Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, so i have this 92 fourtrax canadian model the wiring is some what of a mess and i think it has a bad cdi box i want to know where to start with the wiring harness just so i can kick it over to get a spark. what will i need to have wired to get spark? ignition,cdi,coil, kill switch? also is there any specic places i need grounded out to get spark? basically where i am at with this is i have no clue what the spark issue is and i dont want to spend any big money on the bike until i get that issue cleared up

Thanks guys

·
Registered
170 Posts
Have 2 of them, running when parked scenario when I bought them. Had not found this forum at that time, if the CID does not work it will not run! Best get a shop service manual, makes a world of difference. LOL. Great knowledge, advice, and help on this forum, it will be so much easier for you as you are on the right site. Shadetree is an expert on these machines (he will explain that the 92 is the American 89) and is great with helping people. I will be following your thread as it will most likely give some more information that may help me at somebtime. Canada is a large country, saying that is were you are from is about as enlighting as saying 3rd rock from the sun. Good luck - it will run.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
@camchate..thanks for the kind words :). @ OP, well, as much as we all would like for these old girls to fire right up, and run ?, it's just not the simple !. what I mean is, you just can't start in the middle of your issue, and think a quick fix is going to solve your problem ?, sorry bro..it just doesn't work that way, spec with this old girl !..lol. sooo, with that said, first thing you need to do is get your hands on a service manual !, as this is the best tool you will ever have when it comes to answers to your questions about this atv !. second thing you need to do ?, is get the wire harness sorted out ?, either be replacing with a good used one ?, or trying to salvage your old one on it now ?. either way, this is a must to do !. then you need to make sure the ignition switch is in good working order ?, no bypasses, this wire to that wire ?!. DON'T DO THIS !. I don't mind helping some one ?, but if they are going to cut corners just so they can ride ?, well..i'm not your go-to man here !..lol. i'll simply let this ride on by. you will need to test the compression sooner or later ?, so this means you need a compression tester ?, these engines on that model require a lot more psi than these newer models ?, around 178 give or take ? ( don't have my service manual sitting in front of me right now ? ). you will need an ohm meter, so you can ohm out the stator, and reg/rec, lots of videos on youtube that shows you how to do this ! :).

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have an 86 similar issues, it was running great but the aftermarket fuel pump took a dump. I got it replaced with a self regulating one and i have no spark now. I have tested the coil it ohms out right but i dont even have power there. My kill switch works flawlessly ohms out like it should. The cooling fan worked when she got hot. I ohmed the stator and she looked fine. Leaning towards the cdi box myself. Is there anything other direction i can go? If not where do i find a cdi?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
I have an 86 similar issues, it was running great but the aftermarket fuel pump took a dump. I got it replaced with a self regulating one and i have no spark now. I have tested the coil it ohms out right but i dont even have power there. My kill switch works flawlessly ohms out like it should. The cooling fan worked when she got hot. I ohmed the stator and she looked fine. Leaning towards the cdi box myself. Is there anything other direction i can go? If not where do i find a cdi?

I can tell you right now, your problem lies with your fuel pump ?, or the fuel cut-off relay ?.. just so you know ?, most oem fuel pumps ( Honda ), work off the fuel cut-off relay, and this relay ties back to the c.d.i...in other words, if the c.d.i. is not seeing the relay working ?, it won't fire the spark plug.

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
Good question check out the ignition diagnostic section of the manual there's a wring out procedure for the CDI. When you get started, post up a fresh thread.

You're gonna have to spring for an OEM fuel pump

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
Good question check out the ignition diagnostic section of the manual there's a wring out procedure for the CDI. When you get started, post up a fresh thread.

You're gonna have to spring for an OEM fuel pump
can't count on my fingers and toes, how many times I have warned owners of this model to BUY AN OEM PUMP !..LOL vacuum, after market pumps ?..WORTHLESS !!..LOL.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
My service manual told me its tired of seeing my face lol i will see what i can find out in the next few days

if you think that service manual is tired of seeing your face ?, can ya guess what a dealer would be thinking...IF THEY EVEN WOULD CHECK IT OUT ?!..which by the way..most Honda dealerships won't touch anything over 10 years old !, you and your service manual better make up ?, cuz yer gonna see a lot of each other !..lmfao.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Yeah shades a good one, sometimes never uses paragraphs, carb string i think, best read ever!

Reactions: shadetree

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
I believe it, i fell asleep on it 3 nights ago. Between the service manual and reading Mr shadetree's posts.

lol, I've got lots of post around here, yu'll be busy a very long time !..lol.

Reactions: _Wilson_

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
For Mitchell having seen your wiring I think Job #1 is to get it all hooked back together according to the manual.
Jmarsh how does your wiring look? Oh I see you said it was running good.
Let's start here.
Your wiring will have to be right to get both oil and neutral light

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
okay so i have the service manual! thanks goober i am about to go out and play with the harness and test the resistane like it says to do but i have one question. is there only one main spot the harness grounds to the frame? like do all the ground wires splice in to one green ground wire and bolt to the frame? thats what it looks like to me in the manual. if so where is it located?

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
okay so i have the service manual! thanks goober i am about to go out and play with the harness and test the resistane like it says to do but i have one question. is there only one main spot the harness grounds to the frame? like do all the ground wires splice in to one green ground wire and bolt to the frame? thats what it looks like to me in the manual. if so where is it located?
I can think of three places it grounds to frame ?. one, from the battery, two, at the right side near, and above the kick starter, and three, at the spark plug coil. these are right off the top of my head :).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
okay guys i pulled the cdi as the Manuel says to do, so i can test for resistance, continuity and voltage. the Manuel i have is for 87-89, it tells me i should test for continuity on the harness side with these colored wires as follows

ignition coil/primary bl/y g/w
alternator/exciter bl/r g/w
pulse generator bu/y g/w
engine stop bl/w g/w
gear pedal lg/r g/w

the colors of my cdi/ harness side are as follows
gr
white
bu
bu/r
light blue
black and brown

dose anyone know what colors are for what on my harness??

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
okay guys i pulled the cdi as the Manuel says to do, so i can test for resistance, continuity and voltage. the Manuel i have is for 87-89, it tells me i should test for continuity on the harness side with these colored wires as follows

ignition coil/primary bl/y g/w
alternator/exciter bl/r g/w
pulse generator bu/y g/w
engine stop bl/w g/w
gear pedal lg/r g/w

the colors of my cdi/ harness side are as follows
gr
white
bu
bu/r
light blue
black and brown

dose anyone know what colors are for what on my harness??
look at the wiring diagram , trace the colored wires, it shows you what they lead too :).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
im an idiot lol turns out that was the fan control unit i was looking at. SO finally i found the cdi tested the wires all is within the right resistance except the gear pedal has no continuity in neutral ( i think because the nutural wire and reverse wire is split) and the pulse generator wires have zero resistance! the problem i now have is that i can not seem to locate the pulse generator. i figured it would stand out any idea where it may be located?

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
im an idiot lol turns out that was the fan control unit i was looking at. SO finally i found the cdi tested the wires all is within the right resistance except the gear pedal has no continuity in neutral ( i think because the nutural wire and reverse wire is split) and the pulse generator wires have zero resistance! the problem i now have is that i can not seem to locate the pulse generator. i figured it would stand out any idea where it may be located?
you can't find it, because its inside the left hand engine cover..lol. it has a wire with the stator wires ( which those are yellow ), but the pulse generator ( which I call, and most people call, the pick-up coil ) should have a blue wire if I remember right ?.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.