Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so finally after getting all the work done to the engine/trans.. i got it all back together (ran fine before engine work) now when i turn the key on all the lights on the display come on like normal.. when i push start it clicks once loud then a bunch of little clicks the lights on the display blink with it for a sec until it all comes back solid like i just turned the key on.... im guessing a bad solenoid or starter maybe a seized motor? idfk how do i find out.. i went through and did the obvious checking grounds and connections redid a few just to be safe still no fix.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Dead battery?? Tried jumping it off??

Short the terminals on the solenoid.. if it starts, bad solenoid...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dead battery?? Tried jumping it off??

Short the terminals on the solenoid.. if it starts, bad solenoid...

battery read 12v i tried jump starting it with a car the solenoid just clicked louder, jumping the terminal just makes the dash lights cut out

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Starter is bad or something is binding.. may need to recheck your engine/transmission work..

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
You could hope for a 'sticky' starter, hold the start button and tap the starter with a small hammer or from the top with a bar or something like.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
everyone is saying starter but the engine was turned over with the starter/compression checked before it was put back on the bike.... im going to scrap this thing haha ill let yall know when i figure it out

·
Registered
223 Posts
If a brush is stuck in the starter this can cause what you are saying, if you didn't have the starter apart already, I would pull clean regrease, if you have sticky brushes they will stand out. Takes about 30 minutes to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Try testing the starter motor directly...?

Find the positive starter cable where it attaches to the starter motor and follow it back to the solenoid post first... to verify those starter cables are hooked up right. Disconnect that positive starter cable from the solenoid post.

Then find the negative battery cable where it is bolted to the motor for ground and follow it back up to the battery negative post. Disconnect that ground cable from the battery.

Remove the battery from the bike.

Connect one end of your jumper cables to a known strong battery (a car battery is fine), red on positive black on negative.

Then on the other end of your jumper cables... the red (positive) jumper cable should be connected to the positive starter cable that you took off from the solenoid, first... don't allow that cable to touch a ground...

Then clamp the black negative jumper cable to the negative ground cable that you disconnected from the battery, momentarily.

Sparks will fly if the starter is good, so cover your eyes and be careful that heavy arcing don't melt down something when you ground that jumper cable. If the motor cranks when its jumped directly, the problem is upstream... a bad battery, a bad solenoid, cables swapped by mistake, etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts