Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, my TRX200SX has factory tie rod ends that I think are in pretty good shape. There is a LITTLE bit of play, but its only noticeable when you jack the machine up. However, I wanted to replace them, and I found a full set on ebay brand new for 25 bucks. I got them and they look OK. They are not OEM or the more expensive "All Balls" versions. In fact, now that I have looked around, they are very cheap in cost.

Has anyone used these? Are they OK to use? I don't care if they wear out faster....I can replace them with fancy one when I have more money to burn on them. The ones I got are sold by Caltric.

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
I imagine those may last quite a while. Rig up a way to pack them full of good grease before you put them on and grease them occasionally forcing any water or mud out of them while keeping the grease in them fresh. They'll be fine.... grease is cheap... This is how I take care of all those small friction points on a 4x4. Every moving part on the machine becomes greasible and it only takes a few minutes to prepare each for your grease gun.

EDIT:
Good wheel alignment is one of the keys to getting long life from tie rods.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. Thanks for the tip. I was more concerned with the cheap cost. 25 for a full set left and right vs. 70 of a name brand. I'm concerned for their quality. I don't want to have it break and me die because I cheaped out. Lol.

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Good point! I hadn't considered that. Made in china I imagine so anything is possible. May have a plastic socket in them to capture the ball joint, then simply crimped shut... Maybe someone has them on their ride and will chime in.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
I bought cheap 'no name' ball joints, just branded as 'HD Honda', they aren't OEM. I've bounced through ruts, mud holes, and been above the plastics in mud and water and they still seem to be holding up just fine. I also run a little 'tow out' rather than tow in as It gives a tighter turning circle.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, I'll hang on to them. If I return, then I pay 20% to restock, and probably 10 bucks to ship....

Ill keep for spares or wait until mine are actually worn a lot more.

Thanks for the info!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts