Honda ATV Forum banner

61 - 80 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
You'd be better off with an atv winch, a come a long won't pull you out in the time frame most would like to be pulled out.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
come alongs work great and there a great tool to have, I won a few of them, come in handy when you want to pull things you cannot get to with a winch or just pull things together
have NO brand name pick's here LOL
heck don't even know the brand names on the one's I have

I do tend to buy the heavier rated one's however,
but they are for sure slow going, and you can only pull a couple feet at a time, maybe 10 or so on mine!

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
IMO Warn used to be top in winches. I have older Warns and newer warns, and a few years ago they took a serious turn downhill. To clarify that statement I've got a Warn from twenty years ago that all the bushings in it are brass. The ones built in the last few years are plastic. Putting 8000lb of stress on a piece of plastic and then rotating on it just destroys the plastic.
I don't disagree that brass is normally a more durable component than plastic, and things have definitely gotten cheaper with most brands over time, but my 8274's were made in the mid to late 70's and the drum supports on those were all plastic, and they've held up for 40 years, so plastic drum bushings are not neccessarily a new thing or a bad thing. I would have thought they would have used bearings, but then you'd have to replace bearings, and again, these cheap plastic drum bushings are 40 years old and actually looked good when I tore the winches down to get them cleaned up!

While I'm sure a modern day 8274-50 would have some cheaper plastic components on it than my 40 year old winches, the other brands have all done the same or worse, so I'll stand by my statement that Warn still makes the best winches. If you disagree, what brand would you say is better? I'm not saying "better value" I'm saying better......

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
The price of my wench keeps going up and up. LoL

I was planning on running wench right off the battery. Putting a fuse/cb in line and a switch to kill power. Thought this best as if the wench shorts out and draws to much current, this wiring would be toast and not my computer or other OE stuff.

I will look at the 3000's.
My wench is expensive too. Much more so than my winch.:icon_ laughup:

These winches have a small signal wire that goes to a contactor, which is basically a big solenoid. The main power wires do connect directly to the battery, so no worries about frying your computer and whatnot. The small signal wire that needs to go to 12V is usually spliced into a hot wire on the ATV (pink wire on ignition switch of accessory socket power wire) and that way the factory fuse on that 12V wire would blow if too much of a draw happens, which is unlikely given the small draw of the signal wire.

Basically the switch draws a tiny bit of power to activate the contactor, which is basically a giant high voltage switch. The battery connects to contactor, and winch wires come off of the contactor. When you click your remote or handlebar switch, the small bit of current flips the contactor (switch) on, and provides current from battery through contactor to winch, so not really a risk on your factory wires.

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
You'd be better off with an atv winch, a com a long won;t pull you out in the time frame most would like to be pulled out.
Yep. A come along as a backup, yes. As an alternative to a winch? Nope.

Had one in the back of my Jeep until I got a winch. Tried using it once. Took me 1/2 hour to pull the Jeep 3 feet (had to double the line through a snatch block). Gave up and called a buddy to pull me out.

Buy a winch. Seriously.

·
Registered
512 Posts
IMO Warn used to be top in winches. I have older Warns and newer warns, and a few years ago they took a serious turn downhill. To clarify that statement I've got a Warn from twenty years ago that all the bushings in it are brass. The ones built in the last few years are plastic. Putting 8000lb of stress on a piece of plastic and then rotating on it just destroys the plastic.
I don't disagree that brass is normally a more durable component than plastic, and things have definitely gotten cheaper with most brands over time, but my 8274's were made in the mid to late 70's and the drum supports on those were all plastic, and they've held up for 40 years, so plastic drum bushings are not neccessarily a new thing or a bad thing. I would have thought they would have used bearings, but then you'd have to replace bearings, and again, these cheap plastic drum bushings are 40 years old and actually looked good when I tore the winches down to get them cleaned up!

While I'm sure a modern day 8274-50 would have some cheaper plastic components on it than my 40 year old winches, the other brands have all done the same or worse, so I'll stand by my statement that Warn still makes the best winches. If you disagree, what brand would you say is better? I'm not saying "better value" I'm saying better......
You know as for a winch that is better,,,,, I don't really have an answer... I'm just saying that they are not the winch they used to be, but I guess that is the case with about everything nowadays.

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
We can agree on that. Nothing now is made to be servicable. We are a throw-away society where low initial price is king.

My 2006ish front loader washing machine started making a horrible racket. Took it apart suspecting bearings, and found the spindle on the back of the drum had a groove worn where the inner bearing sits. The spindle USED to be available for $33, but the part is discontinued. The spindle IS still available if one wishes to purchase the drum with spindle already attached....for $400. So tell my why, if they still make the part (available attached to a new drum) they won't sell it separately?

They don't want you to fix it, they want you to replace it. That is why my newest vehicle is a 1994 Accord, and why I repair the old stuff around my house rather than replace it, even when replacing it could be argueably more cost effective.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
yes sadly we are now several generations of throw away products now, and people!
just look at how many old TV's get scrapped today, when yrs ago, there used to actually be shops that made money and a good living, fixing them and other appalinces, on NON warranty ceneter contracts!

even look at shoe repair shops and the likes,
they all about gone now
everything is, made to use, and replace without most folks even trying to fix them today!

all the new car dealers in my area, won't even let a used car near there lots, never mind have a lot of them for sale
only sell new cars, all trades go right to auctions these days up here!

look around , odds are you will NOT see many cars that are more than 15 yrs old on the roads today , or in folks yards
as too many cars and trucks today, folks don't have the skills to repair, and the costs many times just ain't worth it, if you cannot fix yourself to even do so!
its all about, just buying more junk!
I also think thats why some many folks, love the older stuff on sites liek this, be them older atv\'s
that they can repair at will, or older jeeps and tractors and such.
we personally also live in a world where the common man isn't even allowed to do a lot of repairs even if they can
due to so many township codes and rules, on what you can do in your own darn yard or property, WITHOUT needing a permit for this or that, , everything revolves around everyone wanting a piece of $$ if your making it or saving it
then add in the legal red tape of meeting codes and hiring engeneer's to make plans and blah blah Blah
try buildinmg a shed in your yard and see what and how many rules you berak if you don't get a permit in most places these days??
crazy
the days of getting ahead are harder now than ever off a working mans skills!

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
Not only is it getting to the point where one must replace instead of repair, but look at what we're dealing with in terms of replacements?

Getting off topic, but just saw this, and needless to say I'll be buying an extra hot water heater this week. I have two in my house now that are both older (one if for floor heat in the den, and I think the other one is on its way out).

NAHB: Big Changes Coming for Water Heater Efficiency. Ready?

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
I personally think the key to making water heaters last is keeping a good waste rod in them, for things to eat , rather than the water heater
if you don't inspect and replace that darn anode rod before its gone, it starts eating way at the tanks, and then failures are soon behind, I am at the I am at the point now I just ordered 2 extras, and plan to inspect every yr and replace every other yr.
or sooner if need be!

the other issue is, amny replacement parts are NOT made of the same materials and or up to quality as things were in the past

companys at one time took pride in making something that lasted
NOW< all they want is it to last past the warranty, NO money in making things that last, so they don't

same sadly can be said about workers, few take pride in doing a good well done. its all just about getting the job done and getting paid, could care less if it works or not,
NOT all people, have this,.but pride in one self today is a dying idea!
just look on Youtube, what folks yrs ago were embarassed/ashamed of, is now posted on line as fast as they can screw up, and proud of there what ever's??
times sure have change, and IMO< NOT for the better!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'll be interested to see how the two compare. Looking at the specifications, they should be pretty close in performance, with the badlands having a faster line pull and slightly higher amp draw (100 vs 106) at 2000lb. Two things to be cautious of with these styles of winches. If you look at the pictures, you can see a gap between the cable drum and the housing on the side with the free spool knob. Keep an eye on the cable when winching. If it gets caught in this gap it will rip the drum out of the winch. Granted, if you maintain tension on the line throughout the entire pull, it shouldn't be a problem, but sometimes that is hard to do depending on the terrain you're winch over. Second, on the harbor freight winch, that wireless remote only works in full second bursts. This makes it difficult to pull in a small distance. If you have it close to the fairlead and just want to snug it up, the full second could be too much and end up bending the mount. I'd pick up a handle bar switch and tap that into the control box so you can make small adjustments once you get it close to where you want it. Let us know how it goes once you get them mounted.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Another Chinese knockoff of a U.S. design?

·
Registered
749 Posts
I personlaly would go with the superwinch. I had a lt2000 before on my old quad and I plowed with it and never had a problem. When I bought my new rincon, I upgraded to the lt3000 and havnt had a problem all winter plowing with it. My friend but a badlands 2500 on his king quad and he hasn't had anything but problems with it. It only pulls in bursts and will only work for like a couple min and then stop.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
:Concow: I agree with mutt and will, go with the Superwinch, they have a warranty, and their customer service is great, I had 2 HF winches and both of them went up when I needed them the most, I was very upset.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
some times what's inside matter more than what's on the out side!
most off brand names copy things to look the same, as a marketing trick of sorts
as many foklks buy based on looks?? NOT just winches or?? but many things in todays markets!

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
They look 'quite', but not exactly the same. The Chinese are excellent copycats. I would go with Superwinch for sure because you can get SERVICE from them. If anything happens to the HF winch, you simply throw it away and get another one. By the way Concow, you might look at the Superwinch website. The LT series winch would certainly work for what you are using it for, but Superwinch also has a couple of other winches that might serve you even better. Superwinch, LLC - Country Select Content
The best prices for Superwinches are usually found on Amazon.com

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
I agree with Kentco look at Superwinches other winch options.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have the Superwinch 2,000, while it's loud as , it works fine and I'm happy with it.
That is very true. I was surprised how loud it was the first time I ran the LT. The Terra runs really quiet.

61 - 80 of 131 Posts