Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, having some issues with the clutch slipping on my TRX400 FGA 2005. I had a bad angle sensor code. Change it. The code disappear but the transmission is slipping a lot now... maybe it's not related with the bad sensor change but I wonder if resetting the ECU (a lot of button pressing + taking the rear wheel off etc) could solve the clutch slipping. I started the ECU reset but didn't complete it at the time cause i had to take my "snowtrail kit" and didn't have all the tools. The code just disappear so i thought it was find. But since the clutch is slipping a lot when i ask for power (up hills or deep snow) i wonder if the ECU reset could lead to that? Hope someone here could help ;)

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Back when I used to have issues, and even a minutely slipping clutch, I had to first fix the clutch to be able to get auto mode to work correctly. With these 400FA's/FGA's you need to not have any clutch slip going on. So if you already have noticable clutch slip, fix that first, then do your reset.

And what size tires are you running?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And what size tires are you running?
[/QUOTE]
It's winter here so i use a traction trail kit TJD (first génération). So it's not on "wheel" since i changed the angle sensor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Back when I used to have issues, and even a minutely slipping clutch, I had to first fix the clutch to be able to get auto mode to work correctly.
My "auto mode" seems to works perfectly... except mostly when i start moving or climbing step hill at low speed for exemple. And it doesn't do it very long; just a few secondes until it move normally and then, i could get some speed and climb a big hill at a good speed on "auto mode" without clutch slipping.

Also, how do you "fix" the clutch? From what i understood, there is no adjusting screw on this model... do i have to change the clutch? Thanks !

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
My "auto mode" seems to works perfectly... except mostly when i start moving or climbing step hill at low speed for exemple. And it doesn't do it very long; just a few secondes until it move normally and then, i could get some speed and climb a big hill at a good speed on "auto mode" without clutch slipping.

Also, how do you "fix" the clutch? From what i understood, there is no adjusting screw on this model... do i have to change the clutch? Thanks !
Our 400's only have the centrifugal clutch, not adjustable, just have to replace. The adjustment screw on the footshift honda are for the change clutch only, which our 400's don't have. The footshift models also have a centrifugal clutch that can't be adjusted on them either.

What kind of oil are you running?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What kind of oil are you running?
I used the ATV oil that NAPA store sold me. They say it fit my Honda. I run it maybe 15 hours since my oil change in November (closest Honda store is about an hour from home...).

I have to say that my "oil temp" light went on when the angle sensor broke. I had to run maybe 2 miles on 1st gear to get home up a hill so it when on maybe for 2 minutes when i was almost home. So i'm gonna change the oil again.

Is there any chance that it could be fix by:
a. resetting the ecu?
b. changing the oil?

And since i might change the clutch, is there like a "whole clutch kit" i can buy ? Any brand to avoid or to choose over?

Thansk

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I used the ATV oil that NAPA store sold me. They say it fit my Honda. I run it maybe 15 hours since my oil change in November (closest Honda store is about an hour from home...).

I have to say that my "oil temp" light went on when the angle sensor broke. I had to run maybe 2 miles on 1st gear to get home up a hill so it when on maybe for 2 minutes when i was almost home. So i'm gonna change the oil again.

Is there any chance that it could be fix by:
a. resetting the ecu?
b. changing the oil?

And since i might change the clutch, is there like a "whole clutch kit" i can buy ? Any brand to avoid or to choose over?

Thansk
Make sure the oil NAPA gave you meets JASO-MA or MA2. The wrong oil can cause your clutch to slip. I'm not aware of an aftermarket clutch shoe/weight, spring, and hub set for our model either. OEM are what I replaced mine with. It's held up real well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Make sure the oil NAPA gave you meets JASO-MA or MA2. The wrong oil can cause your clutch to slip. I'm not aware of an aftermarket clutch shoe/weight, spring, and hub set for our model either. OEM are what I replaced mine with. It's held up real well.
Thanks for your answer and time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts