Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Recon 250. I thought my carb float was stuck open because gas would drip from the vent tube. I bought a rebuild kit and had my carb rebuilt. When it was apart it was in great condition with hardly any "gunk" inside. My brother is the one who did the repairs (he's a diesel mechanic). Got it home and rode it for a little and put it in the garage. 30 min later I went out and could smell gas again. Once again there was a small puddle of gas dripping from the vent tube. Any ideas what to check next? Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We put a new seal on it. Ahhh frustrating. Will it hurt to ride it until I can get it fixed? Was planning on taking it out tomorrow for a ride.

·
Registered
26 Posts
A new seal on the float valve or new float valve? Sometimes reaming the float valve hole and new float valve will fire this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it safe to ride like this? I only want to ride for a couple hours but don't want to mess anything else up by doing that.

·
Super Moderator
37,075 Posts
no its not safe to ride , fuel will leak down into lower engine case, and ruin your oil. the trx350 ranchers are very bad about the float needle seat not sealing with the float needle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since the float needle was replaced what do you recommend? New carb?

·
Super Moderator
37,075 Posts
Since the float needle was replaced what do you recommend? New carb?
as bad as i hate to say it ?, yes !. MAKE SURE YOU BUY AN OEM CARB FROM PARTZILLA, ROCKY MOUNTAIN ATV !. do not buy a china knock-off to save a few bucks !!!. while your waiting on a new carb, you could '' try '' to run something down in the seat to polish the seat angle ?, but i've never had any luck doing this. as i said, this model carb is the worse about leaking from the float needle seat. been there, done that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
as bad as i hate to say it ?, yes !. MAKE SURE YOU BUY AN OEM CARB FROM PARTZILLA, ROCKY MOUNTAIN ATV !. do not buy a china knock-off to save a few bucks !!!. while your waiting on a new carb, you could '' try '' to run something down in the seat to polish the seat angle ?, but i've never had any luck doing this. as i said, this model carb is the worse about leaking from the float needle seat. been there, done that.
Awww man was hoping that wasn’t the case but thanks for the advise. Appreciate it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guess I’ll have to take it to the shop because I can’t rejet the carb myself.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One other question... how would the gas be getting into the lower engine case?

·
Registered
7 Posts
When the engine is off. Fuel is going down the carb and into the engine due to the needle/seat is not sealing. Not sure how much a new carb is but I bet not cheap. I would still fix the one you have.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will the carb need to be rejeted? Spoke to someone about it and he was thinking that that wouldn’t need to be done.

·
Super Moderator
37,075 Posts
When the engine is off. Fuel is going down the carb and into the engine due to the needle/seat is not sealing. Not sure how much a new carb is but I bet not cheap. I would still fix the one you have.
its almost imposb to fix carbs on these models, the float seats are defective from the factory as far as i am concerned .

·
Super Moderator
37,075 Posts
Will the carb need to be rejeted? Spoke to someone about it and he was thinking that that wouldn’t need to be done.
no, they do not need to be re-jeted !. the float needle seat has NOTHING to do with the jets.

·
Super Moderator
37,075 Posts
Guess I’ll have to take it to the shop because I can’t rejet the carb myself.
don't bother, most dealerships wont touch an atv thats over 10 years old !. plus, even if they will work on it ( which i doubt they will ? ), all they will tell you is it needs a new carb.

·
Super Moderator
37,075 Posts
simple: once the float needle sticks '' open '' ?, fuel cant flow fast enough out of the over flow tube, once this takes place, it back flows through the intake valve, down through and past the piston, then reaches the lower engine, into the engine oil, once this takes place ?, and you run it this way ?, your going to ruin the engine !.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts