Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really don't want to split the case, just going to resell this bike...but I do want to fix it. Any good fixes...preferably fairly easy/cheap.

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
Eh, if you were going to keep it I would suggest trying a fumoto valve. If you're selling it I guess you could do that, but I would hope you would disclose it to the buyer.

Are there ANY threads left at all? I put a Fumoto with some blue loctite on the wife's 420AT. On the 08 420FM I'm rebuilding there weren't even enough threads left to hold the Fumoto so I had to replace the case 1/2.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I would try a Helicoil. Just remember if it doesn't hold and falls out while your riding the engine will be toast if you don't shut her down right away.

Rob

·
Registered
767 Posts
Don't use a helicoil. The oil takes forever to drain. Tap it to the next size up.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I put a 1/2 inch oversize car oil plug in my 300 and it worked great.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Of course I'd tell whoever buys it, but all the same I want to fix it first. And fix it right. I'm not gonna sell someone a bike they can't just fire up and ride. I got it for cheap cause the guy that had it thought the head gasket was blown. It was only the thermo sensor that was broken so the fan never came on. Grounded the sensor wire so the fan is on constant while it's running and it hasn't overheated since.have a new sensor for it but prefer it constantly on. Is there any good reason not to tap it a size bigger? Other than shavings in the case? I can prevent that.

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
I'm not familiar with the racing quads. I know on the Ranchers there is a gap between the case bottom and the threaded portion, so when that top threaded portion breaks off, there isn't much meat left in the case bottom to hold a drain plug.

Here's a pic of what I did with the fumoto on the wife's Rancher AT. The bottom threads were still good enough to hold it, and the blue loctite seals the threads and keeps it in place.

Oil drain plug size - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

The 08 Rancher FM I'm rebuilding wouldn't even hold a plug, so I replaced the case 1/2 in that one.

There is also the automotive drain plugs that screw in and then have a smaller plug in the center. You could tap yours out one size bigger and use loctite to hold it in place, then the oil drains through the smaller hole in the middle of the plug.

Robot Check

·
Registered
767 Posts
Of course I'd tell whoever buys it, but all the same I want to fix it first. And fix it right. I'm not gonna sell someone a bike they can't just fire up and ride. I got it for cheap cause the guy that had it thought the head gasket was blown. It was only the thermo sensor that was broken so the fan never came on. Grounded the sensor wire so the fan is on constant while it's running and it hasn't overheated since.have a new sensor for it but prefer it constantly on. Is there any good reason not to tap it a size bigger? Other than shavings in the case? I can prevent that.
The fan rarely ever comes on on these bikes. You really have to try to get it to come on. Think mine came on once after about an hour of sand dragging

·
Registered
683 Posts
Where are you located and how much do you want for it?

·
Registered
683 Posts
A little too far for me to drive!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts