Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I hope someone can shed some light on n issue ive been having with my 350 es.

After running the unit for about 20 minutes it runs out of gas. Things I have done.

New fuel filter
clean tank/ pet cock/ screen on petcock.

I have ran it with the cap off and no change in fuel starvation. if I blow in the vent tub after the filter goes dry it will fill up again and start.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
My guess is that you need a new petcock because the old petcock screen simply can't be cleaned enough anymore.

Or you could take an X-acto knife and cut the screen away but then run an inline filter in your fuel line.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
36,940 Posts
petcock is dirty, not letting fuel flow ?, or float needle is sticking closed ?.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
You might think blowing in the vent tube helps but this probably just gives time for the fuel to get to the carb. You could try running without the cap otherwise you'll have to isolate the restriction somewhere between the gas tank and the carb

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ran with the cap off, same affect.

A stuck float wouldn't cause the fuel filter to run empty.

Thanks for the input I will keep plugging away at it.

·
Super Moderator
36,940 Posts
Ran with the cap off, same affect.

A stuck float wouldn't cause the fuel filter to run empty.

Thanks for the input I will keep plugging away at it.
ummmm..yesssssssssss, I stuck float needle WILL stop the fuel from filling the filter !!, how do you think fuel flows ??, if the float needle is stuck closed ?, fuel can't even flow ?, so, this means, the fuel filter won't show any fuel going into, and out of it ?!.

·
Super Moderator
36,940 Posts
look at it like this, stick a straw down in a glass of water, put your finger over the top of the straw, what happens ?, the water in the straw does not move !, let go of the top of the straw, the water flows out the bottom, same thing here, cept the float needle is the finger holding back the fuel :).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the needle is stuck, how would the fuel get out of the filter? If he needle is stuck I could see the bowl going empty and fuel staying in the filter. If the filter is running dry obviously the needle is open. The fuel is traveling from the filter into the bowl.

Am I wrong?

The finger on top of the straw would describe no venting at the tank would it not?

·
Super Moderator
36,940 Posts
So the needle is stuck, how would the fuel get out of the filter? If he needle is stuck I could see the bowl going empty and fuel staying in the filter. If the filter is running dry obviously the needle is open. The fuel is traveling from the filter into the bowl.

Am I wrong?

The finger on top of the straw would describe no venting at the tank would it not?
the question you should be asking yourself ?, is the carb running out of fuel because it's not getting to it ?, or is the carb running out of fuel because the float needle is sticking closed, and not letting fuel flow ?. either way, pull the fuel line off the petcock, open it, does it flow good ?, or does it flow, then stop ?. if it stops ?, then something inside the petcock or tank is stopping it ?.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts