Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a ATV guy by any means but I'm a car guy and can handle anything mechanical. I've done my share of work on 4x4 vehicles; (heck, own 4 of 'em now) but I really know nothing about ATVs.

So here is the story. A guy my brother knows offered a old ATV to him for free. The old man meant to get it fixed but doesn't have the time to room to fool with it. The "main problem" is the rear diff is out. When you push it a long you can hear a nasty sounding ratcheting noise in the rear. My brother was going to fix it realized he didn't have the right tool really didn't have the money to invest in it. So he asked me if I wanted it.
I told him sure; I've got the "right stuff" to get it going. I'm just not too familiar with ATVs.

First off, it is a Honda FourTrax 2wd ATV. Not sure of the year.
Was told it was a 300cc.
I need to know how to correctly ID one of these. Do they have a VIN like a car you can decode and get the details?
Will also need to scrounge up a service manual, parts manual, parts sources etc.

Here are a couple pix.
Take a look and if you can help, I will appreciate it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
VIN is on the front of the frame between the wheels.. 10th digit will tell the year.

You can get a service manual downloaded and get started.. NICE project you have..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,477 Posts
Great freebie. Parts for these are cheap looks like you need a seat I think they're $125.
Make sure to get your VIN and year straight because people mix up 2wd and 4wd parts on these models all the time

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Solid GOLD.
Yeah, very good videos.
I really hope when I crack that final drive open I don't find the ring and pinion gears broken.
Bet they are expensive to replace.
The bearing kit is about $100 bux. That isn't bad; but the tool to remove the pinion shaft is $100 bux also. Yikes.

I've not had a chance to check the thing over really closely but I did notice both cables are broken off the rear brake levers. The ends are missing from both cable. The old man said it ran fine when they stuck it in the shed. Who knows how long ago that was. I wouldn't try to start it without de-gumming the fuel tank, lines, carb etc.

I got the VIN off the frame, the 10 digit is a K; which is a 1989 TRX300.
This thing is 28 years old.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
try this on for size, works good for after market, I've used them in the past, they are pretty good, and have the tool you need to remove the pinion gear :). NEW Honda TRX300 300 Fourtrax Rear Differential Ring Pinion Gear Plus Kit 88-00 | eBay .

Excellent. That beats the price I'm seeing for just the ring and pinion from parts vendors.

That includes the seals, bearings and tool.

Looks like the welded version to me....NFG

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
try this on for size, works good for after market, I've used them in the past, they are pretty good, and have the tool you need to remove the pinion gear :). NEW Honda TRX300 300 Fourtrax Rear Differential Ring Pinion Gear Plus Kit 88-00 | eBay .
Excellent. That beats the price I'm seeing for just the ring and pinion from parts vendors.
it's not oem ?, but for what all you get ?, it's a solid buy in my book if your hurting for cash ?, I've used them in the past, they are pretty good !. comes with everything you need to rebuild the rear differential, and you get the tool !. their shipping is fast too !.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it's not oem ?, but for what all you get ?, it's a solid buy in my book if your hurting for cash ?, I've used them in the past, they are pretty good !. comes with everything you need to rebuild the rear differential, and you get the tool !. their shipping is fast too !.
Yeah, that is the thing. Need to save money where I can if I decide to fix this thing. And when I "fix" something I make it nice. I don't like things that look like someone dragged it from a garbage heap.

I've not even heard it run yet so if it has more problems than it is worth I might just save it to trade it in on something new. But from just giving it a "once over" I see what I would think are a lot of pretty common problems for something this old. The bushing for the steering seem to be shot, rear diff, No brakes because the ends are broken off the cables, but there is a good chance the drum brake is trashed. Nothing electrical works, all wires are broken; the list goes on...........

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
paid 300 bucks for this, when it was all said and done, I put about 3k ( give or take ) into it to make it look like it does now. nothing is cheap when it comes to restoring atvs..lol.

Attachments

Reactions: machinecrook

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Depends on how much you want to dig into it.. you should check out a couple of Shadtrees builds and see what he turns them into.. They turn out awesome despite his fear of blue gloves and yellow plastics... :)

You've got a good foundation for a great build.. And the price was right...

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Blue gloves ? And yellow plastic ? I wont even ask......

Yeah good point Cman , check out shades skill!

Reactions: shadetree

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts

the blue gloves when cman first joined the site here, he's afraid of grease under his finger nails I guess ?..lmfao. as for the yellow ?..I fear yellow..can't stand the color..lol. oh, and thanks for the kind words bro :).

·
Registered
2,810 Posts

the blue gloves when cman first joined the site here, he's afraid of grease under his finger nails I guess ?..lmfao. as for the yellow ?..I fear yellow..can't stand the color..lol. oh, and thanks for the kind words bro :).

Haha, you know I'm just messing with you.. lol

Can't brag on your work and let you get the big head...

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Not sure if you plan on keeping it original or not but a worthwhile mod would be to throw a 350D rear end under your 300. Fishfiles on here did a good thread not long back showing and explaining how to do it.
I had mine done in a day.
The 300 rear ends are pretty weak

Reactions: misterclean59

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Not sure if you plan on keeping it original or not but a worthwhile mod would be to throw a 350D rear end under your 300. Fishfiles on here did a good thread not long back showing and explaining how to do it.
I had mine done in a day.
The 300 rear ends are pretty weak
Good thinking, spend the diff money on an upgrade

·
Registered
4,694 Posts

Your welcome bro!! :)

I like the color RED !! Ride red! Or go home!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.