Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Harbor freight tire changer....does this thing work?

Going to need tires for my ATV. Honda dealer quoted me $25 each to mount tire...no balancing.

Today I got a Harbor Freight flyer and they have their tire changer on sale for $30. Also have a motorcycle attachment for $30, not sure if I would need.

Question is does this thing really work? And by work I mean can some with reasonable intelligence and mechanical skills change 4 tires in under say 3 hours with minimal risk of injury or damage to new tires. thinking I will have other tires needing attention someday so if this thing works would be worth it and could save me a few bucks.

Would like feedback from someone who has had success or failure with this unit. Thank you in advace and boy I hope spring is almost here.....serious case of cabin fever!

·
Registered
749 Posts
Going to need tires for my ATV. Honda dealer quoted me $25 each to mount tire...no balancing.

Today I got a Harbor Freight flyer and they have their tire changer on sale for $30. Also have a motorcycle attachment for $30, not sure if I would need.

Question is does this thing really work? And by work I mean can some with reasonable intelligence and mechanical skills change 4 tires in under say 3 hours with minimal risk of injury or damage to new tires. thinking I will have other tires needing attention someday so if this thing works would be worth it and could save me a few bucks.

Would like feedback from someone who has had success or failure with this unit. Thank you in advace and boy I hope spring is almost here.....serious case of cabin fever!
It was only $30?!?!??? I might have to pick me up one of them if it works out for you. A local guy charges either $35 or $40 for all 4 on mine.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not kidding, the local honda dealer quoted $25 each tire without a pause, like this is the going rate. I'm good with supporting local business, but seamed high. Your $10 per tire seams more reasonable.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have one of the harbor freight Bead breakers. It works just fine. It is a little weak so pay attention to not bend it. A buddy borrowed mine a few years back and tried to force a tough tire that didn't want to break down and he bent mine. I work with metal all the time so it was no big deal for me to straighten and strengthen mine. this apparatus just breaks down the beads and then you have to remove the tire and reinstall the new one with a couple of flat metal bars. It is not hard to do if you know how. there is probably a video on youtube that explains how.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Harbor freight has a Badland 2500 lb winch with wireless remote for $50. Anyone have one of these? Do these things last? Realize if your quad lives under water nothing is going to hold up well. This ok for light trial riding?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone have Chicago Electric 170 amp mig/flux wire welder?

See Harbor freight has theses on sale for $160. Looks like a great price if they actually work. Anyone have one? Thoughts..good/bad.

Yes, I have posted about three things in today's Harbor Freight flyer. May next week my wife be kind and throw it ways before I get a chance to see it!

·
Registered
749 Posts
Harbor freight has a Badland 2500 lb winch with wireless remote for $50. Anyone have one of these? Do these things last? Realize if your quad lives under water nothing is going to hold up well. This ok for light trial riding?
I would not reccomend it. My friend put it on his and it hasn't lasted for crap. You get what you pay for. I reccomend superwinch. I put the lt3000 on my rincon for plowing and it hasn't let me down. When I plow it's usually all day so its a lot of in and out. I paid $123 on Amazon.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just mounted one on my wifes quad, Guy's over on the polaris forum have been having good luck with them recently.. The power wires were a little on the small side about 10ga but it seems to work good..

pic of my wifes.

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
I personally wouldn't buy one if I did any real off roading and might be far from help, and need it to work to get me out, a superwinch many times can be had for under a 100 bucks, and have a LONG time track record of being a very good winch,(other name brands too, but they tend to have higher price tags)
personally in winches its things you cannot see that tend to be where the failures are, so looks alone??
and most times, they break when you need them most LOL
as I said before, when you NEED a winch, stuck in ??? lands, odds are the extra 50 bucks to get a higher grade winch won't be what your worried about having spent, odds are it will be a better investment?? but thats me??

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have a badlands 3500lb mounted on the front of my car trailer. It has been there for about a year and I have probably used it a dozen times. So far I have no complaints.

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
Ive got one, its worked for me 10% of the time. Its useless for beads that havent been broke in years.

·
Registered
78 Posts
A handy-man jack and a block of wood will bust your knuckles and break the bead. Some jacks that have a removable top handle you and mount it lower and use a couple boards and squeeze it to break the beads.

Or do like I did. Take a front end loader and boards on top and bottom and mash I down.

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
I used my winch about 200 times today while plowing,in/out of line to lift and lower plow! and about 2,000 times this winter maybe more??LOL , that is why I won't buy a cheap one? spend 50 now , have it fail and then its already costing more than what it would have to just buy a good one the first time?

·
Registered
749 Posts
I used my winch about 200 times today while plowing,in/out of line to lift and lower plow! and about 2,000 times this winter maybe more??LOL , that is why I won't buy a cheap one? spend 50 now , have it fail and then its already costing more than what it would have to just buy a good one the first time?
I'm with you on that Mrbb!! I can't tell how many times I used my winch plowing. It's constant in and out with like a minute in between and I havnt had a problem at all. Superwinch is my choice. I wouldn't buy anything else

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
I also would not buy one from Harbor Freight. In fact, there's very little that I would purchase from H.F. They are essentially a 'Chinese Outlet Store'.

As said above, a winch is something that you highly, and strongly rely on. Likewise, it's one area where you should be concerned about quality and reliability.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts