Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here, and just acquired an '04 Foreman 450 ES. Right now everything seems to work, except the gear position indicator on the readout. When I turn the key on, all the segments in the indicator light up, and then it goes blank, except for 3 dots in the center. When I shift up, or down, it will show a "4", until it's in gear, then the dots return, except when in 4th gear, then the "4" stays lit. It shifts up and down thru all the gears just fine, I just cannot tell which gear it's in.

This is my first ATV, however, I have made a living working on motorcycles, jetskis, boats, small engines, and lots of cars over the years

Any help would be appreciated.

Premium Member
Hi welcome to the forum.

I am not terribly familiar with the ES but if it is shifting then the shift motor is working. I do not know if the position indicator is integral to the motor.

Attached is a link the a service manual. There should be a diagnostic section which could get you further; likely someone has posted a YT video on the physical replacement of this item.

Please post your results!

https://drive.google.com/drive/mobi...VlpkeHU2dVk?usp=drive_web&sort=13&direction=a

Registered
Welcome to the forums. What part of the world are you in?

When you say your machine shifts, does this mean you can drive it through each of the gears? Or is this just "bench shifting"?

<<It shifts up and down thru all the gears just fine, I just cannot tell which gear it's in.>>

Premium Member
angle sensor sounds bad?, or the gear postion switch is bad ?.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

When you say your machine shifts, does this mean you can drive it through each of the gears? Or is this just "bench shifting"?

<<It shifts up and down thru all the gears just fine, I just cannot tell which gear it's in.>>
It drives and shifts thru the gears, up and down, neutral and reverse, just fine, but can't tell, from indicator, which gear I am in. I have to count shifts, up and down.

Premium Member

It drives and shifts thru the gears, up and down, neutral and reverse, just fine, but can't tell, from indicator, which gear I am in. I have to count shifts, up and down.
again, angle sensor ?, or gear position switch is bad ?.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.