Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Currently have an '08 TRX250TM fourtrax.

I have allot of mates with quads such as the fourtrax 250 (and suzuki 250's, 420's etc) that like to do a fair lot of water crossings down the local river. None of us have snorkels or anything like that but i am concerned about several other things which is why i dont like going near it as they do. Water is generally always below the front rack and most of the time maybe up to top of tyres.

Firstly, what is going to be my main concern going through water ?

Will water get in my diff ? Anywhere else ?

They all say the only way water will get in my quad is if my seals are f*cked. But i still think water will get in my diff and ill have to change my diff oil ? which just isnt worth it.

Thanks

·
Registered
90 Posts
If water could get in, couldnt the oil get out? I would say if your oil isnt getting out of the diff then nothing can get in either. Think of trucks backing a boat in at a boat ramp, water shouldnt get in, unless theres a place that the oil can leak out. Catch my drift?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

They all say the only way water will get in my quad is if my seals are f*cked. But i still think water will get in my diff and ill have to change my diff oil ? which just isnt worth it.
Sometimes water can get in a diff when you have good seals, some models are worse than others. As you ride, the diff will heat up and try to build pressure inside. That is the purpose of the vent line to let out the pressure. When you enter water, the water will cool down the diff. When the diff cools, it will draw air back in. If the vent is stopped up or partially stopped up, it will draw water back through around the seals, instead of air back through the vent line. I believe some models might pull water back through the seals even if the vent line isn't stopped up, so I guess it depends on if the vent line can keep up, too. It's almost impossible to keep water out of some diffs. If you ride in water, check your diffs often.

As far as water, I would be more worried about getting water in the engine. If you ride in water, there is no guarantee you won't get water in the diffs or the engine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Sometimes water can get in a diff when you have good seals, some models are worse than others. As you ride, the diff will heat up and try to build pressure inside. That is the purpose of the vent line to let out the pressure. When you enter water, the water will cool down the diff. When the diff cools, it will draw air back in. If the vent is stopped up or partially stopped up, it will draw water back through around the seals, instead of air back through the vent line. I believe some models might pull water back through the seals even if the vent line isn't stopped up, so I guess it depends on if the vent line can keep up, too. It's almost impossible to keep water out of some diffs. If you ride in water, check your diffs often.

As far as water, I would be more worried about getting water in the engine. If you ride in water, there is no guarantee you won't get water in the diffs or the engine.
wow so on the 250 fourtrax just a very shallow bit of water can mess up a diff!

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
wow so on the 250 fourtrax just a very shallow bit of water can mess up a diff!
It can happen to any diff, but some are worse than others. A small amount of water really won't hurt the diff for a short time, but it's better to keep it changed and not let the water stay in long. Some diffs aren't too bad about getting water in them, but others are. I wasn't necessarily talking about the Fourtrax 250. My point is, if you are getting a lot of water in the diffs and have good seals, what I described above is probably what's happening.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Great info from Helmut! Just my 2 cents...
I have experienced many automotive diffs that get water in them with the vent line properly hooked up when they are used for off roading. Its is very often overlooked, but it does happen that water can push past a seal even if it holds water in, due to temp changes and pressures. If you havent read... yamaha had a problem with their V8 engine that was used on boat motors and volvo cars for this problem. Someone would wash the engine and then the counter-balance shaft bearing would fail shortly after... knock-knock-clatter-clatter... followed by a $13000 bill.
I would actually be more worried about swallowing some water and bending a rod, because I see that more than anything. Living at water level, I get to swap a lot of engines full of bent rods and cracked cylinder sleeves.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, well went through a little bit of water again today :( but it was only up to the foot racks thing where you rest your feet, water was just coming over them. Is this to high for comfort ?

Im gonna try stay clear of those river crossings where water is up even higher.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Thanks guys, well went through a little bit of water again today but it was only up to the foot racks thing where you rest your feet, water was just coming over them. Is this to high for comfort ?
No, that's not bad at all.

Im gonna try stay clear of those river crossings where water is up even higher.
I like to keep the water below the carb. If you do that, you should be fine. Just check your diff occasionally for water in it. If you start finding water in the diff, then you might consider staying out of the water as much, if you don't want the added maintenance it requires. Like I said in the other post, some are worse than others about getting water in the diffs. Yours may not be too bad.

Also, where is the diff vent line ? down low or up high ?
The diff vent is up high, usually up under the gas tank, near the handlebars. Check it, occasionally, where it hooks to the diff. The hose tends to break or split where it clamps on to the nipple on the diff. Checking and repairing that when it breaks will help keep water out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts