Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was talking with a buddy who has a custom atv shop , he works on anything but Honda 300 is what he rides , he builds and sells the 381 kits for the 300 --------he was telling me about a new type of gear reduction for the 300's , with this set-up you don't have to do any machining to the clutch basket , don't loose reverse lock out or the neutral light and there is no grinding to do on the case , it is done with the gears behind the clutch , it comes in 2 ratios , 18% and 20 something ( CRS )

Anyone heard anything about this new set-up ?

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
armor tech makes a GR kit that is a direct bolt in for the '95-'03 trx400, '98-'04 trx450 S/ES, '03-'05 trx650 Rincon, and the '06-'08 trx680 Rincon, they show nothing for the trx300's.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Haven't heard anything. There was some talk of people trying to put 350D gears in them or something. But I haven't heard of anything that didn't require machining or grinding. You'd have to split the cases to get a beyond the clutch basket.....

The current 18% requires minimal grinding and you still keep your reverse lock out. I think the bigger GR's you loose that. As far as I know the kick start still works even with the 54.

I'm interested to see if they can stack GR's, maybe get up to a 69% or beyond.

The Armor Tech GR's are a rip off, just FYI. The GR for the 400/450 is just stock 300 gears (14%), and the Rincon GR is just the BRGR which is all factory Honda parts.

Currently there is 3? for the 300s 18, 30, 54, only built by custom builders though.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Haven't heard anything. There was some talk of people trying to put 350D gears in them or something. But I haven't heard of anything that didn't require machining or grinding. You'd have to split the cases to get a beyond the clutch basket.....

The current 18% requires minimal grinding and you still keep your reverse lock out. I think the bigger GR's you loose that. As far as I know the kick start still works even with the 54.

I'm interested to see if they can stack GR's, maybe get up to a 69% or beyond.

The Armor Tech GR's are a rip off, just FYI. The GR for the 400/450 is just stock 300 gears (14%), and the Rincon GR is just the BRGR which is all factory Honda parts.

Currently there is 3? for the 300s 18, 30, 54, only built by custom builders though.
On the subject of GR's I should be expecting a 34% within the next month or so, what grinding is necessary? I didn't realise grinding was necessary.

I'm surprised nobody has made different ratio CW & Pinion kits yet, not home made obviously but the aftermarket companies etc.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
There is a few spots that the basket contacts parts inside the motor that it shouldn't, I can't remember what off hand but I remember something to do with the little bracket that holds the kickstart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Ahh ok.. Nothing major then?

·
Premium Member
12,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I talked with the guy that builds gear reductions today , wow there are quite a few ratios out there , I might be off with some of these numbers cause he talks fast , says he can do 18 , 24 , 36 and 54 , the first two small ones don't require grinding of the case , the grinding is at one of the bolts of the kick starter bracket , you need to take out some of the case ----------- for a 54% he has ready to go he gets $425 and you bring your clutch basket and gear to exchange with him and says a 300 with 54% and 28's will go 22mph tops , says you don't have to eliminate the reverse lock out , but he does ,says you have to ground out the neutral light and it will stay on all the time , he has 32's on his 300 right now with a 54 and says it will sling them as far as the new no "clutch basket mod " reduction he says he hasn't head of it for the 300 yet , just 450 , 500 and such

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
You can keep the reverse lock out with the 54. No grinding on the actual case either, just the top kick start stopper mount bolt. The custom primary and clutch basket gears are by far the most "bang for your buck" mod out there for a 300. What other 300 class bike can be absolutely stock, put a $425 part in and sling 29.5 in most mud around? A guy named Jeremy Lee built my 54 and is doing some other custom work on my build. He is one of, if not the top reduction maker for the 300's. he makes several reductions for the 300s and is the only one in the world making a reduction for the Pioneer 1k

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Definitely need motor mods with that 54 if you want to sling a 32.

The Reductions "after the basket" which would be secondary reductions are only for the 420/500 motors I think? Pretty sure the 300 doesn't use a secondary gear set only primary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On the engine mod , the guy I talked with yesterday sells a 380 kit for the 300 , that he has built , it goes for $600 , you get a re-sleeved jug , piston and wrist pin , he suggest using the Weber cam and hardened rock arms and says you will get another 4 hp

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
You can keep the reverse lock out with the 54. No grinding on the actual case either, just the top kick start stopper mount bolt. The custom primary and clutch basket gears are by far the most "bang for your buck" mod out there for a 300. What other 300 class bike can be absolutely stock, put a $425 part in and sling 29.5 in most mud around? A guy named Jeremy Lee built my 54 and is doing some other custom work on my build. He is one of, if not the top reduction maker for the 300's. he makes several reductions for the 300s and is the only one in the world making a reduction for the Pioneer 1k
This is who's doing Sam's 34%

Reactions: SamUK

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
I wonder how much a 18% gear reduction costs.. I would love to put one of those in..
$350 plus cores from Jeremy Lee.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Hope it's OK to post this here admin, if not then feel free to remove it.

These are the prices I had off Jeremy Lee for GR on a 300
18% is $350 plus cores, 34% is $500 plus cores, 54% for $425 plus cores.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.