Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I recently got a hold of a 97 Honda Fourtrax 300 and the rear differential case :icon_ owned: broke where the shaft enters the differential. The rounded area chipped off about size of a nickel. Now if I put in reverse it makes a pop noise, so I parked it immediately. It's been sitting for about 2 months. I would like to know if there is any cheaper alternatives to paying $150 on amazon for the case or should i fork out $300 full assembly. I'm also open to any cheaper solutions one of you might have, hopefully with a similar experience. :|

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry in advance if I posted in wrong section. I just now notices TRX on forum list. I'm new to the site and couldn't find a way to move post.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I couldn't advise on if this is posted in the wrong place, I'd say not, but a mod will let you know, Manny would be a good fellow to chat with

Quote from Manny Bump, if you see something you like on the ebay store, shoot me a PM to make an offer, i can have better prices selling them on here instead of ebay

Here's his string: http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/atv-parts-sale/46404-lots-honda-parts-sale.html

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Welcome to the forums! This thread is fine where it is for now. Its Sunday though... please be patient as many of the 300 experts here might be out having fun today. That said, there are several options for you to choose from to get your rearend fixed, and you will get some very fine help here!

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
If you're planning on keeping it long term get a 250A/ 250 Big Red/ 350 Foreman rear end and replace the whole thing.

The stock 300 rear ends just don't hold up well.

If you want to rebuild a stock rear end, you're looking at $125 minimum for gears and bearings (Caltric, which are supposed to be good gears, but crap bearings) and then you have to replace the case, so you'd be better off buying a used good rear end.

When you hit about $300 you can get a TRX250 or 350 Foreman rear end which will last.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Have to go with either a used case or a new aftermarket replacement. I guess you could take the old case to a machine shop and have them build the broken part back up and then re-machine it, but it's going to cost more than $150...

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
I actually got a 350D rear diff from powersportsnation for $125 shipped
Axle was $38
Hubs were $22 and 20 each
Tubes were $12 and $19

I already had the brake assembly I got with a pile of parts, so I put together another 350 Foreman rear for $236 without having to kill an old Foreman to get it.

·
Premium Member
12,647 Posts
I actually got a 350D rear diff from powersportsnation for $125 shipped
Axle was $38
Hubs were $22 and 20 each
Tubes were $12 and $19

I already had the brake assembly I got with a pile of parts, so I put together another 350 Foreman rear for $236 without having to kill an old Foreman to get it.
Nice ! ------ one small part not to forget , the collar that slides over the axle to back the bearing up , you know what I mean

·
Premium Member
12,647 Posts
Yeah I already had some of those from 350 Ranchers and 500 Foremans

I have quite a few 300 cases with bad gears in them laying around , I know I will not use them as long as there are 250/350 rear ends out there , but I hate to get rid of them , every time I get rid of something , it is not long before I wish I still had it --------

Jeep , so what you think a diff housing , axle and hubs would be worth separate ? I might want to get off a few , maybe a trade , a first gen 300 cdi for a spare , fender mud flares could be good ------

the ironic part is , I went thru so many 300 rear ends , and have not yet blown the gears of a 250/350 rear end , and I ride hard , I think once I started using the 250/350 rear ends I was much more aware of checking the oil and changing it more frequently and / or greasing them frequently and changing the seals and bearings before pushing it to far ,seems to me the weak point of the 250/350 are the hubs splines getting loose with large tires and spacers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all of your answers! If read correctly you said Big Red 350 3 wheeler rear end is interchangeable with the Honda fourtrax 300? If that's the case, GREAT! I have a big red sitting in my backyard right now.

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Thanks for all of your answers! If read correctly you said Big Red 350 3 wheeler rear end is interchangeable with the Honda fourtrax 300? If that's the case, GREAT! I have a big red sitting in my backyard right now.
Not the diff, you have to use the whole rear end.

What year big red do you have? It requires a little work to get it in a 300, but it will last much, much, much longer than any stock 300 rear end will.

·
Premium Member
12,647 Posts
BigRed all depends on where you are at in the world , a BigRed around here is a ATC250ES , a 1985 can be done but require a lot more work as the axle tubes are part of the swing arm , 86-87 is a easier swop with just a mounting bracket welded on , a 86-87 TRX250A will also work as will the TRX350D which requires the mount and shock bracket to be made

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
The guy (Josh White) in that pic I posted has dropped the price on his 300 diff cases.

He's at $76 for them now, with new bearings. His gears were bad, but cases were good and new bearings.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts