Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Honda ATV, new guy here. My future father in law bought me a 1989 350D. It runs fine everywhere but at idle, shifting seems fine, but it smokes a lot (especially at idle) and if it sits for a while it'll smoke for several minutes all through the RPM range. I figure it's got an oil leak somewhere, but this is my first ATV and I don't really know where to start.

Also, who knows how the thing was treated before he got it. I know with cars generally the first thing to do is change fluids, go through the brakes, clutch, fuel filter, etc. but I'm not really sure what I should look for on this old fellow. Don't want to break something by being ignorant. If you guys could offer me any pointers that would be great. It's got some more issues I'll have to work out later (handlebar has a lot of play in it, incredibly hard to turn, etc.) but to start with I just don't want to kill it fiddling around with it lol.

EDIT: Tried to attach pictures but I don't think it worked. I'll try linking:

Attachments

· Premium Member
5,960 Posts
SWEET!!! Someone did a lot of work to it... racks are modded, camo skinned fenders, etc. Looks pretty good! Pretty nice guy giving that old sweety to ya' eh? Does she have any cute sisters...? Just kidding! :)

You are right on about the fluids and maintenance stuff that should be looked after right away. The father-in-law can probably help bring you up to date on all that.

It sounds to me like it may be low on compression due to a high amount of hours of running. I'd do a compression test on it before going any further with it. Should check the timing chain too, right away. If you need any help on those procedures just ask.

You can get the service manual for it HERE. You'll need that manual for troubleshooting everything and for reference. An online parts fiche is useful too, cause so many parts do not interchange from year to year or model to model. Many do though, so use the parts fiche for reference when looking for replacement parts. HERE is a good one.

As far as your steering issues go... The steering stem lower support bearing is probably rusty and seized up and the steering pivot bushings and sleeve rusted and sloppy. Both are easily fixed with new bearing, pair of bushings, sleeve and new seals. I got pics of those if you need help finding them on the machine.

Keep us informed on your progress...? I have an 87 350D so my interest in these old sweeties is high!

· Premium Member
5,960 Posts
In event you are going to change the oil and filter right away... make sure that the motor oil is the proper viscosity and it MUST be rated JASO MA and/or JASO MA2 for compatibility with the wet clutches. Failure to put the proper oil in it can cost you dearly.... K&N sells a good oil filter (KN-113) cheap for about $7 online or on the fLeebay. Brake fluid should be completely flushed out with new fluid by bleeding the old from the front brakes. Again, ask if you haven't ever done this. Lots of great help here!

· Registered
394 Posts
Welcome, and congratulations! The 350D is a very worthy machine. Be ready to spend, though- many parts are very hard to come by, and get expensive. Hopefully, your's will not need much.
There are members here with a ton of knowledge and experience about the 350D- you are at the right place.

· Premium Member
5,960 Posts
If it just needs a top end refreshing (you'll know soon) the entire job can be done for less than $500. That $500 would get you a fresh cylinder bore and a Wiseco 10.25:1 piston kit with top end gaskets, a valve job and valve seals on the head, a timing chain and side cover gasket and fresh oil and filter. She'd be new again. Thats a worse case on these generally... yours may need fewer repairs... you'll know soon.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked the compression on the old gal today. The FSM says compression should be 178-206. Mine came up at just a hair under 120. Think she needs a top end, or is that within "normal range" for a 30 year old ATV?

The spark plug is black and wet. I'm guessing it's got oil all over it. You think that's the rings and such or do I have a leaky intake valve? I'm fairly familiar with large engines, but not sure how that sort of knowledge transfers to these guys.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also I made a quick (like 30 seconds) video of my handle bar issue. Does this problem mean I'll have to take the whole "steering stem" out (Page 12-25 of the FSM - 190 in the PDF) to replace it?

Thanks for your help.

· Premium Member
5,960 Posts
Ya, 120 psi at cranking speed means the topend needs to be rebuilt. G&H is HERE, good price with a great reputation. It'll take almost $500 to do it all... head, cylinder & piston kit, timing chain, right-side cover gasket and the oil & filter change.

Your steering stem looks like the bushing at the top has gone bad. It either seized to the stem and is wearing inside the steering head, or it has fallen out... slid down the stem and laying on top of the lower bearing mount. If it has just fallen out you may be able to save it. Otherwise... maybe not. Have to pull the steering stem out and have a look at it.

EDIT:
When you get the nut off the bottom of the stem and pull it out, check the condition of the seals and bearing in that lower mount. The ball bearing is sealed, it should turn freely with no gritty feeling spots in it, just feeling a bit of drag from the grease inside it. It should be fairly clean inside that mount, little or no rust.

Keep us posted

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dang. So what happens if I leave it as is for a while? I know it'll need to be rebuilt eventually, but I just bought a house last month so if I can avoid throwing some cash at this guy for a little while and get away with it, it'd be nice.

Gonna focus on the steering for the time being. Other than being time consuming that shouldn't be too bad. I've only had to use the old bolt extractor on one screw so far in this guy. Lot less rust on this than was on my truck.

· Premium Member
5,960 Posts
You can run it as-is until the compression gets so low it won't start, then fix it. I would check the timing chain though... don't want it jump time and bend valves, killing it. You can adjust the clutch, adjust the valves, change all the fluids... adjust brakes, change brake fluid and motor oil, oil in the front and rear ends, etc, in the meantime. Do you know how to check the timing chain?

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright cool. I'll probably let it run for a while then. It's not going to get a ton of usage anyway, mostly just help me out around the house and at my future father in law's farm.

Negative on the timing chain. Is the procedure in the service manual somewhere?

Thanks again for all your help with this.

· Premium Member
5,960 Posts
The steering head bushing is listed HERE, #2,Bush, Steering, 53221-VM6-004
If you feel lucky today you can order it from Partzilla. Their reputation and service is not good though... You can search that part number on the fLeebay and get it for a few cents more than Partzillas shipped price, or maybe you can find it elsewhere...

Anyway, glad you intend to keep the old gal working for a few more years.

EDIT:
Just thinking.... (yeah, thats dangerous, for myself and any innocent bystanders) ...disregard this if its silly... but just wanna remind you that when you check the motor oil on these Hondas, you take the dipsick out and check the oil without screwing the stick back in. If you screw the stick back in then read the level, you'll end up overfilling it... something you don't want happening on an already smoking motor... The O-ring on the stick may fall off too... keep an eye on it.

Keep us posted,

· Premium Member
497 Posts
@retro you're on fire man! Very helpful. Now I want to buy myself a 350D so we rebuild it together :D Hehe
@OldGreyBeast1 You've got yourself a beautiful machine worth a lot of $$. A little cash into it and she'd be brand new. I get where you're coming from though, buying a house really puts a wrench into other financial plans!

· Premium Member
5,960 Posts
Ya, great! I feel like these old tanks are getting scrapped out for parts a bit too often! Too many people are exploiting them to make a few quick and easy bucks. I view old stuff as being very capable, durable and built to last... quality and usefulness and reliability and time-saving that no machine today can match. Most of them are repairable even though high mileage and age and neglect have long since worn all the shiny off.

I have an attitude toward machinery... I don't like to solve any problem ever again... once I fix something, or fix something up to use, I expect to be able to turn my attention to other things and keep it there. If I own something that breaks down or quits in the middle of a work day, I'm upset, my time is being wasted. If it is an item that I can't depend on, it gets replaced with an older, more reliable item. I been that way all my life... gotta clear the crap out and keep it out, else I'm just another hamster on a wheel accomplishing nothing.

This 89 350D is a walk in the park... its built to be a workhorse and a fun toy forever. When the topend becomes worn out like this one is, its just another milestone in the maintenance schedule! A landmark that we all know is there and is approaching! Its just another routine maintenance task to renew that topend. Once its done and the entire machine gone over for fresh lube, a couple new bearings (repacked) and seals and other minor routine maintenance things, such that the clock can be reset back to nearly zero... Well, its just another routine maintenance loop I'll have in front of me... that may stretch out for 30 years or more before its time to reset it again.

Meanwhile, the silly Jetsons are all scurrying around a hamster wheel owned and managed by someone else for their exploitation... for some more cash... so they can buy yet another shiny new Electro-Plastic-Disposable-Crappola-Gadget to replace the one they just bought a few years ago, that they couldn't maintain or repair themselves because of all the electronic traps.... and thats dead already, as was designed! The Jetsons are a stupid class of humans, cause they'll work all day long in anticipation of giving all their paycheck's back as soon as they get it!

LOL :)

While you are tinkering on that old sweety the next time, check the crankcase breather tube (connects to motor next to the timing chain tensioner) and make sure the funny looking little rubber check valve on the drain end of it is clear. Mud Daubers like to build nests in the end of hoses and tubes and can pack them full of mud pretty quick. I'd take the entire breather tube assembly off (including the hose going to the bottom of the airbox) and clean it out, just in case...

· Premium Member
1,651 Posts
OGB1 ..... the back rack seems larger and a different design than OEM ?
Are you able to access the battery/toolbox ?
The expanded metal on your racks makes them much more versatile .... bungee anywhere.
Nice quad ..... congratulations !

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm pretty sure that rear rack isn't factory. It does line up with the factory rack mounting holes, but it's mostly held on with hose clamps, lol. I'm going to weld up some proper mounting brackets to make it more sturdy.

It does have a little door on it so that I can get to the battery box, which is nice. I'm definitely a big fan of the mounting surfaces. It'll make this little guy very useful!

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pulled the steering stem. The upper bushing/bearing was totally gone. It looks like it's been gone for years. My neighbor said he could make me an oversized one if I have to remove a few thousandths of material to get a smooth surface again. Both the stem and the collar deal it goes into are pretty heavily corroded.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.