Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 86 TRX350D that I am hoping to add a winch to in the future. Am looking at the 2500lb one from Harbor Freight. Goes on sale from time to time for $59.

Anything special I should consider when setting it up?

Like I said this is future, still replacing the front wheel bearings at present.

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
man, for what trouble your gonna go through to mount a winch plate on that ?, just spend the money, and buy a warn pro vantage 2500s !. but hey, it's your atv, your cash, your time :). which ever winch you put on it ?, use a roller fairlead, don't waste your time with a hawse fairlead !. as to how I mounted my winch plate on my '89 trx350D foreman ?, I had a piece of 3/16 steel plate cut the width and length to sit right on top of the frame tube just behind the front plastic grill, all the way back to just in front of the oil cooler fan. then I welded it on the tube frame. make sure to pre-drill your winch mounting holes. and you will need to trim both left and right inner splash guards to allow for the ends of the winch to clear, and mount on the plate.

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
I will be mounting it myself and don't see any big expense in that part. I can get a plate and fab it up myself. I was more concerned with any wiring issues to avoid.
most all winches all wire up basically the same way. not sure if this cheapo will have a mini rocker switch ?, but this topic has been covered many times here on how to wire a winch to an atv :). the one thing I can't stress enough ?..DO NOT HARD WIRE IT STAIGHT TO THE BATTERY !. YOU WANT TO KILL POWER TO IT WHEN YOU SWITCH THE KEY OFF !. owners still wire them to the battery ?, me ?, I don't trust this !. why ?, simple..if the winch solenoid switch sticks ?, then you will be rushing to unbolt the cable from the battery !..lol. were-is, a simple turn of the ignition switch is faster !..lol.

Reactions: SamUK

· Registered
1,418 Posts
A winch will give you courage for those challenging sections of the trail, LOL. Seriously though, I would consider synthetic rope for the winch and regardless (cable or rope), I would go ahead and purchase a handy synthetic rope to expend the capabilities, i.e., another 50', perhaps something like this, https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=atv+winch+with+synthetic+rope&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=177589900924&hvpos=1t2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7487498062965321625&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9022724&hvtargid=kwd-56825645136&ref=pd_sl_77ew9wf82c_b

· Registered
8,309 Posts
harbor freight winches are cheap for a reason, there HIT and miss on IF they work and last
that is why Shade has pointed out there weakness, in WHY add one?
a winch is one of them things that when you NEED IT< you NEED it to work,
having one that is NOT as high of quality as a name brand one is, if, sort of a gamble on it working when needed to.

I have use super winch, winches for a LONG time, better quality than a harbor freight made one, IMO
and NOT as costly as a warn?
WARN , has two grades of winches(so does Super winch)
BUT even the WARN cheaper one';s cost more than the SUperwinch one's

NOT pushing super winch brand here , just stating facts,
you will find few negative info on super winch brands if you do a search, there rather known to be LONG lasting, and super customer service!

WARN< also, has very few if any negative opinions, other than there costs, they get a premium IMO< based on there NAME , good winches for sure, but over priced IMO!
Whcn buying a winch, I think its best to stick to name brands, that been in the game a LONG time and are NOT marketed for CHEAP prices,
Mile marker, ramsy, warn, super winch, are my suggestions on a winch!

NEXT< if you ADD a winch and then WISH to carry an extra 50 ft of line,
Just remember BUY a snatch block too! will come in handy!
OR add a good winch ATV kit,
Tractor supply ATV winch kits are nice and affordable too!

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
harbor freight winches are cheap for a reason, there HIT and miss on IF they work and last
that is why Shade has pointed out there weakness, in WHY add one?
a winch is one of them things that when you NEED IT< you NEED it to work,
having one that is NOT as high of quality as a name brand one is, if, sort of a gamble on it working when needed to.

I have use super winch, winches for a LONG time, better quality than a harbor freight made one, IMO
and NOT as costly as a warn?
WARN , has two grades of winches(so does Super winch)
BUT even the WARN cheaper one';s cost more than the SUperwinch one's

NOT pushing super winch brand here , just stating facts,
you will find few negative info on super winch brands if you do a search, there rather known to be LONG lasting, and super customer service!

WARN< also, has very few if any negative opinions, other than there costs, they get a premium IMO< based on there NAME , good winches for sure, but over priced IMO!
Whcn buying a winch, I think its best to stick to name brands, that been in the game a LONG time and are NOT marketed for CHEAP prices,
Mile marker, ramsy, warn, super winch, are my suggestions on a winch!

NEXT< if you ADD a winch and then WISH to carry an extra 50 ft of line,
Just remember BUY a snatch block too! will come in handy!
OR add a good winch ATV kit,
Tractor supply ATV winch kits are nice and affordable too!
yep, I bought a kit that came with a snatch block, d-shackle, two tree saver straps, and a carrying bag from warn. best money ever spent !.

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will be mounting it myself and don't see any big expense in that part. I can get a plate and fab it up myself. I was more concerned with any wiring issues to avoid.
most all winches all wire up basically the same way. not sure if this cheapo will have a mini rocker switch ?, but this topic has been covered many times here on how to wire a winch to an atv :). the one thing I can't stress enough ?..DO NOT HARD WIRE IT STAIGHT TO THE BATTERY !. YOU WANT TO KILL POWER TO IT WHEN YOU SWITCH THE KEY OFF !. owners still wire them to the battery ?, me ?, I don't trust this !. why ?, simple..if the winch solenoid switch sticks ?, then you will be rushing to unbolt the cable from the battery !..lol. were-is, a simple turn of the ignition switch is faster !..lol.
Shadetree

Thanks, that's the kind of info I was after.

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
Shadetree

Thanks, that's the kind of info I was after.
your welcome :).

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That Harbor Freight winch does not come with a rocker switch. Only a wireless remote that has a delay on and off so it's easy to wind it too far in or out. I suggest buying a KFI rocker switch and wiring it in:
https://www.kfiproducts.com/mini-rocker-handlebar-switch.html

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk
Never had a vehicle winch so will look into a rocker switch, didn't know there was one :grin. Thanks for the wiring offer. Will keep that in mind when I finally get one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.