Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2000 Honda FourTrax 300 4x4 TRX300FW.
I’m looking for snow plow and winch recommendations.
What brand, model, type and width of plow and winch combination do you have or would you recommend. I’d prefer to simply bold it on rather than having to do any modifications.

I’d also be interested in hearing how well the FourTrax 300 performs while plowing snow.

I’m in the Philadelphia area.

Thank you!

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
I use nothing but warn winches, KFI mounting plate, roller fairlead on all my winch jobs. I love the warn provantage 2500s , is has the rope, very strong !. can't help ya on the plow ?, I don't work in the snow..i play in it !..lol. you will need weight on the atv in the rear for traction, a few sands bags or tire chains should work great.

· Premium Member
5,683 Posts
I have and old 48” Cycle Country (CC) plow with a set of mid mount pushtubes with a CC manual lift; I used an old CC mount. CC was bought by Kolpin and now KFI so check their website and fleabay.

I bought a KFI winch and mount but I don’t need it for the plow with the manual lift. Just remembered I took off the plow mount earlier this spring.

Yes ^^^ what Shadetree said—lightweight short wheelbase TRX300–depends on the type of snow you get.

Attachments

· Registered
16 Posts
I have and old 48” Cycle Country (CC) plow with a set of mid mount pushtubes with a CC manual lift; I used an old CC mount. CC was bought by Kolpin and now KFI so check their website and fleabay.

I bought a KFI winch and mount but I don’t need it for the plow with the manual lift. Just remembered I took off the plow mount earlier this spring.

Yes ^^^ what Shadetree said–lightweight short wheelbase TRX300—depends on the type of snow you get.
I have the same plow on my old '95 Foreman 400. Can move a lot of snow in a short time. Like you I use the manual lift because it is faster lifting and lowering. I do have a Warn 2500 winch if I ever wanted to use it. I do not have any extra weight or chains. It does everything I needed it to the last 10 yrs. without any problems. If I had weight or chains I think it would be harder on the drive train and engine. An average 4" - 6" snow here is no problem. Clean all sidewalks and several driveways in a 2 block radius after a snowfall. Playing in the snow and all my neighbors like me too.

· Registered
1,418 Posts
Great advice above and would only add, think about whether mid or front mount plow. Personally, I have owned a mid and like the idea of transferring the plow more towards the mid region vs. out front. I also used two sand tubes across the rear rack which adds about 150lbs and recommend adding some weight to counter the plow weight/load that far out front...

· Premium Member
5,683 Posts
What brand, model, type and width of plow and winch combination do you have or would you recommend
Here’s the manual lift kit for that old pushtube set:

Attachments

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you very much for all the responses. After reading them I’d quite relieved. I was afraid the consensus would have been that a Honda 300 4x4 is too small for plowing snow. Good advice on the sand tubes for weight. I was also surprised that folks seemed to like the manual lift. It makes sense though that it’s quicker to raise and lower than a winch.

I took a look at the Kolpin website. The high rise push tube works only with a winch. The 33-0070 Storm Chaser will work with the manual lift, however. Also, I see Kolpin has a winch mount. Do these require any cutting of the body or other modifications? I was thinking a WARN 2000 or 2500. Perhaps the pricier high rise push tube is overkill anyway. I’d think that the high rise joint may cause the plow to lift up on packed snow rather than cutting good since there is less weight in front of the joint than if it was one piece.
As far as plow width do you recommend a 48” or the next size up? With it angled hard left or right I’d prefer not to pack down unplowed snow.
Thanks again!

· Premium Member
5,683 Posts
I found the KFI mount to go on OK–not ideal as it’s a super tight fit. Also you will have to mount the winch contactor somewhere– this usually means mounting in the toolbox (drybox)–so you will have to drill holes in the dry box to mount the contactor and run cables.
I honestly don’t think a winch is necessary for snow removal.

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
I found the KFI mount to go on OK–not ideal as it’s a super tight fit. Also you will have to mount the winch contactor somewhere– this usually means mounting in the toolbox (drybox)–so you will have to drill holes in the dry box to mount the contactor and run cables.
I honestly don’t think a winch is necessary for snow removal.
what if he wanted to have a winch for other stuff ?, why not put the warn pro vantage 2500s, roller fair lead, and call it a done deal. ( he can choose which ever winch he wants by the way ) :).

Reactions: Goober

· Premium Member
5,683 Posts
True. A winch would be great to have for other reasons but there are some minor things do deal with:
My ST1700 barely fit into the space—the engagement lever touches the bottom of the fender. Adds more weight to the front of that quad. Plus a bit of drilling in the drybox to run the cabling and mount the contactor

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
True. A winch would be great to have for other reasons but there are some minor things do deal with:
My ST1700 barely fit into the space–the engagement lever touches the bottom of the fender. Adds more weight to the front of that quad. Plus a bit of drilling in the drybox to run the cabling and mount the contactor
I had no trouble mounting my winch on my '89 trx350D foreman, where I put it ?, it fit perfect !, and welded the plate to the main cross frame tubes, so it does not sit right at the front, right in front of the fan, snug as a bug in a rug..lol.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for all the help.
Does anyone have any experience with the Swisher plows? I like that they can be lifted high for potential stacking snow. The attachment points on the ATV attach to the lower A arms in the front and the hitch hole in the back. The hitch hole attachment seems like a great idea since I believe on the 300 towing capacity is 850lbs. Not sure if the a arm attachment is ok or will cause potential issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.