Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know how I can keep my headlight wiring from coming loose every couple months? I currently have them connected with just butt connectors but they never hold and even when they do, the lights blink on and off when I hit a bump or experience rough idle.

20171129_144513 (1).jpg

·
Registered
43 Posts
A possible solution could be to use the single sided spade connectors, like the ones that are used stock for joining the headlight wires together. By using these they are more likely to be pulled apart instead of the wire being torn out of the connector.
And also by looking at the photo, were you using wire crimpers? Or just pliers? They will make a fairly big difference in how they will hold.
I'll include a photo of the connector if you dont know what I'm on about.

Let us know how it goes.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
^^^^Best answer!^^^^

Always solder all wiring alterations and seal them up to provide a permanent connection. If you use crimp connectors of any type you'll soon have corroded copper wire that you can't fix by soldering on... so essentially, when you take that shortcut you are destroying your wiring harness. Every time.

You can buy a cheap soldering iron that will work well enough to flow solder into the wires and some rosin-core electrical solder (lead/tin only, don't buy the lead-free garbage for electrical use) and shrink tubing assortment for less than $25. If you do a lot of electrical work you may want to invest in a professional quality temp controlled soldering station with multiple tip sizes and a pound of professional grade rosin-core solder.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I crimped them. And they always seem so unlikely to be pulled apart by rough riding when you first crimp them. I can't tell by looking at the image how I would even use a single spade connector. And soldering seems a little too complex for me. Takes me long enough just using butt connectors.Can't wait to get my polaris ace 570 next year. All the issues that come up every couple months with my 88 fourtrax wont matter much.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I didn't suggest soldering them because thats more of a permanent connection and by doing that it makes taking the front plastics off a bit more annoying. But I agree with all of the above a good solder joint will well and truly hold your wires together and provide a good electrical connection. Its simple to learn, and will be an invaluable skill to have.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I didn't suggest soldering them because thats more of a permanent connection and by doing that it makes taking the front plastics off a bit more annoying. But I agree with all of the above a good solder joint will well and truly hold your wires together and provide a good electrical connection. Its simple to learn, and will be an invaluable skill to have.
Yea I know what you mean. However solder is no more permanent than a crimp butt connector he is already using. You can cut them both lol. Just more work to redo it.

·
Registered
559 Posts
If you're lazy just re-crimp them and then put heat shrink or a bunch of electrical tape over the connection.

Maybe secure the wire to part of the frame too so it is not bouncing around or slamming up against something.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Soldering is a lot easier than it sounds! Look up a couple youtube videos, you can get a decent enough iron and materials for less than $25.

I'm not sure if you have a removable connector upwind from there, but something like this might be perfect for you: https://smile.amazon.com/MUYI-Waterproof-Electrical-Connector-Superseal/dp/B01A6M2ZN6/ Solder that, then you have a secure and removable connection that is water-tight.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
You’re crimping them wrong..You need to use the blue splices for that size wire.. and crimp them more than once. It also helps to rotate your crimps 90’. Cut back some of that black sheath about 3” so it won’t tug on your wires.. use heat shrink to cover them or black tape.. when you use black tape start in the middle and half lap past the end of the splice then go to the other end past the splice then back to the middle.. shouldn’t have any problems after that..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Roger that if your crimps aren’t staying on you’re not doing it right. You have to have the right tools, connectors, and settings for the wire.

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
loose wire lugs

you cant take a # 18 wire, and put it in a #14 wire lug hole. not having the right wire lug, i've bent the end of wire over back on itself to take up space. the crimp is made on the solid side, of the lug. it will never work if you crimp it where the crack is. heat shrink is a good idea, because copper or aluminum wire both will not stand being exposed to the elements. solder is a good thing, unless you leave it and the wire exposed. plus, make sure the wire is secured from vibration, anchored down.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
I wouldn’t solder them. I assume he is talking about the 3 connections to the factory headlights, which tend to be problematic. Other than the bullet style connectors you could buy a weather pack connector or something and use that. Or buy a weather pack pigtail and solder that in if you don’t want to buy the crimp tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts