Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
No lie it struggles. The link is to my Facebook, cause I tried to load videos before and it wouldn't let me. You can reply back on here or message me. But yea guesstamate 90psi compression, I'm gonna do a check on mine, cause I found The last air filter I bought wasn't the right one, and there was a hole in the foam, found dirt in the intake to carb tube.

So maybe if I can catch uncle gone, compression check for grandpa's, may have to scroll down on the link.

https://www.facebook.com/jordan.powell.3998

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
90 psi is too low !. you need a min of 100 psi to run, anything over 100 psi is even better.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
90 psi is too low !. you need a min of 100 psi to run, anything over 100 psi is even better.
How did link work for this test? And that was half choke first with two pumps, then full choke and two more pumps, finally caught. Mine is completely different :D Doubt if you would know how an old diesel kicks when it starts, mine does the same thing, strong sharp and fast, but my battery or starter is getting weak. Gonna replace both, but seen a kit on G&H had the whole starter brushes and bearings for the housing I guess. post a picture. I was going to get brushes, but seen this. Also got a steering shaft stem kit and upper bushing for mine. Saving up for new 4x4 back wheels so the new (soon to come) STI Black Diamond tires will go on. Looking to get better handling. Would the Shindy kit be better is the Hi Caliber a good brand?

http://www.ghdiscountatvsupply.com/honda-trx-300-fourtrax/

http://www.ghdiscountatvsupply.com/1988-2000-honda-trx300-fourtrax-2-brush-plates-starter-rebuild-kit-free-u-s-shipping/

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
did not use link, no need to. shindy carb kit is best. never use choke for compression test. open throttle wide open when cranking over, then see results on compression gauge.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
did not use link, no need to. shindy carb kit is best. never use choke for compression test. open throttle wide open when cranking over, then see results on compression gauge.
I know, that thing is getting harder to start lol. And Shindy kit huh:D

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
yep, shindy carb rebuild kit. compression test, 90 psi is too low, time for a top end rebuild if its 90 psi ?. may as well change out the cam chain while your at it, clean the pick up screen, inspect the clutches, adjust valves, pretty much time for an over haul ! :).

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yep, shindy carb rebuild kit. compression test, 90 psi is too low, time for a top end rebuild if its 90 psi ?. may as well change out the cam chain while your at it, clean the pick up screen, inspect the clutches, adjust valves, pretty much time for an over haul ! :).
I know, but my uncle is the overseer of that one I have 0% say, but I do wanna do a compression check if I can convince him when I do mine cause of the torn wrong air filter and dirt in the intake tube, not heavy but it in the airbox section, good maintenance item on mine anyway. In your experience shade if one runs high on choke and backfires with stock jetting adjustments does the rubber carb to head boot and seal go bad with heat cycles? Just curious. It's not much to buy.

I'm kinda feeling el dumbo for not knowing it was the wrong filter lol

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
Here’s how i start mine—full choke, ignition key on, roll throttle on full, start cranking and roll throttle back to one third open. 5-6 seconds should start.

You say it runs decent after startup?

If it doesn’t start or run well, you can bet at least the carb has problems.

Easiest to do at this point is to replace the starter valve on the carb. Then carb rebuild you know the seals will be brittle as corn flakes.

Shindy kit 03-031, a new starter valve and a primer pump i think all for a benji

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
I know, but my uncle is the overseer of that one I have 0% say, but I do wanna do a compression check if I can convince him when I do mine cause of the torn wrong air filter and dirt in the intake tube, not heavy but it in the airbox section, good maintenance item on mine anyway. In your experience shade if one runs high on choke and backfires with stock jetting adjustments does the rubber carb to head boot and seal go bad with heat cycles? Just curious. It's not much to buy.

I'm kinda feeling el dumbo for not knowing it was the wrong filter lol
the intake boot can go bad, but most times, no. but !, there is an o-ring stuck behind/between the intake boot and head, it goes bad, causes air leaks.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Goober I meant when it warms up and gets heat in it, I'm sorry.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Shadetree, I'll go ahead n replace the o ring on the boot n probably the boot to. One question on the choke valves are they all the same, I mean do the all open the same amount inside when u pull the cable? But I think mines a carb dirty issue on the choke side. I was thinking maybe a later model one would make my choke more steady running when I rebuild it.

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
Shadetree, one question on the choke valves are they all the same, I mean do the all open the same amount inside when u pull the cable? But I think mines a carb dirty issue on the choke side. I was thinking maybe a later model one would make my choke more steady running when I rebuild it.
honda did change the enrichment valves on some of the trx300's through the years, some use a short valve, others used a longer valve ( enrichment valve ).

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Shadetree, one question on the choke valves are they all the same, I mean do the all open the same amount inside when u pull the cable? But I think mines a carb dirty issue on the choke side. I was thinking maybe a later model one would make my choke more steady running when I rebuild it.
honda did change the enrichment valves on some of the trx300's through the years, some use a short valve, others used a longer valve ( enrichment valve ).
93 to 2000 should have the longer valve but if it doesn't could i put one in?

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
No they won’t interchange
My 93 had the shorter fatter valve
My work 98 has the long narrow valve.
The difference is the carburetor—you could install the later model carb but then maybe the choke or throttle cable may not fit zackly.

The 86-89 TRX350 valve also will not fit. It looks good but The conical seal is just a tiny bit larger and will jam in the bore.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No they won’t interchange
My 93 had the shorter fatter valve
My work 98 has the long narrow valve.
The difference is the carburetor—you could install the later model carb but then maybe the choke or throttle cable may not fit zackly.

The 86-89 TRX350 valve also will not fit. It looks good but The conical seal is just a tiny bit larger and will jam in the bore.
I'll just get the Shindy kit 1993 to 2000, clean it good n see. Just was wondering if ya baught one off an old man very low hours and it ran high on choke if that was gas or error in stock settings, cause I had to go out on my idle mix. Runs good now minus leaking needle.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
That’s a good looking plug there.

You have to take the tank off and maybe the seat crossbrace to get to the starter valve. If your starter valve look like mine you need one

Here’s a pic of my 93 carb VE90

Attachments

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Goober, I was gonna replace the tiny o ring, but then I thought ah y not just redo it and remember where my adjustment is. I got my kit but two days after, they said invalid address so I just canceled the order, will get it again another time.

Was gonna leave the needle and the mixture screw o ring, and clean possible ethanol residue out. I'll do those things another time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts