Honda ATV Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
yeah I run av. fuel Its 100 octane and clean!! no additives in it!! it runs great an my quad and its alot cheaper than race fuel!! and I have a small airport 2mi from my house so why not run it! lol at 6.00 a gal. its way cheaper than race fuel at 8.50 a gal.? it makes the throttle response instant! and has a unique smell to it?

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
yeah I run av. fuel Its 100 octane and clean!! no additives in it!! it runs great an my quad and its alot cheaper than race fuel!! and I have a small airport 2mi from my house so why not run it! lol at 6.00 a gal. its way cheaper than race fuel at 8.50 a gal.? it makes the throttle response instant! and has a unique smell to it?
Any jet changes on that? I'm wanting to run a little higher of an octane in my prairie I'm building with a little lead in it for top end lube... stuck between 100ll and some vp u4.4. The 4.4 is oxygenated so It'll give more power, but for 90 bucks per 5 gallon I won't need that unless I enter a xc race with it, and even then I'd be mixed 1:4 or 1:3 with 93.... I'm figuring I can run the 100LL 50:50 with 93 if your having good luck out of it...

·
Registered
387 Posts
When I bought my new Rancher back in December and I was getting my how to operate tour, the guy told me running 87 octane was fine and that is what I run in my sons 95 Timberwolf also.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i personally would never use mid grade. how many people does anyone kno that uses that crap anyways. it just sits in the tanks at the gas stations for very long periods of time. between unleaded and premium. i personally use premium but unless your quad says to use it your fine using unleaded

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I always use 87 octane in all my stuff never had a problem but I do add seafoam if it sits more then a month just to stabalize it as our gas is not near what it used to be.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have tried to tell some of my friends and coworkers about the octane rating system and differences in fuel as I learned in HVAC school. My5sons explained it well with that article. Some just refuse to believe it but lower octane fuels have more heating power than higher octane fuels. The octane rating only refers to the ignition point. Jet fuel has a lower octane than regular unleaded. If they ran the higher octane they would call it a missile instead of a jet because thats what it would end up looking like. Higher octane fuels ignition point is higher to keep it from detonating from compression and heat before the end of the piston stroke. The engineers know a little more about this than I do so just put in what the manufacturers recommend. You are not going to gain by going above it.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I run 93 in all my small engines. Weed eater, 4 wheelers, riding mower. I also add 1 to 2 ounces of Stabil to each 5 gallon can when I bring it home from the gas station.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I only use 93 in mine (also in all outdoor power equipment) but it's mainly because I always fill up my car when filling up the gas containers. Since the car requires 93 it's just easier to keep dispensing in the container rather than having to re-swipe the card to fill the container and for a 5 gallon container it only costs about $1 more. Plus, I figure it can't hurt anything by using 93.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I run basic 87 octane enthanol free gasoline in my 450r

·
Premium Member
11,311 Posts
I have tried to tell some of my friends and coworkers about the octane rating system and differences in fuel as I learned in HVAC school. My5sons explained it well with that article. Some just refuse to believe it but lower octane fuels have more heating power than higher octane fuels. The octane rating only refers to the ignition point. Jet fuel has a lower octane than regular unleaded. If they ran the higher octane they would call it a missile instead of a jet because thats what it would end up looking like. Higher octane fuels ignition point is higher to keep it from detonating from compression and heat before the end of the piston stroke. The engineers know a little more about this than I do so just put in what the manufacturers recommend. You are not going to gain by going above it.
AMEN!!! Finally someone else understands this...:rating10:

21 - 33 of 33 Posts