Honda ATV Forum banner

Fourtrax 300 - WELL THIS IS NEW???

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Andy Bauska 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I recently picked up a fourtrax 300. It was running a week ago. It has compression, it has spark, it has fuel, it has a new plug, and valves are where they need to be. It still won't run. I am at a lost. I don't know what else to check. Can someone PLEASE HELP?

#3 ·
I was thinking that or a sheared flywheel key. If I can ever get the dang shift lever off I was going to remove the stator cover and look. I kinda got a glance at timing chain through the valve inspection cover. How much play should be on the chain with a properly working tensioner. I know more about cars than four wheelers so I'm kinda learning on the fly.

#5 ·
How much play should be on the chain with a properly working tensioner.
You take out the chain adjuster , that will let it spring out, then you put the adjuster back into the hole it came out of , there should be a about 1/4 -3/8 inch gap between the base of the adjuster and the jug , if the base of the adjuster touches the jug , either the chain is worn or the adjuster bad

You say you have spark , fuel an compression --------- can you feel a suck and push with your finger over the spark plug hole

#10 ·
Na the timing chain could not jump off, and have good compression. The timing chain slipped of the cam gear in my '93 300 and it had next to no compression, later I found out my exhaust valve was bent. Try cleaning the carb. I really don't think it is timing. When it ran did the chain slap? also is the tensioner all the way in?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.