Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Honda Recon 250 and I'm having issues getting it started. I have to play with the choke to get it started. Usually takes a couple minutes until it will start to idle long enough that I can open up the throttle and stay on it. After I'm on the throttle for 30-60 seconds it runs fine. And when it's warmed up I can shut it off and start it right back up. But the initial start is always a tricky and long process. Any help is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
sounds like a complete carb over haul is needed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put a brand new Honda carb in it a couple weeks ago. It started soon after I did that (ran fine the first couple times riding it). New carb probably has 4 hours of ride time.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
I put a brand new Honda carb in it a couple weeks ago. It started soon after I did that (ran fine the first couple times riding it). New carb probably has 4 hours of ride time.
when it dies, are you checking the spark plug for spark right then ?, if its getting spark ?, then its not getting fuel from the tank.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My guess is fuel related but have no idea what to check. If it's spark it shouldn't matter if it's hot or cold. But I know the carb is getting gas. When I pull the fuel line gas is flowing. Doesn't make sense to me that the issue is only when it's cold. Any help in next step troubleshooting? Thanks guys!!

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
My guess is fuel related but have no idea what to check. If it's spark it shouldn't matter if it's hot or cold. But I know the carb is getting gas. When I pull the fuel line gas is flowing. Doesn't make sense to me that the issue is only when it's cold. Any help in next step troubleshooting? Thanks guys!!
where did you buy this honda carb ?, from honda ?, or amazon/ebay ?. have you checked the intake boot for air leaks ?. have you checked and adjusted the valves lately ?.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
where did you buy this honda carb ?, from honda ?, or amazon/ebay ?. have you checked the intake boot for air leaks ?. have you checked and adjusted the valves lately ?.
I got it from Partzilla so I'm sure it is an oem carb. I The intake boot is in good condition. I haven't adjust the valves to be honest I have never done that. Could look into that if that's what the issue could be.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
I got it from Partzilla so I'm sure it is an oem carb. I The intake boot is in good condition. I haven't adjust the valves to be honest I have never done that. Could look into that if that's what the issue could be.
before you go messing with the valve adjustments !, pull the carb back off, have a look through the jets, see if the idle jet picked up any tiny trash from your fuel tank ?.

Reactions: jdlmodelt

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
before you go messing with the valve adjustments !, pull the carb back off, have a look through the jets, see if the idle jet picked up any tiny trash from your fuel tank ?.
If that was the case why would it run ok after it warmed up? Just curious. I'm still a newbie to all this so sorry for the dumb questions! :)

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
If that was the case why would it run ok after it warmed up? Just curious. I'm still a newbie to all this so sorry for the dumb questions! :)
yes and no, when they are cold, you normally would need to choke them, then as they warm up, they then start using the idle jet to run, then when you open the throttle for more speed ?, it switches to the main jet. soooo, at idle on a cold engine ?, it draws fuel from the idle jet, and this jet is very tiny !, it doesn't take much to clog this jet up.

Reactions: jdlmodelt

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That actually makes a lot of sense, thanks for the explanation. Maybe another dumb question... how can you tell if there is a tiny piece of dirt stuck in the jet?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, a quick search and I found out how to clean it. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm going to give that a shot later on today.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
That actually makes a lot of sense, thanks for the explanation. Maybe another dumb question... how can you tell if there is a tiny piece of dirt stuck in the jet?
answer: remove the smaller jet ( idle jet ) from the float bowl, hold it up to a light source, you can barely see though the center if its clear ?. if not ?, its stopped up !. if its stopped up ?, take a strand of wire from a wire brush..like you would use to scrape rust off something ?, use it to run/poke down through the center of the jet, go easy !!, you don't want to break the wire off inside the jet !!!.

Reactions: SpencerD

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Ok, a quick search and I found out how to clean it. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm going to give that a shot later on today.
please post back what you find ?, :).

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Again, thanks for the help! Really hope this fixes the issue! I'll post back my findings.
yvw..i hope ya get it fixed !!.

Reactions: Goober

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Thanks so much for the help!! That was it. Runs great. Starts right up with no issues when it’s cold!!! Appreciate your help so much!!
good deal, ty for the update !. you can find me, folks like me over here --> www.atvhonda.com, thats where we hang now :).

Reactions: chadd7

·
Registered
2019 CFMOTO UForce 500. (UTV), 2019 CFMOTO Cforce 600 (ATV)
1 Posts
Thanks so much for the help!! That was it. Runs great. Starts right up with no issues when it’s cold!!! Appreciate your help so much!!
Thank you and shadetree! I have a CFMOTO Uforce 500 that is doing exactly the same thing! I have been working under the impression that it has to be the choke. But now I am thinking that I really do need to clean the carb. I live in extremely dusty Arizona, and I just got a snorkel on the air filter to get it up out of the dust cloud, and the choke is coated with very fine dust. Nothing helps my problem. So I will be checking out the idle jet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts