Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1986 Honda FourTrax 250 It is in really good condition the only problem is minor cracks on the plastics. Never really had an issue until now.

Here is what happened I was riding and everything was normal and then I came to a stop and turned off the four wheeler for maybe 5 minuets. Once I was ready to get back to riding I realized that when I turn the key on, the neutral light didn't come on ( I was in neutral ) So the electric start wouldn't work so I kicked it. It started up fine no issues but once I started moving Clank Clank Clank! I stopped it immediately. I think it is the drive shaft because that is where it appears to have the sound and issues. I didn't want to drive it home so we hauled it by chain. It makes the noise in neutral and up, but I don't think it does in reverse.

I hope I can get some help on this it would be much appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
sounds like rear differential needs to be looked at. they wont start at all unless the c.d.i. '' see's '' it in neutral ( dash light ), how you were able to start it without a dash light beats me ?, unless the bulb burnt out ?. it also wont ele start unless the c.d.i. '' see's '' it in neutral.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds like rear differential needs to be looked at. they wont start at all unless the c.d.i. '' see's '' it in neutral ( dash light ), how you were able to start it without a dash light beats me ?, unless the bulb burnt out ?. it also wont ele start unless the c.d.i. '' see's '' it in neutral.
Thank you for responding! So the bulb isnt burnt out because it was working the 5 minute before I turned it off, but I think kicking it bypasses it and starts maybe, but I dont know. Im gonna crack into the rear and start looking more into it in a couple of days.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
Thank you for responding! So the bulb isnt burnt out because it was working the 5 minute before I turned it off, but I think kicking it bypasses it and starts maybe, but I dont know. Im gonna crack into the rear and start looking more into it in a couple of days.
yw, make sure its in neutral ?!. to test the bulb the easy way, remove metal plate, right foot rest, behind it, metal plate, under it, two switches, rear two are neutral and reverse, forward switch is oil temp sensor. carefully pull the two rear rubber boots off the switches, the very rear switch is your neutral, turn key on, ground that bullet connector to the engine near by, neutral light should light up ?, if it does ?, and you know its in neutral ?, then the switch is bad, it will not electric start unless the neutral light is lit up on the dash, safety feature to keep you from electric starting it in case its in gear ?.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
have a tube of yamabond, or hondabond on hand to put the diff back together ( case cover ), DO NOT USE RTV SEALANT !!!. gear oil is 80w-90 synthetic is what i use in all my diff's.

Reactions: fallguy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks I'll check that! I'm pretty sure the bulb is fine but anything helps! Tomorrow I'll just have to take the dirrbike mudding lol. When I fix the fourwheeler I'm goin to have to move it so would it ess up more if I hauled it by chain again?

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
Ok thanks I'll check that! I'm pretty sure the bulb is fine but anything helps! Tomorrow I'll just have to take the dirrbike mudding lol. When I fix the fourwheeler I'm goin to have to move it so would it ess up more if I hauled it by chain again?
i highly doubt your gonna do any more damage to it than what is already done ?, as long as your not pulling it for many miles ?, you should be ok. either way, your gonna have to tear the rear end down, may as well start by dropping the rear swing arm, check/inspect the swing arm bearings, u-joint right there, then work your way to the diff, chances are, your pinion gear, pinion gear bearing, ring gear bearings, all the oil seals need to be checked/replaced ?.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i highly doubt your gonna do any more damage to it than what is already done ?, as long as your not pulling it for many miles ?, you should be ok. either way, your gonna have to tear the rear end down, may as well start by dropping the rear swing arm, check/inspect the swing arm bearings, u-joint right there, then work your way to the diff, chances are, your pinion gear, pinion gear bearing, ring gear bearings, all the oil seals need to be checked/replaced ?.
Ok thanks for all the help! When I get into it and have any questins/problems I'll contact here 👌 thanks alot

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
Ok thanks for all the help! When I get into it and have any questins/problems I'll contact here 👌 thanks alot
np, yw :). if i am not here ?, you can find me here --> www.atvhonda.com ,if you join ?, plz make sure to post in new member section, then post in the utility section, me, or one of us great members will chime in soon !.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok will do! Oh and one more thing do you know any sites that would sell parts for an older honda 86?

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
Ok will do! Oh and one more thing do you know any sites that would sell parts for an older honda 86?
ebay sells used parts, power sports nation sells used parts, and if your close to arkansas ?, i know a place where you can find parts for your atv. he does not ship parts any more !..lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts