Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother in-law recently bought a Honda Fourtrax 250 from a friend of his that never used it. It's in pretty bad shape and his friend knew nothing about it. So I need to know if there is anyway to find out what year it is without a manual or anything, what type of oil it uses and if there is supposed to be 5 disconnected hose on it. If needed I can take some pictures of the hoses to show you. Thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
ok so far i know its a trx 250 fourtrax 85-87 but do you think you could take 3 more pics of the carb to tell better where the hoses go. The 3 pics would be of the other 3 sides.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Do they not have the year on the frame in the front like they do now? If not maybe you could find the VIN if it's not faded out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are three more pictures. There is only the two hoses, one on each side and the hose on the bottom. There is no where else on the carb for them to go. At least not that I can see. Also do you know what oil and oil filter it would use? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you so much. After we get it all cleaned up and put back together I'll let you guys know how it's running. Thanks for all of your help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, so my brother-in-law put the carburetor back in after I cleaned it. It started right up and let him go full throttle, but now it revs really high even when it's gear. I made sure to put the idle screw back exactly where it was so I don't think that's the problem. Also he was topping it out in 5th gear and it just died on him and wouldn't start. So we push it back home, try it again and works for about half a block, then did the same thing in 3rd gear. So any idea's as to what the problem could be?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, never mind. I figured it out. He half assed it putting the carb back in and the gas tank sitting right on top of the throttle and choke cables so they couldn't close completely. I took it apart again and did it correctly, now everything is running great.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
I agree. also the hoses are for over flow and venting of the carb they lead to nowhere but the ground.

this maybe stupid to add but get motorcycle oil for it. atv motorcycle etc have a wet clutch and requir a specific oil.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
7 Participants
TRX2fiveO
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing