Honda ATV Forum banner

Gas tank screw stripped

13K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  Jonesymnt4x4 
#1 ·
2005 Rancher 350 ES 4x2
My issue is the brass insert molded into the gas tank is turning so I can't remove the petcock. I was going to clean out the screen and petcock, but, there is a threaded brass fitting for the mounting screw to fit into that has come loose from the tank with the screw still tight. The threaded fitting and screw all turn together. Has anyone come up with a solution other than a new tank?

#2 ·
.... I been there before and just threw the tanks away , I would probably buy a tank from someone like PSN and be sure to ask if the bolts unscrew on the one I was about to purchase , but if I were in a road warrior situation , I would cut the head off the bolt with a grinder , after flushing the tank very good with water so I don't blow myself from sparks and fumes , I would then feel good to use one bolt and 3M5200 and glue the petcock down with the one bolt

#4 ·
OBD says the nut is already spinning , do you really think an impact is going to get it to turn now ............. I would have to think it is just going to make the hole where the nut was impregnated into the plastic bigger

take the other bolt out , put a pry bar under the petcock and maybe the nut will pull out of the plastic before the petcock breaks ----if that works then maybe you can grab the nut with vise grips, get it out the bolt , then try to epoxy the nut back in

Look at it this way , what could be worst than a fuel leak develop while in the woods and light the bike up in flames -----maybe you should just bite the bullet and get a new tank

#5 ·
OBD says the nut is already spinning , do you really think an impact is going to get it to turn now ............. I would have to think it is just going to make the hole where the nut was impregnated into the plastic bigger
You'd be suprised at what a 1/2" impact necked down to a 1/4" drive 8mm socket can do. LOL.

Wouldn't surprise me if it snapped that bolt loose without moving the nutsert at all, even though it's loose.

#7 ·
not to try an confuse matter's much. you might be able to JB Weld, or epoxy the brass insert, before you use the impact. its been a while since i have done this.

#11 ·
Hay man...have you ever tried BELZONIA MOLECULAR METAL? I used it for years in refining for issues like this...

it is a 'paste' you mix up.. spread it where you need it... place the old threaded bushing or insert in place and let it dry.
it forms 'new threads' where you need them and is TOUGH AS METAL... It has a 'release' compound you can use on your
insert so it will..after drying...screw back out.. neat stuff...have used it on H2 recip compressor shafts... gas pump volutes..
lots of places...can get it off the internet... stuff is JAM UP GOOD might prevent purchase of a new gas tank.. I always have
some handy around my shop for just these 'DAG GUM IT"...to much torque issues!

God bless

Nose Dive

#15 ·
I have used BELZONA in refinery maintenance application for over 40 years... gasoline, crude oil, diesel, weak acids and bases... water..H2 gas..sour gas..methane, propane...you name it. There are two types...one is 'machinable' the other is not... It does not break down in gasoline or oil... follow instructions... it is easy to mix and use and drys fast... good luck

Nose Dive

#17 ·
I have heard of JB WELD... have not used it as...BELZONIA does what...where,,,when and how I needed it to do for me...my equipment...and the equipment in refinery equipment repair situations for over 40 years.. I know...it works...and ... to date...Belzonia has NOT FAILED ME... I do not know anything about JB WELD... Sorry... God Bless guys...

Nose Dive.

#18 ·
Devcon is another 2 part putty that can pass the grade , I learned about it working offshore , they use it to repair 1,400 psi pipeline leaks , they mix it on the deck of the boat , the diver goes down and applies it to the leak , 20 minutes later they crank up the pressure

#21 ·
2005 Rancher 350 ES 4x2
My issue is the brass insert molded into the gas tank is turning so I can't remove the petcock. I was going to clean out the screen and petcock, but, there is a threaded brass fitting for the mounting screw to fit into that has come loose from the tank with the screw still tight. The threaded fitting and screw all turn together. Has anyone come up with a solution other than a new tank?
2005 Rancher 350 ES 4x2
I driled and filed the head off the bolt, where I could remove the petcock valve. filled around the brass insert with job weld, after it set up used vice grips to remove the rest of the bold. So far no problems

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.