Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy the hardest working Honda ATV. One that will pull downed trees, trailers etc. What do I want? I read the Rincon with a 3 speed transmission is not a good working machine for the farm. Is an older 2WD foreman better than a 4X4 better when it comes to work? Is an manual better than an auto?

I really appreciate all insight.

DPForumDog
Granny DP

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
foreman, foot shift, straight axle. they are built for work, not so much for pleasure ?, but they handle work very well. go with 4wd for sure !.

Reactions: DPForumDog

· Registered
757 Posts
Don't buy a rincon for work. 3 speed sucks to much power out of it.

Foreman 500 footshift SRA

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everybody!
I wonder if Honda puts out a tow capacity comparison guide? Or a payload guide?

I have the opportunity to buy a 2005 Foreman 500 but it is a 2 wheel drive. How would I go about getting the tow capacity for that model?

Thanks,
Granny

· Premium Member
378 Posts
If your concerned of the tow rating, you must be pulling something heavy.

And if your pulling something heavy up a hill or on loose terrain you will want 4x4.

If you buy that 2wd 05, we will see you back asking how to make it a 4x4.

And you don't want to do that.

I believe my Rancher is good to tow over 800lbs.

And I know I've towed that for sure, with (actual) 26" tires...

1st gear is no problem. But if you want to go any faster its just not to happy. It does it, but the gear ratios just don't jive at the speeds you want to be at towing something..

The bike came with 24" tires. I went down from the big 26" to 25" that's closer to 24.5".... I have yet to max it out towing, but I got a lot more grunt back, that's for sure.

Just my experience.

· Registered
8,309 Posts
the heaviest tow rating on an honda ATV will be I think 1200 lbs, BUT that isn;'t what many here have towed
my old 400 I think has a 500 lb tow rating, and I have pulled trailers well past 3,000 lbs
NOW I cannot pull super heavy things up steep hills or STOP them
very easy to get more weight moving than you can stop it safely!

HOW much payload, is again a questionable thing
most Honda's will have about a 100 lbs on front rack and about 175 on rear
ME and many here I will BET have well surpassed that
I have had close to about ton on mine before?
wouldn;'t suggest doing that, or driving fast over bumps if you do, but I have done it a few times
I have been rather HARD on my atv over the yrs

and you do NOT want a 2x4 atv, based on your questions
SO< I would pass on any you find that are, they will have lower tow ratings too by the way!

things to keep in mind, HARDEST WORKING or BEST anything is a loaded question

honestly, things many times come down to HOW you load, things, HOW you work something and REALLY, HOW well you take care of it , to see it keeps working

be hard on something and never do PM's, and you will have a short lived WHAT EVER!
USED atv's are a GAMBLE, too many WHAT IF"S are involved in buying one
if your NOT into fixing things, know what to look for
you can get screwed REAL fast
far too many folks think ATV's are part boats today, and even those that DON"T tend to ride the deep, have been know to find out the hard way what happens when they do
and many folks will just sell you there atv without telling what they did to it !!
and will do there very best to cover up what they did as well!

· Registered
4 Posts
New Foreman vs rancher

If You are thinking about to buy new one, here is my comparison of Foreman vs Rancher:
- Rancher doesn't have power outlet, but it's no problem to add it
- Foreman has bigger AC output - 481 vs 416 watts. It's better if you will have winch, additional lights, heated grips, ...
- Foreman has slightly better ground clearance - 7.2 vs 7.5 inches. I think that it's mainly due to bigger tires - Rancher has 24x8-12 and 24x10-11 vs 25x8-12 and 25x10-12 on Foreman.
- Rancher doesn't have front differential lock
- on opposite site, Rancher has much better MPG - Rancher 41.4 vs Foreman 33.6

I decided for Foreman with Power Steering (I think that it's a must for hard work - payload on racks, 4wd) and Electric Shift - I need my left foot to operate an equipment.

· Registered
1,943 Posts
Yeah the towing capacity numbers are as good as useless. They are numbers that Honda has decided are safe for any old bloke to truck around with his quad. Really these machines can tow as much as they have traction for if you're careful. You will need 4wd, you think pulling trees and stuff will be easy, believe me even in diff lock trees are heavy things and hey do not like to budge, at the end of the day it's still a 600lb machine and it will only haul as much as it has traction for which is why 4wd is so important.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.