Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone i have a problem with my trx 250 97 model i have trouble starting it .Have loads of spark and fuel .Some one suggested that i check my valve settings. well i don't have those settings at all and i have ordered a work shop manual witch has to come from the u.s. Witch will take 2 weeks to get to Australia .Does anyone know what are the correct setting for it and the correct way to set them .Any help would be greatly appreciated

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
Hello everyone i have a problem with my trx 250 97 model i have trouble starting it .Have loads of spark and fuel .Some one suggested that i check my valve settings. well i don't have those settings at all and i have ordered a work shop manual witch has to come from the u.s. Witch will take 2 weeks to get to Australia .Does anyone know what are the correct setting for it and the correct way to set them .Any help would be greatly appreciated
welcome to the forums...i don't know the correct valve settings..most atv's are around the 0.003 to 0.004 feeler gauge settings..may not be yours..as i always go by '' feal '' of my fingers...don't ask me how...after 14 yrs of restoring and rebuilding..i just know how to set them by hand. remove the spark plug..remove the flywheel inspection cap..should be the center cap with a screw slow in it..the also should be a smaller screw cap on that same side..remove it..with a 17mm socket..put it on the center bolt thats on the flywheel..turn the flywheel until you can see a letter T line up on the flywheel with a arrow that's on the case's inspection hole...some have a arrow pointing towards the flywheel. now remove the valve cap covers off the intake and ex valve..loosen each 10mm nut on top of the valve screw thats on the springs...with a feeler gauge..put it under the screw..tighten or loosen the valve screw either up or down onto the spring..then tighten the lock nut back down..before you do this..MAKE SURE YOUR PISTON IS ON TDC ON THE COMPRESSION STROKE..TDC= TOP DEAD CENTER, both of your cam lobes will be facing straight down, piston straight up, a good way to tell for sure..by turning the crank counter-clockwise..watch the intake valve..if it start's to move..then you know your on the compression stroke..make sure everything is tight..put all your caps back in,..crank it up..and see if done it right ?..lol..as for your bike not wanting to start..does it do this every time ?.or just once in a while ?..if it's every time..it's not your valves..your problem is with your carb.

· Premium Member
23,587 Posts
Shadetree, the Recon has the longitudinally mounted engine, so it don't have individual valve covers for the intake and exhaust valve. The head/valve cover will have to be removed. The gas tank will have to be removed to get the valve cover off. Also, it will only have the a single timing inspection plug, it don't have a plug for the crankshaft. It's set up just like a 350 Rancher, except I believe the timing inspection plug is on the left side of the engine, toward the rear, instead of the right side like the Rancher.

Both the intake and exhaust valves set at 0.005 in.

· Registered
440 Posts
something else to check that's easily done.. get yourself a compression gauge and check your compression... I'm not sure on what it should run on that bike, but most others I've seen should be around 120-130psi... if it's really low, it could be either the rings on the piston, or you might have a bent valve sticking open... Do you get any 'blow-back' into the air filter box? last bike I had that had a bent valve, I was able to take the air cleaner off, and when cranking the engine, it would actually blow fuel back into the air box...

· Premium Member
562 Posts
Just wondering because of lack of knowledge but, wouldn't you notice that something is really wrong with your bike before it wouldn't start cause the valves are soo out of wack? This is a real question, not a [email protected]@ remark.

· Registered
440 Posts
If it is a timing issue or bent valve (usually occurs when bike jumps time)... the timing chain could jump time while cranking the engine, thus causing issues that have no lead-up to them.

· Premium Member
23,587 Posts
And he didn't really say that it wouldn't start, he just said he was having trouble starting it. That could mean, either it won't start or that it is just hard to start.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.