Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2011 rancher died saturday, it will crank but wont start. I dont hear the fuel pump when i turn the key on, only a buzz near the bottom of the seat. I assumed it was the fuel pump, but im not getting any voltage to the pump. I plan on replacing the fuel filter while i have it apart. I connected 12V to the fuel pump after i removed it, it works. I dont hear the relay click behind the battery. I have 12V at the harness the relay plugs into, so im inclined to believe the relay is bad. Some local "4 wheeler repairmen" i questioned today all told me it was probably something else. Is it common for this relay to go bad?

· Premium Member
2,608 Posts
If it starts and runs with 12 volt power directly applied to the fuel pump, then yes, I'd say replace the fuel pump relay. Do you have 12 volt power to the input side of the fuel pump relay?

Just don't leave the bike running in this condition because it could become a fire hazard . . . rolling Molotov Cocktail . . . with you riding it. Not good.

Rick

Reactions: cmanningjr

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it starts and runs with 12 volt power directly applied to the fuel pump, then yes, I'd say replace the fuel pump relay. Do you have 12 volt power to the input side of the fuel pump relay?

Just don't leave the bike running in this condition because it could become a fire hazard . . . rolling Molotov Cocktail . . . with you riding it. Not good.

Rick
Thanks, I ordered the relay and a new fuel filter kit yesterday. I only tested the pump by bumping it with a some wire direct to the battery.

· Premium Member
2,608 Posts
Thank you very much for reporting back to us and closing this repair out. It could help somebody else out later.

Rick

Reactions: misterclean59

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Back to square 1. After riding around my lease for a couple of hours this morning, it died again and the fuel pump is not coming on again. will have to break it down again and troubleshoot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts