Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum and new to the honda world. I recently purchased a 05 rancher at and the trans is slipping when warmed up. you can hear it slip also. can the centrifugal clutch make any noise when slipping? any help would be great.

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
I am new to the forum and new to the honda world. I recently purchased a 05 rancher at and the trans is slipping when warmed up. you can hear it slip also. can the centrifugal clutch make any noise when slipping? any help would be great.
i have never heard the centrifugal cluch make a nosie..they just wear and cause the bike to not move..more than likely your got a problem with your clutch disk pack..check and replace if needed.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I don't think he realized it was an auto. I don't know too much about the autos, but I don't think it has the clutch pack.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just got done riding it again, it slips real bad when engine is warmed up, it's fine when cold, it also has like a broken spring sound (real tingy) I wonder if one of the springs broke on the centrifugal clutch.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
OK, I don't know too much about the Honda auto trannys, but here is a link to a good read that will explain the operating principles. The Rancher 400AT uses the same tranny as the 500 Rubicon. After you read this, you should understand why I don't really care for the Honda auto trannys. There are better, simpler means for CVT trannys, in my opinion anyway.

2001 Honda Rubicon Hondamatic hydraulic transmission

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I read that and it is very informative. it sounds a little complicated but oh well. I think I noticed that when the trans is slipping I don't have any "engine braking" I wonder now if it is the angle sensor malfunctioning

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Welcome to the forums. It still sounds like it might be in the trans. But like Helmut I don't know much about them either.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I read that and it is very informative. it sounds a little complicated but oh well. I think I noticed that when the trans is slipping I don't have any "engine braking" I wonder now if it is the angle sensor malfunctioning
I don't have any ideal. I wish I could help you, but I don't know anything at all about the Honda CVT trannys. I've never owned one or worked on one, so I can't help, but maybe someone else will know something about them and chime in.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
everything so far has been very helpful and I thank everybody for that. I am going to take the angle sensor off and measure resistance, but my dvom is at work so I will take it to work with me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Change the Oil now, use Honda GN4, if that Trans is the same style as a Rincon they will slip if you use the wrong or have dirty Oil. The Engine Oil may also be the Trans Oil.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Change the Oil now, use Honda GN4, if that Trans is the same style as a Rincon they will slip if you use the wrong or have dirty Oil. The Engine Oil may also be the Trans Oil.
They have a completely different tranny than the Rincon. The Rincon tranny is pretty much about like an automobile transmission. The Rancher 400 auto tranny is a CVT tranny that uses pistons and pumps.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have already changed the oil and used the honda oil. it made no difference. I bought this machine used a month ago for cheap. it's hard to believe that the trans is slipping with only 80 hours on it..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well I tore it down last night and it looks like the centrifugal clutch is fried. oh well, thats why I got it for so cheap. I will get my puller from work and hopefully pull it off tonight to see what exactly happened. thanks everybody for the help

·
Registered
15 Posts
Can't help you. I have an 05 Rancher AT with Trans issues too.
If you haven't already; check out info I've received at Ol'Man & it seems like Mudmannolan is in a similar boat! Maybe some of our feedback can help???

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
well I tore it down last night and it looks like the centrifugal clutch is fried. oh well, thats why I got it for so cheap. I will get my puller from work and hopefully pull it off tonight to see what exactly happened. thanks everybody for the help
Remember, the nut that holds the centrifugal clutch on has left hand threads, so it will turn clockwise to remove.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well, finally got the centrifugal clutch replaced, went through the relearn process and it still slips when hot. I had removed the angle sensor and checked resistance and it was out a little bit from spec. it doesn't slip nearly as bad now but still slips. hope it is not in the hondamatic piece of crap. any insight would be helpful. I had 50ohms of resistance with the sensor closed off of the machine and 1.8k ohms of reisistance wide open, spec is 0 to 1.6 closed to 2.4 k ohms, but I don't know if the 0 to 1.6 is 0 to 1.6k? if it is supposed to be 0- 1.6 then I guess I have a bad sensor.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well it slipped a little less when I changed the oil again so I am going to add some seafoam to the oil and change it again and hopefully it will be better. that will make it 3 oil changes. the oil change light was on when I bought it and the oil was a bit dark. does anyone know how long I should run the seafoam in it before changing the oil? thanks!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts