Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there
Time to replace the tires on a few of the old fourtrax 300fw I'm looking for information on what is available in the stock size . I have found 4 tire sets on ebay for the Kenda Bear Claw $270 and another set of SunF tires for $260 although that set has a 24x8x11 rear.
Not doing mud bog riding, California riding that does include coastal clay mud in the winter, high sierra rides with boulders and rocks.
I would really like to hear from anyone that is running the Bear Claw and SunF or another tire that matches the stock size.
Any pictures of the tires on your quad would be great to see.
Thanks !

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
Usually on the 300’s I switch to a 12” wheel and run 25’s front and rear. Trying to stick with 11” rims and the stock sizes really limits your options.

Just off the top of my head without looking into it, I would say you could buy Shadetree’s beloved Mud Lite AT in the stock sizes, Interco may also sell. Vampires or TSL’s in stock sizes. Dirt Devils may be another. There were tires made in those sizes years ago that are not made anymore, I know Mud Bugs were but they stopped, likely because nobody bought them.

I have no experience with the SunF tires but I have ran a couple sets of bearclaws. They are comparable to the Mud Lite AT I mentioned, a good stock replacement tire but won’t impress you if your expecting more than that. Not good at anything but decent all around. Their best features would be that they are round, and hold air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,347 Posts
Mudthrowers.com posts some great info on tires and provides info on stuff you plan to run on. https://www.mudthrowers.com/

I run ATP Mud Lite AT on most of my work 300, with a set of Kenda and Carlisle 589. I have Carlisle 589 AT on my personal 300 (they were free take-offs). All stock sizes because i like the way the stock 300 runs where i am (steep rocky rangeland).

Rangeland you can get mostly soft turf, i stay out of mud but we have a lot of cactus too. I find the cactus likes to stick on to the Mud Lites between treads. Never had a flat with them but this causes me some concern.

Kendas seem to be a great all round tire–tread seems to shed mud and cactus. Carlisle too.

Hey @mac102004 you gotta pic of a 300 with 12” wheels? Maybe on of the rear offset?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow thanks for the info so far, I have seen many people change the rims to 12" for a wider range of tires to choose from but I have 4 300's so I don't want to buy 16 rims as well LOL, with the transfer case system on these I have also heard it is important to have that 1" diameter difference front and rear when riding on hard pack.
I think range riding best describes the type of riding we do with a combination of rocks, sticks and not deep mud.

I'm leaning towards these SunF that look like a Maxxis knock off

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-4-23x8-11-24x8-11-ATV-UTV-All-Terrain-AT-6-Ply-Tires-A033-by-SunF/302791692958

Or these Bear Claws although I'm a little concerned about getting a whole from a stick in the voids between the lugs or ripping a lug off on a granite boulder.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-2000-HONDA-TRX-300-4WD-BEAR-CLAW-6-PLY-ATV-TIRES-NEW-SET-4-23X8-11-24X9-11/141541846436

Hoping someone on here is running these, I have found the mud throwers website very helpful.
Thanks!

·
Registered
7,152 Posts

There is a few of one with 12" ITP's and 25's that I ran for work.

Replacing rims AND tires on 4 is a but daunting. Although if you can find some factory take off's with rims I'd sooner run those than most of the OEM replacement tires mentioned in this thread lol.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
I have the Sunf tires on my 300. The reason I bought them is because they looked somewhat aggressive and I could get all 4 that I needed in stock size from Amazon. To be honest, this ATV sees light trail duty. I have an Outlander that I use when the going get rough! I use this Honda around the yard, towing a wagon. The 2 times this year it has been on the trail the tires perform fine. But I'm not taking this ATV through deep mud or abusing it so I'm not really one to ask! I didn't want to get into changing the front rim size because I want it to stay original.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts