Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of a sudden gas started leaking from the stem coming off the bottom of the float bowl. I looked at my other rancher and there is some tubing come off that stem to drain back by the rear suspension. This rancher has no tubing and all of the gas drained out that stem onto the garage floor. Why did this happen? There must have been something in the bowl that deteriated? The tubing on this one must have fallen off? Guess I'm doing a rebuild.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
float needle stuck open.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
The needle valve is either worn out (they have a rubber tip), stuck open (usually dirt/debris) or has a corroded seat. You could try draining the float bowl with the drain screw. If that has no effect best practice would be to replace the needle valve. OEM would be the better option for a replacement.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't driven it for a few months, so I'm guessing it probably eroded. I'll pick up a rebuild kit. The carb looks hard to get out. Any tips? Better to take out from the side or from above? Also, is there a link or parts diagram to order the tubing that comes off the float bowl.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
I haven't driven it for a few months, so I'm guessing it probably eroded. I'll pick up a rebuild kit. The carb looks hard to get out. Any tips? Better to take out from the side or from above? Also, is there a link or parts diagram to order the tubing that comes off the float bowl.
guessing this is a trx350 rancher ?, ( you never said which rancher you have ? ), it's easier to remove from above. I would remove air box, vent line from right side cover from air box, loosen the band clamps at both sides of carb, unhook the heater line from right rear side from the connector. once you pull the carb up, remove the left black plastic side cover, one screw holds it closed, take a 10mm open end wrench, loosen the lock nut on the throttle cable right there on top of the black plastic cover, pull the throttle cam up, pull the cable out of the cam, twist the cable out of the carb. 14mm open end wrench, remove the choke cable cap, careful !!!..the threads are plastic. now you should be able to lift the carb out of the atv. get your hands on the service manual, best tool you will ever have :).

Reactions: Goober

·
Premium Member
4,696 Posts
Service manual link below. Read the manual first it’s easier if you know what to expect.

You can try to run some seafoam through it to clear any clogs. The bowl goes dry and the float settles and sometimes sticks open.

If you’re going to overhaul it:
Get an OEM rebuild kit, a can of Berrymans Chemtool a pack of qtips and a bundle of pipe cleaners some Blue nitrile gloves and a little covered tub to soak your carb body. Don’t lose or throw anything away and don’t scratch or use sandpaper on anything. That Berrymans will kill brain cells and pull all the oils from your skin

When you get ready to do it, post up a thread and you can ask for help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts