Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the last time i changed my oil the drain bolt stripped i hardly even tightend it but i felt it strip it wasnt leaking at all ive been riding it for a couple weeks with no problems but today when i was riding my buddy was behind me and saw the oil start pooring out he flew up next to me and of corse i thought he wanted to race so i punched it luckly i herd him screeming and stoped as soon as i stopped it stalled do you thing i did any damage? i didnt hear any different sounds didnt sound like anything broke we went back and found the bolt i twisted it in but its stripped really bad now whats the best way to fix it without replaceing the case is there something like jb weld i can put around the hole or something to fix the threads with?

·
Premium Member
7,533 Posts
The plug is made of softer metal so you wont damage the threads in the case. Just get a new plug and seal. The engine could have staled when you came to an abrupt stop.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Just go buy a 1/2 in pipe tap and retap the hole and put in a brass pipe plug that's what I did the guy who had the quad before me stripped out the bolt too.

·
Registered
202 Posts
over sized plug if the new one done work there just a hair bigger and when they go in they stay now they have a little plug in the middle u us

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
the bad thing is the threads are metric 12mm so a 1/2 inch pipe tap works really well you just have to take your time when doing it, and you have to support the quad on stands and crawl under it so the shavings stay in the bottom of the engine then pour about 2 or 3 quarts of hydraulic fluid through it to flush it out pur a quart let it drain pour another let it drain ect ect.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Or you can get an expansion plug. I know it's old school, but it works...just ask every 4th person who has ever gotten an oil change and Jiffy Lube;)

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Or you can get an expansion plug. I know it's old school, but it works...just ask every 4th person who has ever gotten an oil change and Jiffy Lube;)

LMAO :icon_ laughup::icon_ laughup::icon_ laughup::icon_ laughup::icon_ laughup:

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts