Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you for allowing me to enter this forum.
My name is Bryce and I am a heavy equipment operator in the local 49 in Minneapolis Minnesota area.
I have a 2002 Honda Foreman 450es and am having problems with it shifting.
When I turn the key on the gear shift indicator flashes 3 times which should be the shift angle sensor from what I've read.
But when I try to shift the quad into neutral with the manual lever I get nothing, almost like something is not right in the transmission.
Any ideas on where to go next would be greatly appreciated. I am currently taking the shift motor off and going to check and lube the gears behind it and make sure none are broke. Thank you

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
How old is your battery? That is often the cause of electronic shifting trouble.

Rick

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Welcome to the forum Bryce, from another twin cities resident. When you are trying to shift it with the manual lever, the engine is running, correct?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How old is your battery? That is often the cause of electronic shifting trouble.

Rick
The battery is 2 years old.
But when not in use it is plugged into a battery tender.
I tested the battery with a multimeter and it read between 12.4 and 12.6 volts.
Do you think it could still be the battery Rick?
Because if so I will replace it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the forum Bryce, from another twin cities resident. When you are trying to shift it with the manual lever, the engine is running, correct?
I can't get the engine started unless it is in neutral. As soon as I turn the key it flashes reverse 3 time and won't allow me to shift.
Is the only time the mechanical shift works is when it's running?
Last time I tried to pull start the quad I broke the recoil and it felt like I tore my arm dang near off. Wish it had a decompression switch!

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
I can't get the engine started unless it is in neutral. As soon as I turn the key it flashes reverse 3 time and won't allow me to shift.
Last time I tried to pull start the quad I broke the recoil and it felt like I tore my arm dang near off. Wish it had a decompression switch!
it won't shift unless the motor is running ?, or your rocking the atv when pushing the shift buttons ?.

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
Battery voltage is only half of what a battery needs to do useful work. If it cannot deliver sufficient amperage, it is a dead battery.

Get it load tested at an auto parts store to know the actual condition of the battery.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Battery voltage is only half of what a battery needs to do useful work. If it cannot deliver sufficient amperage, it is a dead battery.

Get it load tested at an auto parts store to know the actual condition of the battery.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
I will take it in and get it tested and keep you posted. Thank you Rick!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it won't shift unless the motor is running ?, or your rocking the atv when pushing the shift buttons ?.
No, the manual shifter doesn't do anything.
I can move it back and forth, but no gear movement.
Could it be a shift fork problem?

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
No, the manual shifter doesn't do anything.
I can move it back and forth, but no gear movement.
Could it be a shift fork problem?
can be ?, but not always !. if the transfer gears at the electric shift are bad/binding ?, it's posb your trouble is there ?.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
worse case ?, the shifting shaft is messed up some where ?, at the rear of the engine, there is a few parts that can break off ?, if this is the case ?, then this calls for you to remove the engine, split it, in order to get to these parts ?. if you can't shift it with the emergency shifter ?, then start at the front, if those parts are good ?, then you will need to pull the motor, and split it, in order to get to the shifting shaft to see where your problem is, i'll bank on this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well tested a few more things.
Bought a new battery as the load test said it was a bit weak. Still flashes 3 times.
Installed new shift angle sensor .... Still flashes 3 times.
Cleaned all connections...Still flashes 3 times.
All shift gears in the front behind shift motor and angle sensor are in great shape and functioning properly.
Any ideas on what direction to go next would be great!
I am thinking the ECU might be bad but at the same time don't want to just blindly throw money at it. Is there a way to test the ECU and see if it is working or not?

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
Bought a new battery as the load test said it was a bit weak. Still flashes 3 times.
All shift gears in the front behind shift motor and angle sensor are in great shape and functioning properly.
I am thinking the ECU might be bad but at the same time don't want to just blindly throw money at it. Is there a way to test the ECU and see if it is working or not?
no way to test ecu's, cept buy a new one. did you pre-load the angle sensor before you installed them ?, did you try unhooking the battery to clear the trouble codes ?.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
this is why I stick with what works...manual shift for the win !!..lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All shift gears in the front behind shift
motor and angle sensor are in great shape and functioning properly.
no way to test ecu's, cept buy a new one. did you pre-load the angle sensor before you installed them ?, did you try unhooking the battery to clear the trouble codes ?.
Manual says nothing about preloading the angle sensor in the angle sensor replacement section.
But I read up on it on line and gave it a try.....No change
Just installed new battery so the unhook/rehook has been done, didn't reset the 3 flash code stuck in reverse!
What should be tried next?

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
All shift gears in the front behind shift
motor and angle sensor are in great shape and functioning properly.
Manual says nothing about preloading the angle sensor in the angle sensor replacement section.
But I read up on it on line and gave it a try.....No change
Just installed new battery so the unhook/rehook has been done, didn't reset the 3 flash code stuck in reverse!
What should be tried next?
use the emergency shifter, or ratchet, put it in neutral, then unhook the battery, reconnect the battery, see if that works ?, I really don't know a lot about electric shifts, just a tad ?, and that tad is...THEY SUCK !!..LOL. try up shifting once the power is back on from the battery. make sure the reverse cable is moving the reverse lever at the back of the motor !!!.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.