Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 fourtrax 300 with new CDI and small but working battery. It turns over strong but only tries to crank with charger hooked up at 40amps. IT only has spark for one revolution without jumper box. Runs fine on jumper box. Stator could be problem but not 100% sure. Also may be rectifier but finding a six wire aftermarket replacement has been difficult. Could it be something else? Looked service manual over but still not sure what to purchase. Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
12,647 Posts
first question on a new CDI problem is always , is it OEM Honda , or after market other than a Rick's CDI >

40 amp charger on your battery is going to kill the battery if it already hasn't and very well could have killed the CDI

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IF cdi is bad why will it run at all? IT tries to fire off at first without charger but quickly dies. It's like I loose power to the spark plug. To answer your question, it is a cheap CDI box. Will a bad rectifier cause this symptoms? Does it require the voltage from the stator run? I’m only putting the 40amps in for a short time so the battery isn’t fried yet. Battery Is small but turns motor over just fine. I’m like most of us and can’t just throw money at it without a good idea of the problem. THanks a ton for your help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts