Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tether finally came in the mail today and now I want to get it hooked up. I keep reading that they are supposed to be very simple to install but I could not find the exact step by step directions on how to do it. The tether has 2 wires. Same length. Black and white. Now what?:partsin01:

· Premium Member
23,587 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Ok, correct me if I am wrong. A tether is a strap that connects to you and kills the engine if you fall off right?

If thats it, all you have to do is find a wire coming from your kill switch, cut it and connect the black wire to one end and the white wire to the other end. All it does is breaks the ground and kills the engine.

· Premium Member
23,587 Posts
Ok, correct me if I am wrong. A tether is a strap that connects to you and kills the engine if you fall off right?

If thats it, all you have to do is find a wire coming from your kill switch, cut it and connect the black wire to one end and the white wire to the other end. All it does is breaks the ground and kills the engine.
I believe they work by grounding the coil/ignition system.

· Registered
3 Posts
helmut, you might be right. I just searched on the web and some are very specific on what model bike and what brand tether, My suggestion is to look up the website for the part and see if they have any support literatue for the one you bought.

· Premium Member
5,832 Posts

· Premium Member
23,587 Posts
helmut, you might be right. I just searched on the web and some are very specific on what model bike and what brand tether, My suggestion is to look up the website for the part and see if they have any support literatue for the one you bought.
Yeah, it could depend on the brand. I would go by the instructions from the company that makes that particular brand.

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those instructions are perfect! Thanks helmut! But which wire do I hook up to the other? I have a black and white wire coming from the switch?

· Premium Member
23,587 Posts
Those instructions are perfect! Thanks helmut! But which wire do I hook up to the other? I have a black and white wire coming from the switch?
If the switch works the way I think it does, it shouldn't matter, because when the cord pulls loose, it just closes the switch.

· Premium Member
18,211 Posts
that is correct it's just a contact inside, but you can wire it inline with the red slide switch and be done with it, much easier than pulling all the plastics.

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that is correct it's just a contact inside, but you can wire it inline with the red slide switch and be done with it, much easier than pulling all the plastics.
Hang on, what would I have to do for this? Sounds easier.

· Premium Member
23,587 Posts
Hang on, what would I have to do for this? Sounds easier.
Just find the black/white wire and the green wire going into the handlebar/light/kill switch and hook one wire of your tether to the green wire and the other wire to the black/white wire.

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmmm. This sounds WAY better than having to go under the quad and fiddling with a thousand wires. So I have to strip the original wires and then wrap the new wires around it correct?

· Premium Member
23,587 Posts
Hmmmm. This sounds WAY better than having to go under the quad and fiddling with a thousand wires. So I have to strip the original wires and then wrap the new wires around it correct?
Yes, and I would solder them so they make a good connection and don't come loose. It would probably be a good idea to use heat shrink tubing over them.

· Premium Member
6,604 Posts
Becareful jimmy rigging your tether switch, BITD won't allow you to run if it is not hooked up correctly.

· Premium Member
23,587 Posts
Both ways will kill the engine. Both ways will do the same thing, just different routes getting there. Hooking straight to the hot wire of the coil and a ground is the most direct way. Hooking it into the black/white and green wire running into the handlebar/kill switch just uses the ATV's wiring to do the same thing. The black/white wire is the ignition wire and the green wire is the ground wire. When you slide that kill switch to the "off" position, it just connects those two wires and grounds the ignition system. I would wire it like the instructions said, if it had any with it.

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do race requirements require you to connect it directly to the ignition system or do they just want the engine to stop?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.