Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Locks the diff solid, better be a pure mud bike because they are “unpleasant” to drive on the trails locked up like that, even in 2wd.

There is a company making lockers for the Can-ams now, it’s too bad they wouldn’t make the for the Honda’s too. Although I guess the Foreman’s and Rubicon’s have lockers anyway now so that cuts down on sales a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I wouldn't suggest getting one...makes it very hard to steer.... like mac said its "unpleasant" to drive on the trails

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought the steering would be a problem like the older 4x4 units Honda made, i.e., full time and will not do it to my Rancher. I'm surprised there isn't something relatively simple available given the price point is reasonably tight between the Rancher and Foreman and with plenty of units out there on the market......

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Yeah I drove one of those AWD Ranchers... i think it was a Rancher...maybe a foreman..... it had the ES... it was so hard to turn

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I thought the steering would be a problem like the older 4x4 units Honda made, i.e., full time and will not do it to my Rancher. I'm surprised there isn't something relatively simple available given the price point is reasonably tight between the Rancher and Foreman and with plenty of units out there on the market......
You could try this: http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/honda-fourtrax/27619-foreman-500-front-diff-lock.html

I remember seeing another thread where a guy did something similar, but also included pics of everything he tried and results. Couldn't find that thread though.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
The old DGL's HighLifter sold were perfect for Honda's, other than having to pull the diff and rebuild them once and awhile. But they no longer make them.

I would say you could probably buy a diff from a 2014+ Foreman and swap it in with a little effort. Not sure how far off the mounts would be and you'd have to kind of ******* up the wiring on it a bit. Diff is around $650.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The old DGL's HighLifter sold were perfect for Honda's, other than having to pull the diff and rebuild them once and awhile. But they no longer make them.

I would say you could probably buy a diff from a 2014+ Foreman and swap it in with a little effort. Not sure how far off the mounts would be and you'd have to kind of ******* up the wiring on it a bit. Diff is around $650.
I would buy a Foreman before getting into that challenge, LOL...

·
Registered
1,203 Posts

Is the Foreman AWD or is it 4WD??

·
Registered
7,154 Posts

Is the Foreman AWD or is it 4WD??
Both the Foreman and the Rubicon have a selectable locker. So 3 modes, 2wd, 4wd, and 4wd locked.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Agh ok ...that's really nice... so when you lock it in 4WD does that lock the front diff or the rear diff??? Wait.... sorry I don't know anything about Utility.... is it independent suspension or a solid rear end

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Agh ok ...that's really nice... so when you lock it in 4WD does that lock the front diff or the rear diff??? Wait.... sorry I don't know anything about Utility.... is it independent suspension or a solid rear end
Rear diff is a spool regardless, always locked. The Foreman has a solid rear end, rubicon is independent.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts