Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I just cruise the trails in our UTV, nothing that would get your blood pumping, and we need to buy helmets since some trails require them. I know they're a good safety item, and perhaps we'll learn to wear them on a regular basis if they are comfortable. I notice some look like they have an air filter on them, but we don't plan on eating anyone's dust for long periods.

Any advice on what to look for in a modestly priced helmet?

Thanks,

Old and Slow (I'm old, and my wife is Slow.) LOL

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
helmets are one of them things, its best to try on and see what fits you best, stick to DOT approved helmets
as for dust filters, well yes and NO, some of the full faced helmets have some screening that can help divert some of the dust, but they actually sell things that work BETTER for this
do a search for dust masks and your sure to find many for ATV/MX riding!

a full face helmet gets more protection to you in ANY crash than an open faced one ever will

open face gives you better field of vision and are normally lighter, and honestly, there he one's MOST guys wear when they JUST want to be legal, and not focused on the safety of a full faced helmet(IMO)
been riding MX bikes for 30+ yrs now and seen far too many crashes with both types of helmets and even those NOT wearing any at all to see the advantage of a full face one over the others

the material of the helmet and its features will determine the weight and comfort here too
washable, removable liners are NICE

you's being in a UTV with seat belts and a roll cage(I gather), about any helmet will be OK for you's as the UTV itself has safety features to help save you

keeping dust out?? well, that will be the same on either helmet type if you ask me, its a NON avoidable thin g when you ride and its dry ground your on

best advice, is stay up front of other LOL
let others get farther ahead of you so it can settle more

or buy some actual dust masks made to keep dust out of your lungs
BUT good googles to keep it out of your eye's too, BIG advantage here with them, can be had with colored len's to help on sun, or snow or??
I wouldn;t ride without eye protection personally, just as important as a helmet IMO!

have a look here too on dust masks?

http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/wolfsnout/44122-reviews-wolfsnout-offroad-dust-mask.html

also, best place to BUY helmets IMO< is on MX based sites, and look at close outs or discontinued models
they make them by YR to YR on graphic's and last yrs models will be many time HALF price due to NEW yrs graphic's came out, same safety and helmet, just half price due to older decal designs??
you will be limited to sizes and colors, but you can find super deals on helmets on many sites like
Chaperal's, Rocky MY ATv/MX, motorcycle super store , Shadetree, and such sites , and ALWAYS E bay too

but of you have a local dealer near by, go look what they have and try some on, NOT all helmets are sized the same
many run SMALLER than others

you can also try your UTV"S or other OEM"S too, as they too tend to blow out last yrs model helmets too

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Two brands I always like are one industries for a full face off-road style and Hebo for an open face. Both brands vary in price but are always super comfortable and most have removable lining and padding that is wash machine proof.
If you after a road style helmet I'd recommend Simpson.

With a helmet it really is the old saying... You get what you pay for. Here in the UK we can get a good helmet for £80 to £150 I consider anything after that a waste of money, after all a helmet is a helmet isn't it, 99% at that price are all approved and Dot/E marked.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
I shall be wearing my open face trials helmet Sam, still got years left in it. lol

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
I shall be wearing my open face trials helmet Sam, still got years left in it. lol
Haha.. You might be better off using my red trials helmet ;-)

You'll need it when you come in April by the way, helmets are compulsory now at muddy bottom.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Nothing wrong with my white one, it's only 45 years old so plenty of life left in it yet.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
WW2 tin hats aren't E marked, they won't allow it :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
If you are going to wear helmets, then I suggest getting something both safety rated and where the two of you can communicate, i.e., speakers/mikes. The later assumes you want to communicate, LOL. Seriously, I would get something which addresses all areas of need.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Great idea alloutdoors , my riding buddies and i use little handy talkies for chatting on the rides, very helpfull when you get in a pickle (stuck or broke down) real life. Savers, a must IMO

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
I have a boom mic i use in my helmet, uses vox that way it's hands free operation, works great! Baofeng radio/ fm so you have comunications and a radio for listening to music news etc Not your typical radios , they have about a two mile range on transmit and receive

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
just to add in here ALL helmets have shelf life, they age and get brittle and DON"T meet safety requirements anymore

also, a helmet is ONLY made to take ONE impact, after that there considered damaged and again there safety is compromised!
just cause they look solid and OK< doesn't mean there still as good as they should be, cracks can form under paint and decals and in between the layers the human eye cannot see

I personally have seen a few helmets FAIL over the yrs, crack in half or almost like shatter

only have one head, so what's it worth to you??

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I have a boom mic i use in my helmet, uses vox that way it's hands free operation, works great! Baofeng radio/ fm so you have comunications and a radio for listening to music news etc Not your typical radios , they have about a two mile range on transmit and receive
Jay, no personal experience with these, but have some friends out West that rave about the wireless headphones, etc., hooked inside the helmet.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I appreciate all the input and it sure helps in narrowing down what to look for.

I had to smile at the suggestion of getting helmet with speakers and mikes. I see engine noise as a very positive feature, and I wouldn't doubt the wife does too. We were married before they invented the wheel, and we have already said everything that needs to be said. I know when she wants me to slow down when her arms are flailing around, crossed legs means a need to find a rest room, a stone glare indicates general dissatisfaction, etc. She has a few other signs, but perhaps they're not appropriate for this form. LOL

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Jay, no personal experience with these, but have some friends out West that rave about the wireless headphones, etc., hooked inside the helmet.
Oh if you ever tryed using one i bet you'd love it, the reason i got into them was because of my neighbor, he had a massive heart attact, and we came up with this idea because he's disable and is home alone while his wife's at work, they, wanted to do this so if something happened to him again he could call me for help until ems arrived, we use them during bad storms as well, more or less a safty thing, and a lot faster then texting or using a cell phone, down side is there tricky to program. But very reliable and weather resistant not water proof, learned that one the hard way, lol, anyways I'm abit off topic, so I'll let you fellows have at it, great string by the way, I've enjoyed the read.

I'll look into those wireless models, thank alloutdoors!

·
Registered
270 Posts
recently bought a scorpion 950. Not the best or most comfortable but is modular design so you just flip the whole face up when your wife needs to yell at you. Comes with a visor also and has sun glasses built in. I'd buy another for the price. Doesn't block any noise so use plugs if need be.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
just to add in here ALL helmets have shelf life, they age and get brittle and DON"T meet safety requirements anymore

also, a helmet is ONLY made to take ONE impact, after that there considered damaged and again there safety is compromised!
just cause they look solid and OK< doesn't mean there still as good as they should be, cracks can form under paint and decals and in between the layers the human eye cannot see

I personally have seen a few helmets FAIL over the yrs, crack in half or almost like shatter

So, what you're really saying is my 45 year old trials helmet, that I've come off and hit the floor in more times than I've had hot dinners, is probably past it's sell by date !! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: _Wilson_

·
Registered
8,309 Posts

So, what you're really saying is my 45 year old trials helmet, that I've come off and hit the floor in more times than I've had hot dinners, is probably past it's sell by date !! :laugh::laugh::laugh:
more than likely so

many moons back a buddy of mine, wealthy parents, you know the kid that had everything and the best
well back in the day BELL MOTO 3 helmets came out, the latest and greatest helmet on the market at the time'
and well he HAD to have one, so mommy and Daddy ran out and got him one

he had dropped it a few times, NO one thought nothing of it

well one day out riding, he failed to climb a hill and got all pissy, and took that 300+ buck helmet (back in the 80's here) and threw it at the ground in a rage
and that helmet simply broke in HALF, like an egg shell
we all laughed our brains off, at , the greatest and most expensive helmet and how it just broke in half ?
SO< just cause there TOP rated, TOP shelf, after a few HITs, they AL can fail

BUT like every other RICH spoiled kid, he went home a crying and Mommy and Daddy got him a NEW BELL Moto 4, which just came out, an UP graded helmet
he used to get a new helmet about every time a new model came out, and GIVE away his old one's
we used to about fight over who would get it

the perk of having a rich friend I guess? HAHA!
I used to get all his rear tires, as he wouldn't drive on a rear tire that he used more than 5 rides< I think at one point I Had about 50+ like brand new extra tires in my shed, and countless fronts too!

OH the good old days

·
Registered
366 Posts
Myself I wear my old street bike modular (I ride a Rincon), But most of my SXS driving friends were having neck problems with the heavier motocross helmets.

So they opted for the Harley half helmets and are much happier.

Being in a larger SXS you have more protection and are strapped in (I hope!). So having a lighter helmet has it's pluses.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
That's a nice one! But WAY way out of my price range, that looks good enough for a Musem piece!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts