Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Appreciate any thoughts? Have 2013 Rancher AT, bought used..has 450 miles and 65hrs..did my first oil change yesterday...bought Honda oil and filter..made sure filter went in the right way.. refilled oil ,got almost a couple quarts in ..oil was right to fill hole?.. took the rest of the day to get the rest of the oil in and flow down to get a proper reading on dipstick.. Once I got a reading on the dipstick.. started engine for a minute, shut off.. took fill cap off oil was right to the top and nothing on dipstick. .took like an hour for it to flow back down? Blockage??

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Appreciate any thoughts? Have 2013 Rancher AT, bought used..has 450 miles and 65hrs..did my first oil change yesterday...bought Honda oil and filter..made sure filter went in the right way.. refilled oil ,got almost a couple quarts in ..oil was right to fill hole?.. took the rest of the day to get the rest of the oil in and flow down to get a proper reading on dipstick.. Once I got a reading on the dipstick.. started engine for a minute, shut off.. took fill cap off oil was right to the top and nothing on dipstick. .took like an hour for it to flow back down? Blockage??
Hum.... this is a first for myself. What were the conditions when you changed the oil, i.e., engine warmed up and temperature where the machine was located? Any chance you can see down into the oil fill hole? Even though you changed the oil, I would consider repeating the entire process again, despite the money including the oil filter.

·
Premium Member
5,449 Posts
Do these have a separate oil and tranny case? Didja drain the wrong one?
I have seen this before on a Harley that sat for several years in storage. The oil turned to goo and would not drain completely. Yes there was sludge in the line and oil was slow to drain back to the reservoir,
Your machine seems new enough were sludge shouldn't be the issue. Did you measure how much oil drained out? Most people don't but in this case a vital clue

Take look at the oil system diagram in the service manual

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, engine was warm.. machine kept in heated garage.. The old oil drained out fine.. didn't measure, got mixed with other old oil..
After oil eventually drains down in crankcase can see in the fill hole.. looks clean in there.
Checked crankcase vent.. open and unobstructed.
Checked out the you tube video.. did everything how I was suppose to?
Didn't get a service manual with it.. not sure how the oil drains down?

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
I'd drain the oil again and fill with diesel, just to see if it flows nicely as you pour it in. If it does flow as expected then it may have been an air lock or just the way it's made inside caused the oil to flow slowly.
Personally if it measures 'full' on the dipstick and the oil pump is pumping the oil then I wouldn't be concerned on my own ATV. Having said that curiosity would get the better of me and I'd have to investigate!

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Hi: You bike takes 3.4 Liters (3.6 US qts. -- 3.0 Imp qts) Your bike has a dry sump.

Dry sump engines are a bit different from wet sump engines. On Dry Sump engines you will need to start and run the engine for five minutes or so -- then shut the engine off and wait for 2 - 3 minutes BEFORE you check the oil level.
Also if the engine has been sitting for any length of time you have to run it for 5 minutes, then shut off -- wait 2 - 3 minutes and check. Even if you have just changed the oil, you will need to run the engine.

This is because the oil tanks are all above the engine's oil pump. The oil is gravity feed to the pump. The oil will back feed through the pump gears and into the sump. The longer the engine sits, the more oil seeps back into the sump.
You have to run the engine so the scavenging oil pump will pump all the excess oil out of the crankcase and into the oil tank. Once the crankcase is empty of oil and the oil tank is full of oil, you can get a accurate oil level reading. Don't check the oil immediately after coming in from a hard run.

The oil level dipstick that screws into the side of the engine. Take the dipstick out. Clean all the oil off it and insert it back in the hole. Do not screw it in. Now remove it again and look at the lower end. The oil should be between the High and Low marks. If it is low, add some. If it is high, take some out

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was going to let it run yesterday.. discovered I must of nicked the o ring on the oil filter cover! Going to pick up new o ring this morning will let you know how it goes..
Thanks for all the great info!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Warmed bike up, turned off, checked oil after 5 minutes, still had some oil visible through fill hole.. waited another 5 minutes completely drained to bottom of motor, dipstick reading full.. From what I've read I presume all is normal! Bet if oil were really hot would take less time!!
Thanks all!

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Hi: Where are you filling the oil in -- the right side of the bike? or the dip stick hole.

Is the oil filter installed correctly? Rubber ring to the inside of engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Okay with the oil filling --what about the oil filter?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.