Honda ATV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
I bet my harbor freight winch will pull TWICE as much weight and last TWICE as long as a superwinch!

Lol. I love stirring up the diehard superwinch guys. In the event that my harbor freight winch ever leaves me stranded, I'll post it on here to let everyone know. In the meantime, I'll keep using it and recommending it to others. As to the question of how I am an authority on badlands winches, well, I'm not. I just provide my observations based on my experiences with products I've actually owned rather than applying a negative blanket assumption to all products made by a company that isn't the one I chose. While I don't consider myself an authority on the badland winches, I do feel I am more qualified to give an educated opinion on them than someone who doesn't have one. Which is why I have nothing to say, one way or the other about superwinch. I haven't owned one. BUT, I'll never recommend one either. Just for spite. :laugh:

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
I agree. Buy a good one. Get the badlands 3500.

I won't put down superwinch because I don't have one but I can tell you that based on the experience with mine and the one mounted on a friends rincon, the badlands 3500 is not the "Chinese outlet store" crap that everyone here is saying it is. Considering that none of them own one, I'm not sure how they've become such an authority on the subject. I own one. I ride around with it under water. Pull from stupid angles. Hung my rancher from a tree with it last weekend so I could spray down the bottom. You guys can all keep telling each other what a great decision you made to spend more money for the superwinch. Seems to me that you spent probably twice as much as I did, if not more, to buy a winch that's doing the same thing mine is doing.

Fyi - I am only referring to the 3500. Please don't tell me about your friends that had a different model and how it was crap so this one is crap too.
Looks like you missed the memo, If you buy anything but a Superwinch you are an idiot.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
I agree with mrbb, kentco, and shade on this one go with a quality winch that won't leave you stranded, I had 2 HF winches and both of them are crap. Amazon has some good prices on the Terra winch from Superwinch. Get the 3,500 pound winch witch ever you choose it'll draw less current and do more work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Winch needed... Any suggetions?

I to am looking for a winch for my atv and I do not want one that is going to break after two uses. I need a good one that works great and is not to expensive. Anybody have any suggestions for me?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I to am looking for a winch for my atv and I do not want one that is going to break after two uses. I need a good one that works great and is not to expensive. Anybody have any suggestions for me?
If you want a good one that works great and is not too expensive, get the Badlands 3500 from harbor freight. The 2500 for $49 may be tempting but I'd avoid that one.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I agree with someone who posted back a page that we must all spend our money as we see fit. I have had one of the earlier HF winches from before they went to the badlands brand that I would say was a POS. But it got me out of a bind in snow plow season when a freaking plastic bushing on the warn that was on my Rubicon when I bought it decided to come out which allowed the spool to move far enough out of the gears to no longer work. The HF for me was a good enough winch for snow plowing as there is not much load to lift a plow. It was weak compared to the warn though. It was still on the Ruby when I got rid of it several years later. Both were 2500lb BTW
I currently have a warn 3000lb on the rhino I bought a year ago I am well pleased with it. I also have a Badlands 3500lb on a car trailer that I purchased Which has a 2 year warranty that if it goes out I just have to take it to the store and they hand me a new one immediately with no questions asked. What kind of warranty does Wan or anyone else have? I don't know as I have never purchased any other brand myself. I am well pleased with the Badlands also. I have only used it about a dozen times and most of those times were to winch a rolling vehicle onto the trailer so not a big load. But one of those times was to winch 7 red oak logs onto the trailer that were from a couple of trees that I had cut down both of the butt logs were around 24 inches in diameter and I cut all of the logs 20 feet long to get as much on the trailer with each trip as possible. I was very well pleased with how the winch worked for that. Now all of those were pulled on with the use of pulleys to lesson the load on the winch. By doing so you lesson the load so that it is not working at full loaf so therefore winch does not get hot as fast. I recommend doing that regardless of what brand you have.
All this being said If someone asks me what winch should I buy for my atv/utv. My answer would be, whatever brand you want but when you decide what size you want, buy the next size bigger. You are better off to not use the winch at full load, It will last longer that way.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
I don't think anyone here is saying YOU MUST own or buy a superwinch. BUT waht many are saying is they own and have one and its been a very good reliable winch, and any that have delt with customer service at superwinch, have had good things to say!
and the other deal with superwinches is, they can be had at very good prices, for a top name winch
I again think all the top brand's make good reliable winches
and I find it funny how a person that recommends a badlands winch, also doesn't recommend a certian model by same company??
where as few if any that have main line brand winches, don't say anything about any moel, they just recommend the companys?? not modles!

your money spend it as you like, just don't forget that many times a product getting a lot of plugs, does so for a reason, and vice versa!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Blind brand loyalty is just ignorant. Why should I have to recommend all the badlands winches when I don't agree that they are all suited for what we would use them for? Just looking at the superwinch line, I wouldn't recommend the lt2000 for the same reasons that I wouldn't recommend the badlands 2500. And I certainly wouldn't trade my badlands 3500 for an lt2000. I suspect the terra25 and terra35 are good winches but I don't believe it would be worth the extra money for me to get one. The closest comparison would be the lt3000. Again, not worth it to me to spend the extra money to get one. Everyone says I won't care about the money I saved when it leaves me stranded. Well, you keep waiting for that to happen. I'm not concerned, in the least and, dollar for dollar, the badlands winch has been a much better value than any comparable superwinch.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
HAHA, my first 2500 super winch lasted 13 yrs of tons of use, paid under a 100 bucks, replaced it due to got a new 2500 for a price I couldn't poass up, and that was only reason I replaced old one still works, will se how many badlands winches make it for 13+ yrs of use?? LOL
on a different note
as for brand loyalty, its as shame more folks don't have any, yrs ago, it was something that could be trusted, more so than today, so at times name alone isn't smart, so I agree
but its sad, that its not as common, due to some parts of a name brand or its items are NOT up to the same quality as other items they have!
BUT its lack of loayalty that also created this and many business's leaving the USA, and the fact trust is not always there on name alone
there are many times however exceptions to thsi rule
there are still names of products that are HIGH quality every time, because they take name brand personal and wanat the reputaion of always making top line products
its again sadly not a common places thing as it might have been yrs ago, since we seem to live in a world where everything is made to fail, to make you buy again!
when it comes to buying anthing, I will admit I tend to look at things, and try to stick with names I have experience with and have a known rep for quality, I then decided if paying a little more is worth it or not
some thinsg you can buy cheaper and not be a big deal, and other things, I buy and look at them more as investments, than just buying "X"
and that can justify to ME< why I will pay a little more, price many times does mean quality in todays world, thats not an opinion, its very often a fact
then again some things mark price up based on name alone too LOL\
as I said before, your money spend it as you wish, everyone right to do so
when asked what winch, ?? people recommend what they like, again there right\
when more folks recommend a certain brand, ??? that seems to me to say something? maybe I am the odd ball here for thinking this way!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Ok, not to keep battle going but have a few question. Looks like for $100 can get a super wench 2000lb or equivent manufacture kit, less mounting plate. Couple of questions

1) do you need a remote switch? Seen wench kits with and without? Do you ever winch anything while not on your quad? Thinking remote switch would be nice but that's one more thing for me to keep track of.

2) mounting plates. Are you better off fabrication or buy a plate for your quad. Thinking fabrication best if you have the skills.

3) wiring. Seen a lot of post about intercepting a hot power lead off the run in circuit. Thinking this will be a PIA. Have a 2007 rancher auto. Thinking coming right of the battery with a kill switch and fuse (when not in use) bust option. Keeps the wench wiring way from the bikes computer and if it shorts out hopefull just takes out the battery.

Maybe I can fabricate a mounting plate and snow blade with my harbor freight welder...

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Haha, no a remote switch is not need, I don't have one, , and don't want one LOL
I like the rocker that came with mine, as I have it mounted so O can work it while driving, to lift plow as I go
you can wire a winch directly , no issues,
its how I have mine, 15 yrs and going same wires, have power to it at all times then?
if you can fab a winch mount, no reason why not to?
most don't cause its easier to just buy pre-made one that fits there model and yr atv.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Ok, not to keep battle going but have a few question. Looks like for $100 can get a super wench 2000lb or equivent manufacture kit, less mounting plate. Couple of questions

1) do you need a remote switch? Seen wench kits with and without? Do you ever winch anything while not on your quad? Thinking remote switch would be nice but that's one more thing for me to keep track of.

2) mounting plates. Are you better off fabrication or buy a plate for your quad. Thinking fabrication best if you have the skills.

3) wiring. Seen a lot of post about intercepting a hot power lead off the run in circuit. Thinking this will be a PIA. Have a 2007 rancher auto. Thinking coming right of the battery with a kill switch and fuse (when not in use) bust option. Keeps the wench wiring way from the bikes computer and if it shorts out hopefull just takes out the battery.

Maybe I can fabricate a mounting plate and snow blade with my harbor freight welder...
First, I wouldn't get the superwinch, or any other manufacturer, 2000lb winch. The design of these winches leaves a gap between the drum and the winch housing which the cable can slip into and rip the winch apart. This is a very likely possibility anytime you're winching at an angle. Very rarely have I been able to winch straight ahead. For the rest of your questions:

1) you don't NEED a remote. With that said, I have a wired and a wireless. I like the wireless because it allows me to walk the cable out without having to get under the fender to turn it to free spool. I also seem to always forget to lock it back in to winch in. I use the handle bar switch 95% of the time, but the other 5%, it's nice to have the wireless remote. Very rarely have I used the wired remote. Maybe once or twice.

2) I made the plate for my 300 because I couldn't find one. For my rancher, I gladly paid the $50 for a kfi plate. After buying the materials, the money I would have saved wouldn't have been worth the hassle to make another one.

3) I'd tap into the wheeler wiring rather than adding a switch. You have to have power on that wire one way or the other. Just decide if you want power all the time or only when the ignition is on. Then pick a wire to tap into. No reason to add a switch when it would just be redundant.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I agree with Convict, you don't NEED the remote switch, but it comes in handy occasionally. I have purchased mounting plates made specific for the quad, and I have also purchased a universal mounting plate. HF has a universal plate for about 5 or 6 dollars btw, Neither was easier to mount than the other. I also agree that I wouldn't buy a 2000lb winch. I will never buy anything less than a 3500lb again. As the winches of any brand get larger ratings they get built better and with a better design. I do have one suggestion that has not been covered. I do believe in having some sort of overload protection. And instead of using a fuse, I always use a circuit breaker. They are available at any auto parts store. If you are out and using the fuse and it blows, if you don't have a spare with you, then you are without a winch. But if you have a circuit breaker it resets itself when it cools. And as for having the control circuit for the winch always hot or just hot when the key is on, I have had both ways and don't see a real advantage either way.

·
Super Moderator
36,410 Posts
I agree with Convict, you don't NEED the remote switch, but it comes in handy occasionally. I have purchased mounting plates made specific for the quad, and I have also purchased a universal mounting plate. HF has a universal plate for about 5 or 6 dollars btw, Neither was easier to mount than the other. I also agree that I wouldn't buy a 2000lb winch. I will never buy anything less than a 3500lb again. As the winches of any brand get larger ratings they get built better and with a better design. I do have one suggestion that has not been covered. I do believe in having some sort of overload protection. And instead of using a fuse, I always use a circuit breaker. They are available at any auto parts store. If you are out and using the fuse and it blows, if you don't have a spare with you, then you are without a winch. But if you have a circuit breaker it resets itself when it cools. And as for having the control circuit for the winch always hot or just hot when the key is on, I have had both ways and don't see a real advantage either way.
the advantage of having it wired hot with key on, or wired hot at all times ?..is if you do not have an inline fuse wired in. if it's wired to be hot with the key ?..then if for some reason the fuse ( if there is one ? ) did not blow ?..and you needed to turn the winch off in a hurry before it burnt up ?..then the key method would cut power to it quickly. where is, if its wired direct and the fuse did not blow ?..then you sure enough would burn the winch up fast.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
On brand loyalty, it's not what it used to be.

Warn is the top dog in the winch world. PERIOD. It simply cannot be argued that there is a better winch company out there. That said, they are VERY expensive. I've got 3 8274's and an X8000i, and they are the cat's meow.

For ATV winches I couldn't justify spending Warn money. I have Viper Max winches on my two now, which have been problem free for about 5 years. The Viper classic that I tried was junk and stripped out after less than a year. I pieced together a good winch to put on the wife's rig by using the motor from that one and the gear housings from an old Venom winch that a buddy took off of his Rincon. We'll see how it holds up. I don't expect it to last, but given that I built it out of parts it's not like I paid a premium price for it.

I have used Superwinch hubs on one of my Jeeps for over a decade. Zero problems from them. In the Jeep community Superwinch is at the present time one of the upper end brands. Warn still rules, but Superwinch isn't far behind, and like Warn, are known for EXCEPTIONAL customer service. That prompted me to pick up a couple of the Superwinch LT3000's on Amazon for $123 shipped. Thus far they have been problem free, and were cheaper than even something like a Viper Max. Time will tell how they hold up, but at least Superwinch has a reputation for quality.

The kicker with brands is they change. Optima batteries were the top dog in the Jeep world for years. Then they sold out to Johnson Controls. Same purty red case, same name, but Johnson Controls moved production to Mexico and the quality went to crap, while at the same time the prices went up. I ran red tops on 7 different machines, and quit buying them after I had two die in under a year (bought the same day in 2009). They were replaced under warranty, but let's not forget the "pain in the butt" cost of having something not work when you need it to work, having to pull it off, and go exchange it.

That is where paying more for a quality product comes into play. Warns are pricey, but how often are you going to have it not work? How often are you going to have to take it off your machine and go exchange it? How much is not having to walk home worth to you?

Harbor Freight is a fun place to nose around. Cheap stuff, but not anything I would use in a situation where I'd find myself stranded. I have the tire mounting tool. Not great, but not bad for what it costs. If it breaks, not a big deal, I just take the tire to the tire store and pay them $10 to mount it. Most of their electrical and pnumatic stuff is garbage. Their air compressors and hand grinders are pretty much disposable. That said, I have a HF floor jack that has worked great for 10 years. The Predator small engines are chinese made Honda clones and have a great reputation. I look at what I'm buying and how I'll be using it. If my tiller craps out, it's not a huge deal to take the engine back. I won't be anywhere running my tiller where it will be too inconvenient if it craps out on me. If I take a chance with a HF winch and that winch craps out and I have to walk 10 miles, leaving my $4500 wheeler in the middle of nowhere, that is a big deal.

You can't go wrong with Warn. I'm not saying they're worth what they charge, but they will be the most likely to work when you need them. The others are all a crap shoot, but I'd feel better about a known good brand like Superwinch than a known crap chinese brand like Harbor Freight, especially when the Superwinch is $123 with no shipping or sales tax.

Make your educated guesses, and learn from your choices.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Warn is the top dog in the winch world??!?!? You can't say that around here! There are a lot of super sensitive superwinch guys that won't like to hear that!

Your post hits on my main issue with the name brand winches. Warn, superwinch, etc. Nice products but worth the premium price? Not to me.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
not from me, LOL
I think warn winches are at the top as well, and there prices reefl;ect so!
I also like Milemarker and superwinch too!
actually like Mile Marker one's more on the Hydraulic 8,000+lb models

·
Registered
512 Posts
IMO Warn used to be top in winches. I have older Warns and newer warns, and a few years ago they took a serious turn downhill. To clarify that statement I've got a Warn from twenty years ago that all the bushings in it are brass. The ones built in the last few years are plastic. Putting 8000lb of stress on a piece of plastic and then rotating on it just destroys the plastic.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
The price of my wench keeps going up and up. LoL

I was planning on running wench right off the battery. Putting a fuse/cb in line and a switch to kill power. Thought this best as if the wench shorts out and draws to much current, this wiring would be toast and not my computer or other OE stuff.

I will look at the 3000's.

41 - 60 of 131 Posts
About this Discussion
130 Replies
35 Participants
gregp
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing