Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2015 Foreman in October, and have been evaluating the stock tires in my day-to-day use of the vehicle. For the most part, the stock tires perform satisfactorily for normal use in the woods i.e. pulling a small trailer to collect firewood. However, I also use it a fair amount in the winter to drive down my driveway to get the mail. I have a long driveway. I found out quickly that the factory tires are not very good in snow. Fortunately, we aren't getting much snow this winter, but I would like to have different tires in place before next winter. My former ATV (2000 Honda Rancher) had Bear Claws on it, and they were excellent in snow. Without having much experience with ATV tires, I am inclined to get Bear Claws for the Foreman, but my mind is open, and would like to hear from others what their recommendation would be.

I have seen that you can get Bear Claws and other brands on Amazon, and the price is pretty good when buying a set of 4.

-Ken

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
bear claws are good tires, if you liked what you had before I say get them again,
Big horns work well
as do a TON of other tires
Pitbull's
I love my 589's
but lots of great tires out there today and seldom are they OEM tires, OEM;'s tend to stick cheaper tires on there machines, as many are low ply and that helps keep weight down,(helps make atv feel more powerful(SMALL AMOUNT) and a softer ride, for test drives in parking lots LOL

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
Any all terrain tire will do well in snow. I really like mud bugs on the lower HP machines. The best tires I've ran in the snow are 29.5" Outlaws, but that was on a machine with substantially more power.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Just a suggestion .....
Try your OEM tires with 2 1/2 lbs. air.
Ran the stock tires with low air for many winters .....
We have a very 'greasy' wet snow here on the coast.
It might work with a drier type snow.
Let us know ....

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the great suggestions. To answer Will.Kostail's question, I will only have one set of wheels and tires, so they will be used all year long.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I've got Bearclaws and they work great in the snow and every thing else.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now that we've finally had a little more snow, I've been able to give the OEM tires a better evaluation regarding traction in snow. Actually, they seem to have pretty good traction in deep snow. I think the poor traction that I got earlier was because I was driving on a small layer of melty snow over an icy base. With the good snow traction that I have seen now, I guess I'll just keep using the OEM tires until they wear out or become damaged beyond repair.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
As Mac102004 said, All-Terrain tires are usually a good choice for snow - as long as they have more than half their original tread on them.

If you want the best ATV snow tire that money can buy, take a look at this one: Snow Beast | Maxxis Tires USA Remember though that it is only for snow. So, an all-terrain radial will probably be a better choice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts