22 Posts