Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep searching craigslist in the surrounding areas but would like if everyone could just keep an eye out for me. I found a brand new left over 400ex at a dealership, $3750. I really only want to spend $2000 and would like to have an 05 or newer with reverse.

I know 3750 is a GREAT deal but I only have 2000 and I'm not going to get a loan right now.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
It might be hard to find an '05 or newer, with reverse, for $2,000. I guess it's possible, but it might take a while to run across one.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Where do you live? What would be locally for you?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found an 05 400ex with an extra set of plastics, new rear tires, fresh oil and brakes. It is a little beat up however. He wheelied and bent the rear grab bar, then when bending it back he broke it off. (new subframe $100) The left rear wheel has play in the hub ($40). He lost a nerf bar somewhere in the 50 inches of snow we had so I can take them off or replace ($100) The motor sounded great, ran very well through the gears (didn't get out of 3rd cause of space) and reverse worked great. He was asking 2000 I was gonna try to get it for 1500 or 1600 hundred? What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Sounds like it might be a pretty good deal, if it's not beat up too bad and runs good, because I hardly ever see an '05 or newer for $2,000. Just check it out real good and like you said, try to get him to come down on it a little if you can. Take your time and look at it, because if you don't when you get home with it, you will probably find a lot of other problems. This is usually how it goes. Anytime you buy a used ATV, you will more than likely, have to replace a few parts. Just make sure you don't have any surprises when you get home with it. If you can test it good. I would try to ride it some more and run it through all the gears a few times at different speeds, if possible.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree, I don't get my tax return for another week so I will be looking more until then. I also was wondering what kind of things I should be checking out when I look, common problems etc... Cosmetic concerns aren't really something I am worried about as long as the motor runs wells and the quad is safe I am a happy man.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Rear bearings,a-arm bushings and ball joints.And the front spindle bearings.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Listen to the engine good and make sure it doesn't have any knocks or pecks or grinding sounds. Check your oil and make sure it isn't full of metal shavings. Check that the clutch is not slipping. Check and make sure the charging system is working. I would check for oil leaks and check to make sure the shafts are good where the shifter bolts on and where the front sprocket goes on. Check the drive chain and front and rear sprockets. Also, check the rear axle and axle bearings for movement or wear. I see a lot of people with rear axle/bearing carrier problems on these if they have been rode a lot. There are a lot of guys on here that own the 400EX, so maybe they can add something, as they will be more familiar with these ATVs, than I am.

Check it over good, because any problems will be your problems, once you buy it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, I did find play in the rear left hub, the carrier felt good, the oil was full and clean. I will check the shifter shaft and the drive chain.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Check the a-arm ball joints and bushings.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I think it just bolts on.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok so in my searches I have found that a lot of people who have their bike for sale don't really want to sell them. I have talked to 2 different people with nice bikes for sale who for no reason refuse to set up a time to look at the bikes in person. but after it all I have two bikes I am still thinking about buying and need some advice.

Bike #1- 2005 400ex newer tires, brakes and extra plastic set. Bikes a little beat but runs great, would need a new rear subframe cause the grab bar broke, left rear hub had some play and he lost a nerf bar riding in the snow. $2000 obo

Bike #2- 2005 400ex new top end bored 416, MINT MINT MINT condition, nice exhaust, nerf bars. This guy was obsessed with maintaining and cleaning his bike. $3000 firm

Help me decide

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I really want bike #2 but it is gonna dry my out money wise. The bike is amazing in person and I will be able to ride it worry free. As far as the price goes, he was asking 3200 and i offered him 2500. He said he didn't want to go below 3000. I am going to his house sat with 2700 bucks in my pocket and showing him what 2500 looks like, if he says no I'll show him 2700 is all I have. I think he will take it.

Bike number one I could get cheap, I was thinking of throwing 1200 bucks down and seeing if he takes it. That would leave me 1500 to fix it up and I could do that over time.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Good luck. Hope you get a good one. A good 2005 and up, is high where I live, too. If you find one cheap, it's usually beat up pretty bad.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts