Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Southeast Oklahoma! Long time motorcyclist, first time ATV owner.

Recently picked up a 2011 TRX420TM from my cousin that's been sitting up long enough to have all the woes of bad gas. So far I've found a gummed up fuel pump/screen and a totally plugged up petcock valve. The good news is the machine was priced right and was barely used. The original tires still have the tits on them:icon_ lala:Hopefully these things will be addressed by today and I'll discover no more issues. But just in case......I thought I'd sign up here and introduce myself! I've cleaned the fuel pump and screen (hoping to get by without replacing) and I'm about to remove the tank and petcock to get them cleaned up. Will post up later this weekend, or sooner if I run into trouble!

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
Hello and welcome to the group. Sounds like you might have an easy one to bring back from the dead.

And hey - my daughter in law is from Idabel.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
welcome to the site and best of luck on your atv
If its been sitting a while, I highly recommend changing all fluids, fuel, oil,(oil filter) diff, new air filter and spark plug, BEFORE running it

why mix all that old stuff up?
drain, re fill
ride a few hrs and repeat, to get all the crap out again after what all settled on the bottom from sitting is now stirred up
after that, you should be good for ling life of that ATV with basic PM's

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
welcome to the forums, I hope you also ride a Honda motorcycle ?!..lol.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Sounds like a great project and on the right track to get it going again. Once running, I would change out all the other fluids as well, engine oil, differentials, etc., as well as service the air filter/spark plug. I look forward to seeing a few pics

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey folks, thanks for the warm welcome, I feel loved! I will/have taken the advice whole heartedly and intend do follow it up with action.

Update on TRX: With LESS THAN moderate force the petcock valve snapped i.e. internal failure. Kind of surprised me to realize the valve was "non serviceable". I considered drilling out the rivets to see just how non serviceable it really was but I abandoned the idea because I figured the best I'd do was re-position the valve to "on" then be stuck without the ability to turn off my gas. Plus the fact that the fuel screen/filter had disintegrated which sells for $20 to $30 made buying the assembly for $50 seem the way to go. While I was at it I went ahead and picked up a new air filter and oil screen. Already have some oil so I've got what I need to suit myself.

As far as all the motorcycle commentary goes.........I LOVE TWO WHEELS....as such I have never been loyal to any one brand. I rode street almost continuously from 1979 to 2010 at which time my first child was born. I sold my 99' Hayabusa when she was a few months old. Does this need further explanation? I think not. As for Harley's, I've had a dozen or so but never put many miles on one with the exception of a 2001 Wideglide. All the other ones were sold shortly after getting them running and cleaned up. Not necessarily on purpose, but someone would always make an offer......and I'd send her down the road and keep my eyes peeled for the next one. As far as Jap bikes go, I have owned and loved all of them. Current stable has two dirt bikes. Yes, I'm more likely to get a little banged up on a dirt bike, but far less likely to go meet Jesus! (As compared to riding the Hayabusa) Those bikes are a 99' YZ400F and a 1972 Yamaha Mini Enduro 60cc. My first, and favorite bike! Steal my new 4 wheeler, my truck, my puppy dog, don't jack with my mini enduro!!

Back to the TRX- The parts came in yesterday!

Thanks again for the welcome, wish me well for a test drive today!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, fired it up and took a 30 minute test ride. Overall it runs pretty good. Has a little sputter and the higher end of the rpm range but I'm not sure if something in the fuel injection is gummed up or if its an electronic governor of sorts. I'm going to burn a few tanks of gas through it and see if it straightens up. I probably have some additives like Lucas or Berryman's I could add. Any thoughts, by all means share!

FYI- I have the history on the machine from the time it was purchased new. My cousin bought it new in Feb 2011. He took it out to his hunting lease twice a year (deer season) up until this last season which he missed. So, the machine sat a little over a year without having had any preparation for storage. I was shocked by how much CRAP came out of the tank and line, filters etc in such short time. These days, 3 month old gas is already OLD GAS!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts