Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. My family had an old 1998 300 Fourtrax that has sat for the last few years. It's now in my possession and I'm going to try to get it working! The wheels won't turn but since the shifter is busted off I don't know if its in gear, the breaks are seized, or both. The battery is dead and I haven't been able to find a new one for under $100 CAD. Anyway, I have my work cut out for me. Hopefully I can get it running!

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Good job! This will be great fun they are super nimble and reliable.
Link to service manual and Parts in my sig block. Get a shifter lever–no pliers–and click down to find neutral. Make sure the parking brake is not on. Also if tires are low will seem like it’s locked in gear
Drain old fuel out of tank by disconnecting carb fuel line. Look for rust hopefully none in tank.
Let us know how it’s going and post a pic!

·
Premium Member
12,648 Posts
Welcome to the club Mo' , 300's are my favorite , will be glad to help you any way I can , is your 300 a TRX300A (2wd) or a TRX300 FW (4wd) ?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Enjoy and welcome aboard.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Here’s a new replacement kit everything you need.
And Parts diagrams see why you don’t wanna ruin the shift shaft? Cuz you have to do a lotta work to replace it

Attachments

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Welcome aboard and if I were going to get that deep into the engine, then I would strongly consider freshening-up a few items that may look suspicious and/or needing attention.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Link to service manual and Parts in my sig block. Get a shifter lever–no pliers–and click down to find neutral.
Thanks for the reply!

Pliers had already been used on the shifter shaft. It's trashed. I was able to get it in neutral and its free wheeling now. I am comfortable with minor repairs and can even clean the carburetor (with the help of youtube). I'm a little nervous about cracking open the engine though!

Look for rust hopefully none in tank.
There are some rust spots in the tank. Do I have to replace it or is it possible to run it as is?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to the club Mo' , 300's are my favorite , will be glad to help you any way I can , is your 300 a TRX300A (2wd) or a TRX300 FW (4wd) ?
I'm really pumped about all the responses! Thanks for your offer to help. Its a 4WD with racks and has a winch.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here’s a new replacement kit everything you need.
And Parts diagrams see why you don’t wanna ruin the shift shaft? Cuz you have to do a lotta work to replace it
It's too late for saving the shift shaft unfortunately. It had already been trashed and I made it even worse when I got it in neutral. I'm nervous about replacing it since I'm not experienced with engine repair...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There were some requests for pictures.

Here it is!

I removed the back racks and seat

Battery area was a little dirty

Had to remove the winch control

Panels removed

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All clean.

Yikes! Is it normal to be this dirty here? It looks like a lot of water got in here at one point.

Double yikes!

I'm removing the carb now.

Ok, stripped down enough for day 1.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,648 Posts
I'm really pumped about all the responses! Thanks for your offer to help. Its a 4WD with racks and has a winch.

4wd Nice ! ---- there is an unorthodox ( around here ) way around fixing your shifter shaft , from what I gather , the shaft is still there but stripped , so you put a shift lever back onto the shaft where it needs to be for comfort , then tack weld the shifter lever to the shaft , it will not hurt anything , put the ground on the lever , one quick tack weld then put a wet rag over it , the shaft is already messed up so you won't hurt it , wait till you need to take the engine apart for another repair and fix it right at that time , as far as ever needing to remove the lever , a quick pass with a grind will take the tack off

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
4wd Nice ! ---- there is an unorthodox ( around here ) way around fixing your shifter shaft , from what I gather , the shaft is still there but stripped , so you put a shift lever back onto the shaft where it needs to be for comfort , then tack weld the shifter lever to the shaft , it will not hurt anything , put the ground on the lever , one quick tack weld then put a wet rag over it , the shaft is already messed up so you won't hurt it , wait till you need to take the engine apart for another repair and fix it right at that time , as far as ever needing to remove the lever , a quick pass with a grind will take the tack off
Thanks for the tip! I'm sure the purists would scoff but this bike was a step away from just sitting for the next decade so IMO a little tack weld here and there would do just fine. I attached a picture of the shift shaft. The shifter itself is missing so I'll have to order one.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hate to tell you this , but after looking at your pics , I would think that bike was sunk really bad
I agree. What does that mean for the bike? Do you think that means the engine will be damaged?

·
Premium Member
12,648 Posts
Thanks for the tip! I'm sure the purists would scoff but this bike was a step away from just sitting for the next decade so IMO a little tack weld here and there would do just fine. I attached a picture of the shift shaft. The shifter itself is missing so I'll have to order one.

that shaft can be fixed very easily with a tack weld , it would be a shame to weld a brand new lever to it , but it could still be useable after grinding the tack weld off , in the future ----but after seeing your air inlet tube which looks like it is full of sand , the shift lever is the least of your worries , you may very well have to split the case and totally disassemble the engine any ways , kind of endless on how far you may have to go at the moment , it could turn into more money than you could just find another running bike for , but I don't want to scare you , it is all speculation at the moment ------I think I would start by checking the oil condition, do a compression test , drain the oil into a clean container and see what comes out , the PO may have tried to flush it out , the inside of the engine could be clean , then it could be full of sand and dirt and be totally ruined , sand could have gone thru the intake and washed out the rings and jug and or got into the case and destroyed the crankshaft and bearings -----I would spend any more money on trivial things till you know whats up

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
that shaft can be fixed very easily with a tack weld , it would be a shame to weld a brand new lever to it , but it could still be useable after grinding the tack weld off , in the future ----but after seeing your air inlet tube which looks like it is full of sand , the shift lever is the least of your worries , you may very well have to split the case and totally disassemble the engine any ways , kind of endless on how far you may have to go at the moment , it could turn into more money than you could just find another running bike for , but I don't want to scare you , it is all speculation at the moment ------I think I would start by checking the oil condition, do a compression test , drain the oil into a clean container and see what comes out , the PO may have tried to flush it out , the inside of the engine could be clean , then it could be full of sand and dirt and be totally ruined , sand could have gone thru the intake and washed out the rings and jug and or got into the case and destroyed the crankshaft and bearings -----I would spend any more money on trivial things till you know whats up
Shucks. I dumped the oil and there was about 1/4 cup of water that came out first. The oil seemed thick and "goupy". There was also some dirt or hard bits. I'll inspect it more later but I have a few hours of obligations to the wife right now. Glad I got up early at least!

Should I be moving this discussion to another location or is it fine to continue here in Introductions?

·
Premium Member
12,648 Posts
Bummer , usually when water is introduced in the the crank case , as soon as it happens , it needs to be flushed , since this bike has sat for who knows how long with water in it I would think the worst , as air and water is a bad combo , so now that you have drained the water , you should have filled it immediately with diesel , motor oil or such ----chunks don't sound good

1 - 20 of 25 Posts