Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I've had this 1998 Honda recon for about 10 years. Always started, never had any issues(for the most part). My young kids rode it around the yard in the snow or I'd tow em in a toboggan years back. Then it sat for a few years(3/4). Now I decided to get it fired up again. My intention is to use it for plowing snow. Yes I know its 2x4 but from reading, it does a decent job. and frankly, I'm tired of workin on my stupid snowblower. My driveway is flat and paved. I bought a used cycle country plow, a universal mount, and a used lt2000 winch. I've installed everything with minor issues. kind of workin backwards but..after all that was done, I could start it but it only idled. As soon as I gave it gas it stalled. From years of sitting, it was a no brainer that the carb needed a cleaning. So I took it off and used berrymans chem dip. (this is the first of any maintenance I did to this baby so I hope it loves me back....) It turned out pretty good. got her all back together, fires right up. It needs tweaking but I was able to plow my driveway with the last bit of snow we had. I plan to use it for utility purposes more than trail riding as there is no place in jersey. Kids seem to have lost interest in it, so I'm doing a bit of restoring for a second life for myself. Hoping to get some help on some carb adjustments and other questions as I start to give it a new life again. Ill post a few pics when I get a chance. thanks for listening. Kurt

· Registered
1,418 Posts
Hi everyone, I've had this 1998 Honda recon for about 10 years. Always started, never had any issues(for the most part). My young kids rode it around the yard in the snow or I'd tow em in a toboggan years back. Then it sat for a few years(3/4). Now I decided to get it fired up again. My intention is to use it for plowing snow. Yes I know its 2x4 but from reading, it does a decent job. and frankly, I'm tired of workin on my stupid snowblower. My driveway is flat and paved. I bought a used cycle country plow, a universal mount, and a used lt2000 winch. I've installed everything with minor issues. kind of workin backwards but..after all that was done, I could start it but it only idled. As soon as I gave it gas it stalled. From years of sitting, it was a no brainer that the carb needed a cleaning. So I took it off and used berrymans chem dip. (this is the first of any maintenance I did to this baby so I hope it loves me back....) It turned out pretty good. got her all back together, fires right up. It needs tweaking but I was able to plow my driveway with the last bit of snow we had. I plan to use it for utility purposes more than trail riding as there is no place in jersey. Kids seem to have lost interest in it, so I'm doing a bit of restoring for a second life for myself. Hoping to get some help on some carb adjustments and other questions as I start to give it a new life again. Ill post a few pics when I get a chance. thanks for listening. Kurt
Great story and glad to see the new interest in preserving the old girl. Be sure to post a picture.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.