Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some help selecting plow equipment for my Rancher:

I would like to go with the Warn ProVantage front mount plow system. (54" straight plow, 92100 push tube, 80031 front mount)

I would also like to go with a Superwinch Terra.
I called Warn and the representative said their winch mount was not compatible with the Superwinch and he(of course) recommended a Warn winch.

I would actually prefer the KFI winch mount, but can anyone tell me if that would be compatible with the Warn plow's front mount?

Does anyone out there have a similar setup? I would really like to get some equipment ordered soon.

I came very close to ordering a KFI setup today (plow, push tube, center mount, winch mount) but: 1) the KFI rep told me the Superwinch was not compatible with their mount - which I know is not true since some forum members have installed that combination - and 2) I would much prefer a front mount plow so I can use a bucket attachment in the warmer months.

· Registered
1,418 Posts
I can't help, but agree, the differences in winches should be marginal at best in terms of picking up a blade, but seen cases where some individuals needed to used a snatch block on the blade, because the angle of lift was pulling the blade back into the unit vs. actually picking it up. Again, I think a winch can be adapted to work with perhaps any blade, but that is a guess on my part. I personally have a mid mount KFI and KFI winch, great set up, but confident any well mounted winch would have worked.

· Registered
8,309 Posts
OK I think MOST winches of like sizes have DARN near exact bolt hole patterns, so worse case deal, you have to open holes up a little on the mount, ( IMO)
next as for blade size, I personally think a 60 is a better set up
you can be at full angle on blade and have room on the sides of your tires to NOT be driving in snow, a BIG help on things IMO
it also gives you more room to push snow off to the side of your area's you wish to keep open!

as for a winch and too steep a pull/angle to lift a blade
I have NOT ever seen that
MOST guys go to pully's systems, in an effort to try to reduce wear and tear on there lines, BUT 99% of wear and tear happens from OVER IN-ing on your line and you then break it from stress on a weak spot on the line

YES steeper angles can add wear to the line, but the winch will lift it problem free ON EVERY atv plow set up I seen that was designed by the OEM, and NOT a home made deal

NOW< as for you wanting a front mount system, so you can use a BUCKET in the summer
I think your wasting your thoughts on something that will NOT be a vbery functional item to waste your money on
ATV"S do NOT have the front ends made to HOLD a bucket, never mind putting things in it and then trying to lift and haul about
your shocks will bottom out and add a TON of stress and wear and tear to your atv's front end
MOST guys on Ranchers and such, need HD springs JUST to hold up the snow plow alone

SO< I wouldn't waste your time or money on thinking about adding a bucket for summer use, just NOT worth it and why so few companys make them for atv's

been plowing snow with my atv since 1999, and plow a LOT
have used said plow blade to move dirt and gravel in summer
BUt I wouldn't be doing that with a front mount set up
mid mount push tubes, and HD one's at that ONLY

there is a reason ALL plow makers state the MID mount is there strongest system they sell and make?

weight is displaces between all 4 wheels better and NOT all things riding on the front end of the atv
HD work with a plow blade, get a mid mount set up
want easy on/off, higher stacking, get a front mount!

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mrbb, thank you for your input. You have said a lot, let me respond to a few things:

-As far as winch mounting I just don't want to end up with equipment that won't mount up because another brand's parts are blocking where it needs to be mounted. Not so much worried about the mounting holes which I believe are fairly standard.

-A 54" plow at full angle will clear ~49" which is larger than the track width of my Rancher, plus it will fit in my trailer(just barely)

-Bucket use: point taken... maybe not the best idea to put a ton more weight on the front.

-As far as needing springs to hold up a plow when you use a front mount. I just don't understand why a front mount would add any more weight than a mid-mount. (Other than the weight of the mount itself) - When the winch lifts the plow up, is it not holding most of the weight of the system from where the line exits the fairlead? front or mid mount shouldn't make a whole lot of difference here, as the mount should only act as a pivot and not bearing much weight.

I think the biggest difference would be shock absorption. A front mount will stress out the front of the frame whereas the mid-mount will stress a larger area of the middle of the frame. Obviously a mid-mount has an advantage there.

Using a bucket is not my only reason for preferring a front mount.
-Easier install
-Slightly easier to attach and remove plow
-much higher lifting height (One guy mentioned that he can lift his plow up and lean over the handlebars to change the plow angle without getting off the machine - that would be nice!)

· Registered
12 Posts
And by "house" I meant housing. Btw I went 54 ". The only thing I would use the bucket is for the 10-15 yards of mulch I need to spread. You really can't beat the Warn pro advantage set. Shipped after the rebate was 370

· Registered
8,309 Posts
a mid mount splits the weight as, a portion of it rides on the pins in the middle of the ATV, being split on all 4 tires
on a front mount ALL weight is 100% on the front end
think nose heavy!

so, that is the difference on weight being carried
as for weight of snow when pushing that too is carried throughout the whole atv, as its being placed in the middle of the atv
and NOT being directed to the front end only!

Ranchers and even foreman's of the last 10+ yrs , have all gone to softer riding shocks, and as such, MOST when a plow is added, need better springs to HOLD up the weight of the blade when riding in the UP position
a 50-60 inch plow is about 90+ lbs all the way forward on the nose(when a mid mount is used, that weight in the UP position again is split between the front end and the mid mount pins!, think like a fulcrum point some what here!
helps displace the load!
the farther forward the plow blade is,(and heavier it is)
the more stress and leverage it has on your front end

as for plow width being cleared
I am NOT sure where you got that info, as this is off Moose's web site
MY 60 inch, is on a older smaller narrower atv than new one's today and at full angle, it has about 2 inches of cleared snow on both sides of my tires
IF I went to a 54, I would be driving in snow ?
Maybe Moose brands angle more?? I don't know, don;'t have a warn, but I can take pic's if you like to see

and again WHY I suggested a 60, from yrs of experience!
you loose about 6-7 inches of clearing at full angle
so, a 54, if you loose 6 inches, that put's you under 48 inches which most atv's are that OR wider, all the more so if you go after market tires and wheels, which AL tend to stick out farther than OEM"S due to NO one makes an after market wheel to Honda OEM Off set spec's

but off the MOOSE WEB SITE

Strongest, toughest ATV plow on the market
Our standard 50”blade clears a 44 1/2” path when angled and our 60” blade clears 53 1/2” path when angled.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alfred, thank you for the information!

I have some other questions for you:

Is rotating the housing as simple as unbolting, spinning and re-bolting or is it a bit more involved?

Did you have to cut any metal parts of the Rancher to install this equipment? I know that I will probably have to trim some plastics.

Did you have to get heavy duty front springs due to the weight of this setup?

Did you get your kit directly from Warn? Their rebate ended in December, bummer.

· Registered
12 Posts
Housing: 2 screws on end. Twist and tighten. Superwinch support is great! You do not pull the cover off otherwise you will screwed as you will pop the brushes off the motor.

Modifications: only the plastic center bumper cover on the backside. I later purchased Warn Aluminum arm guards which I had to cut to but it was easy. Otherwise no other cutting or drilling.

No front springs needed. It's Is a nice amount of weight but that's what you need in the front when plowing. I would be glad to post pics with the plow up and you wouldn't notice any sag.

I purchased from Autoplicity. Had the best price at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Our standard 50”blade clears a 44 1/2” path when angled and our 60” blade clears 53 1/2” path when angled.
Based on those numbers, they are using a blade angle of ~27°

Using a 54" plow at that angle would give you me a cleared path of just about 48"

Irregardless, a 60 would not fit on the trailer so I'm not really interested in going that big. If the path is that much of an issue I just won't keep it fully angled.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Housing: 2 screws on end. Twist and tighten. Superwinch support is great! You do not pull the cover off otherwise you will screwed as you will pop the brushes off the motor.

Modifications: only the plastic center bumper cover on the backside. I later purchased Warn Aluminum arm guards which I had to cut to but it was easy. Otherwise no other cutting or drilling.

No front springs needed. It's Is a nice amount of weight but that's what you need in the front when plowing. I would be glad to post pics with the plow up and you wouldn't notice any sag.

I purchased from Autoplicity. Had the best price at the time.

Don't want to pop the brushes off, thanks for that tip!

Did you need the aluminum arm guards for the plow setup or something unrelated?

I would love a side shot showing the winch fairlead and cable attaching to the plow. Trying to decide between steel or synthetic line.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just ordered:

Warn 78954 54" Straight steel plow
Warn 92100 push tube
Warn 80031 front mount
KFI 100705 winch mount
Superwinch Terra 35

All for just $610 on Amazon. :)

I couldn't wait for a photo of your winch cable, there was a warehouse deal on the Terra 35 I couldn't pass up. I really want I can switch the steel for synthetic or just buy a short section of it.

· Registered
8,309 Posts
I just ordered:

Warn 92100 push tube
Warn 80031 front mount
KFI 100705 winch mount
Superwinch Terra 35

I couldn't wait for a photo of your winch cable, there was a warehouse deal on the Terra 35 I couldn't pass up. I really want I can switch the steel for synthetic or just buy a short section of it.
once you use the winch with steel wire a few times, it will most likely leave small burr's in the rollers
SO< if you want to switch to syn, you will need to replace them rollers, or it can damage the syn line
its easier to go from syn to steel
but few would ever do this LOL

so a heads up, if you are thinking about adding syn to a wire rope winch
, you will need new roller fairlead to do so CORRECTLY

· Registered
12 Posts
I just ordered:

Warn 92100 push tube
Warn 80031 front mount
KFI 100705 winch mount
Superwinch Terra 35

I switched to synthetic rope right away. I think the cable on the winch is to long so if you are not careful coiling it back in after your first winch save you can easily bunch it up and snap the bolts. I ordered 35 ft synthetic rope.

· Registered
8,309 Posts
I just ordered:

Warn 92100 push tube
Warn 80031 front mount
KFI 100705 winch mount
Superwinch Terra 35

I switched to synthetic rope right away. I think the cable on the winch is to long so if you are not careful coiling it back in after your first winch save you can easily bunch it up and snap the bolts. I ordered 35 ft synthetic rope.

I doubt the wire rope was too long
what happens when you unspool wire rope, you have to put it back on under some load, and spool it on correctly
its under tension as it sits on a spool more or less or can be
and as you take line out, it expands like on the spool(think back cast on a bait caster reel, IF you fish)

but most OEM spools will actually hold MORE Than the 50 ft of line they come with,
I have put almost 70 ft onto mine a few times, (did so, due to I know I break it often plowing over time so didn;t care)

but if you don't spool the wire rope back on as you should, you can damage the wire rope, the spool and the winch itself!

you can also, spool syn line on bad too??

a right and a wrong way for all things

· Registered
12 Posts
I just ordered:

Warn 92100 push tube

Warn 80031 front mount

KFI 100705 winch mount

Superwinch Terra 35

I doubt the wire rope was too long

what happens when you unspool wire rope, you have to put it back on under some load, and spool it on correctly

its under tension as it sits on a spool more or less or can be

and as you take line out, it expands like on the spool(think back cast on a bait caster reel, IF you fish)

but most OEM spools will actually hold MORE Than the 50 ft of line they come with,

I have put almost 70 ft onto mine a few times, (did so, due to I know I break it often plowing over time so didn;t care)

but if you don't spool the wire rope back on as you should, you can damage the wire rope, the spool and the winch itself!

you can also, spool syn line on bad too??

a right and a wrong way for all things

Sure thing!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.